Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

On 29/08/2019 at 14:26, goodytheowl said:

Went down to Exeter in the snow a few years ago just before Christmas and we lost 1-5. We set off mega early cos of the snow and I’d had about 2 hours kip and was hungover as fizz cos of Xmas do night before. Had an argument with Lee Strafford on here about something that I can’t even remember. Got back to the car after 5-1 and we had a flat tire and no spare. Everywhere shut so had to stay the night. Decided to go and see the Fawlty Towers hotel in Torquey to cheer us up, got really excited as we were gonna go and have a drink in the bar etc, looked it up in the internet, got there and it wasn’t actually the hotel but the hotel that they’d based it on. Had heartburn all day and night really bad so beers wouldn’t go down so couldn’t even get pi$$ed up. Shared a room with mate who was worlds loudest snorer and actually sleep walked over to the wardrobe and started shaking it and ragging it about in his sleep at 3am so didn’t sleep a wink all night. Eventually found a garage but it took hours to get sorted, drove back home in the snow and realised I’d left my ipod under he pillow in the hotel. Got home 8pm Sunday night.

WTID lol

Sorry Goody,  I just keep coming back to this post and laughing my head off. 

• Haha 1

On 28/08/2019 at 13:51, Striggy said:

This 10 fold, exactly how I remember it, although only young. Was inconsolable as it was there to be won, and despite City's help we still lost it. 

Also one that sticks in my mind was Millwall a couple of seasons ago, 1 up with seconds to go and had the ball in the corner.  Somehow faffed about and let em nick it, run up the other end avoiding a lunging tackle, crossed and tucked it in with the last kick of the game.  Not necessarily the worst game, or most important points dropped, by my was it the most angry and frustrated that 20 seconds of football has ever made me.  

Yes!! It was the start of SG's only full season in charge, we'd beaten Brighton away then played very well against Derby so I was really optimistic going into this game, even more so after we went 1 up. Conceding that equaliser was a massive gut punch and felt like a very abrupt resumption of normal service. Pretty sure that Chris Maguire scored our goal but am I right in thinking it was also him who faffed about with the ball in the corner and gave it away? I remember Semedo lunging in to try and tackle from behind and just getting left in the Millwall player's dust.

The 2-4 against the pigs was also horrendous. I got up at 4.30am so I could get the 5.30 coach down from Edinburgh. The atmosphere walking up from Hillsborough Corner to the ground was electric, but the ground was totally deflated inside 2 minutes by that fecking free kick. I remember at full time I stormed out and didn't stop walking until I reached Sheffield station, I was just fuelled by rage. Ended up getting on the first train out and being sat on Donny station for about 90 minutes because my connection back up north wasn't til much later :duntmatter:

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

It's a throw up between the 7-1 Arsenal game or the 8-0 at Newcastle.

I'm saying it's the Arsenal one because we were drawing 1-1 entering the final 15 minutes of the game. I've never seen a team turn it on as much as they did during that spell, unplayable and absolutely sickening at the same time.

The 8-0 at Newcastle was me own fault, should never have gone up there, Bobby Robson's 1st game in charge. We had restricted view seats with a pillar covering the middle 3rd of the pitch, no roof, and it started pyssing down once the game kicked off. A lot of Wednesday fans left at HT, some telling me to 'enjoy' as they did. About as dogshyt as a Wednesday performance I've ever seen, pretty much gave me the realisation we were going down that season as well, but still didn't top the Arsenal game - cooonts.

I always remember that season Wednesday away at Man U and score was something like 6-0 and Rodney Marsh smugly saying“it’s Manchester United 6 -Cones 0!!

i wanted to slap the look off of his face...but he was bloody right 

• Haha 1

Limited to games I’ve personally attended....

Coventry away in 2007 or 2008. It was around Christmas time. It was the first time I realised that pretty much everyone I had previously gone to games with had lost interest. I stood on my own on one of the coldest days I can remember. I’d forgotten my hat and gloves and was freezing my balls off. 

The Ricoh was another stadium crossed off but the whole event was just... well, a non-event. We were terrible. They were terrible. The stadium was the epitome of the modern, soulless flatpack stadiums that seemed to pop up around that time. 

We lost 2-0 I think. We brought Lekaj on as a sub IIRC. 

The play-off final against Hull was another one that has only become more frustrating with the passage of time, as we have still not addressed the issues with the squad several years later. 

Blackburn away in the League Cup when the police got a bit heavy handed also springs to mind. 

On 28/08/2019 at 19:06, punkskaphil said:

That was the game where I found myself sat next to Fishcake. Almost stopped me ever going to another game.

