Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

Lost (2-1) I think away at Blackpool when Peter Gilbert got sent off... I think it was the linesman that signalled the foul... so about 100 Wednesday fans left the stand (scaffolding basically) to go and abuse the linesman... it was a good excuse to cover up for how poo we were. 

——————

1-0 home defeat to Rotherham when that winger Jamal Campbell Rice smashed it in for them... I had to watch an overweight Leon Clarke pretend to make himself available for a pass by keeping his back to goal and moving a whole 4 yards to the right, then 4 yards to the left when he didn’t get it (repeat) as if it could be disguised as ‘effort’ somehow.  

• Haha 1

One of the worst and most frustrating moments was sitting at the opening game of the promotion season against Colchester watching them take 3 easy points of a limp team with a limp manager with no idea. The season finished on one of the best highs I've known watching the club at Cardiff - one extreme to another has always been the Wednesday way:

1 7 August 2004 Colchester United H 0 – 3 24,138

1 hour ago, ThurcroftOwl said:

Am going for two nightmare matches. One was the Everton game in the mid 80’s when we could have gone top of the old first division and got hammered. 5 down at half time, finished 5 -1 l think with fatty Reid running amok in midfield. Other one was the Chelsea cup tie in 84 l think. 3-0 up and cruising. Collapsed after half time with that loathsome little rat Thomas scoring and Dixon poaching a goal that was way offside.  Ended 4-4 and we lost the replay.

I'm sure the Everton game was a cup match, after a series of 1-1 draws the game returned to Hillsborough, bumper crowd then that happened.

30 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Lost (2-1) I think away at Blackpool when Peter Gilbert got sent off... I think it was the linesman that signalled the foul... so about 100 Wednesday fans left the stand (scaffolding basically) to go and abuse the linesman... it was a good excuse to cover up for how poo we were. 

——————

1-0 home defeat to Rotherham when that winger Jamal Campbell Rice smashed it in for them... I had to watch an overweight Leon Clarke pretend to make himself available for a pass by keeping his back to goal and moving a whole 4 yards to the right, then 4 yards to the left when he didn’t get it (repeat) as if it could be disguised as ‘effort’ somehow.  

I love these posts lol

Edited by Jim Wonk
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Animis said:

One of the worst and most frustrating moments was sitting at the opening game of the promotion season against Colchester watching them take 3 easy points of a limp team with a limp manager with no idea. The season finished on one of the best highs I've known watching the club at Cardiff - one extreme to another has always been the Wednesday way:

1 7 August 2004 Colchester United H 0 – 3 24,138

We were dreadful that game.

Sheff Wed v Pigs   Wembley 3rd April 1993

Should have gone to game after setting off from the North of Scotland on the 2nd of April.
Scotrail strike on 2nd meant a mate of mine and myself couldn't travel down to the game.

I stayed in and sulked.
My mate went out and died at 3am in the morning after a car crash

Just cannot watch that game, no matter what.

RIP Paul - Cracking lad, great sportsman, footballer and Scotland colts rugby player too.

Pauls Grave.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sexpistol said:

14-0

against our youth team. Although granted 14-0 is pretty horrendous.

Yes we sent some young kids but the game was not advertised as that. Alfreton had expected a normal mix of squad players. 

They eased off in the second half it could have been nearer to 18-0

29 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Sheff Wed v Pigs   Wembley 3rd April 1993

Should have gone to game after setting off from the North of Scotland on the 2nd of April.
Scotrail strike on 2nd meant a mate of mine and myself couldn't travel down to the game.

I stayed in and sulked.
My mate went out and died at 3am in the morning after a car crash

Just cannot watch that game, no matter what.

RIP Paul - Cracking lad, great sportsman, footballer and Scotland colts rugby player too.

Pauls Grave.JPG

Not sure any words can help. 26 years later it is clearly still hurting you 

Coventry at Hillsborough around 2007... possibly a cup game. Either Chris Coleman or Iain Dowie was their manager. 

It had been torrential rain before the match...every fan was wee wee wet through.

I think they scored (despite the ball sloshing about... then the game got abandoned about 60 minutes in. 

All in all it was a complete waste of time. 

On 28/08/2019 at 12:33, McRightSide said:

Midweek league cup game against Bournemouth c2004/5 

I think we were 4-0 down after an hour and getting played off the park.

The only time I’ve ever left a game early, I left about the 65th Minute I think

Edit...looking back and this game doesn’t seem to exist. Maybe it was so bad they expunged it from the records

We've played Bournemouth 6 or 7 times in various cup games and lost none.

You may be thinking of Wrexham.  They were struggling in the bottom division but played us off the park.  4-1 but could have been 6-1.

I was there. Horror show.  I was also at Wembley for the Arsenal replay and the 1966 Final.

Can't decide which upset me more.

I also was at the home games against Man C, Forest and Palace which put us down.

Lowest point for me was a 0-3 at Cambridge 77-78.   They were top of Div 3.  We were bottom.  Rained all day.  Freezing.  Police kept us in at end, so I almost missed last train back to Donny.

Watching Wednesday is like smoking. You know its bad for your health and it costs a fortune.  But its hard to give up.  

The game where Potter hit 3 straight corners at the first man in League One. Stuff of nightmares, forgot who the opposition was.

3-0 loss at Burton the other year, we were diabolical.

Losing to Palace to be relegated to League One wasn’t a nice feeling. 

Losing to Huddersfield on pens, worse than losing at Wembley. Proper gut wrenching, such a missed opportunity. 

Away at Blackburn last season lost 4-2, fans and players clearly both wanted Jos gone. It was horrendous viewing.

Theres probably more but I’ve managed to erase most of the noughties from my memory. They were dark times apart from about 2 seasons.