Weirldy enough Fishcake is part of one of my favourite Wednesday memories - my first ever away trip, 1-0 win away at Barnsley on a Saturday night just before Christmas 2012 after we'd lost about 8 games in a row. The police held us in the ticket office at the station afterwards because they were only letting so many get on each train, Fishcake ended up getting so wound up that he screamed in some copper's face "I could flippingwalk home quicker" and proceeded to walk out, only to reappear about 90 seconds later while being serenaded with "Fishcake's coming back, nananana....".

On a night like that, everything's twice as funny as usual.

Think it's rather obvious that I'm enjoying this thread... lol

• Haha 1

79/80 Massive anti climax nothing to eat since breakfast Exeter and Return by train. Police wouldn't let us go into local shops, Pies  and Burgers sold out 15 minutes before kick off. We were promoted on the back of a 1-0 defeat. Same treatment from Police on way home no catering carriage on the special train return. Hunger like I'd never known. Whimpy Fargate at 1-30a.m. for a double with chips. We consoled ourselves with the massacre we were going to bestow on Carlisle in our end of season celebration the following Saturday. More than 32k crowded into Hillsborough but the team emerged in Hawaiian Shirts and Beach shorts for a 0-0 bore fest.

So two for the price of one, true we were promoted but what an anti climatically dull end to a superb season.      

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rustyfunk said:

My birthday too. Car broke down on the way home 

honourable mentions to losing v 10 man Yeovil and getting hammered by Norwich (4-0 at half time) in the weeing rain

When we lost to Yeovil it was us who were down to ten men (they’ve only beaten us once). IIRC it was Hutch who got a second yellow late on.

One horrendous game was the trip to Bolton,february 74 at Burnden Park,we had a new keeper on loan making his debut,west hams Bobby Ferguson,it was a cold bleak day,wed gone over the pennines in a soft top triumph vitesse with no heater it took an age in an ale shop opposite the ground to thaw out,even though I was still a school kid I looked far older and never had trouble drinking in pubs,my brother and his future brother in law shoved 3 pints down my neck and we set off to go in the home end,as was the way back then,some cocky little bolton fan kicked my arse as I was queing up.

Inside their end was split half and half between us,Ferguson had a mare debut,we were 4 down by half time,the pitch was soaked from heavy rain,and bolton just tore us to shreds,half time was entertaing with variuos battles breaking out.We got talking to four bolton fans who were stood just infront of us at the break.

Wednesday gave it a go 2nd half,Joicey pulled one back,and later a wicked deflection off allerdyce? brought us a second.

The owls fans began to drift away 10 minutes from time,with the bolton mob reclaiming their spot so we ended up surrounded by fulltime and we got some grief,but nothing kicked off and we made our way back to the car for the freezing cold trip back.

Two months later we played bolton in our final game,and needed a win to stay up,courtesy of Ken knighton,we got it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim Wonk said:

I always remember that season Wednesday away at Man U and score was something like 6-0 and Rodney Marsh smugly saying“it’s Manchester United 6 -Cones 0!!

i wanted to slap the look off of his face...but he was bloody right 

I started going away regularly mid-90's and used to go to Old Trafford every season. Started off respectably enough, 2-0 defeat in 96-97 but a decent performance. Lost 6-1 the following season which did for Pleat, think it was about 4-0 at half-time, 3-0 the next season and 4-0 at the start of our last season in the PL.

For the worst I would pick from the many disappointments of the 2003-04 season, a particular low point was a 3-0 defeat at Port Vale on a cold and miserable February afternoon preceded by a day of drinking in Burslem, a town which makes Rotherham look like Monte Carlo. To add to the pleasure Adrian Littlejohn was one of the scorers for the home side, he must have surely been knocking on towards 40 at the time.

A few different ones more recent ones. They probably rotate in which was worse to be honest.

2-2 V Palace- Horrible watch, wasn't there but watched on the TV live on the BBC. Relegated, they seemed delighted that Palace had survived. Clarke scoring and then going off injured summed his time here up.

2-4 V Blunts- Obviously really, I don't think I need to go into it anymore.

0-1 V Rotherham- Warnock coming back and winning in the Wembley season. I don't think I've ever been more convinced of a win prior to a game than that one. Don't think I've been as angry after a game either.

1-1 V Huddersfield- Play offs, again don't think I need to go into it any further. The way I'd describe it was imagine the Brighton game the year before as a band you really like and the Huddersfield game as a really sh!t tribute act.

• Haha 1

SWFC 1 Forest 7 from mid 90s. 

Cant remember to much as it was about 25yrs ago, but my Dad took us out at 4-1 got home to hear later NF scored 3 more late goals. 

or in more recent memory, 4-1 loss at Bristol City. 

Pretty sure Carlos thought we’d steamrole Brizzle and didn’t put out the strongest squad. Think we’d have gone 5th or summat with a win. 

Think Palmer scored own goal then gave away a pen.