Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

On 29/08/2019 at 09:10, sheriwozgod said:

I didn`t go myself , but i always recall an old workmate who said Dagenham & Redbridge away under Megson was so bad it was funny.

He said Mark Reynolds played like he had toblerones for feet     :biggrin:

I was at that one, and everybody who was there still remembers it as "the Mark Reynolds game"!

And we didn't even lose...

Think pigs game under Carlos was awful, mostly because of who it was and the cr@p that has followed it ever since from their fans.

One other that sticks in my mind was the 00/01 season early doors, I'd been away on holiday first month or so and my first game back was Wimbledon at home. First season in championship (Division 1 back then) I was full of optimism that we would be decent. Wrong. We lost 5-0, I remember Pressman getting some right hammer off some fans on the KOP, it got that bad I remember sections of the fans even cheering when Wimbledon scored the 4th and 5th. John Hartson and Jason Euell ran our defence ragged.

33 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Think pigs game under Carlos was awful, mostly because of who it was and the cr@p that has followed it ever since from their fans.

One other that sticks in my mind was the 00/01 season early doors, I'd been away on holiday first month or so and my first game back was Wimbledon at home. First season in championship (Division 1 back then) I was full of optimism that we would be decent. Wrong. We lost 5-0, I remember Pressman getting some right hammer off some fans on the KOP, it got that bad I remember sections of the fans even cheering when Wimbledon scored the 4th and 5th. John Hartson and Jason Euell ran our defence ragged.

Went to the corresponding game away at selhurst...biblical rain all day...didn’t want to leave the cosy Wetherspoons we were in.

left the pub at 5 to 3...should ave stayed there!!

lost 4-0 ...just remember how bad Efan Ekoku was that day...the rain...and being stood behind goal with that bloke who used to play tricky dicky in eastenders

84 cup replay against Liverpool 

2-2 in the snow at Hillsborough nearly 50,000

I recall (think on SAG)..

Then off to Anfield for my first of quite a few visits there ..

Bloody Ian Rush n Fat Mick 3-0..

It was the return home that was the bad bit ..

Our coach got every window bricked on the way out through Toxteth outside a boozer full of little scallywags chucking loaded snowballs. 

The local constabulary made us sit on the coach til one of the Wallace Arnold's had dropped off in Sheffield and returned back to Liverpool for us ..

Don't think we got back til 4am..

Bloody freezing ...

Mind you soon warmed up beginning of next season for my second visit to Anfield ..

What a goal .....

"Bruce Grob what a nòb"......:tango:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Jim Wonk said:

Went to the corresponding game away at selhurst...biblical rain all day...didn’t want to leave the cosy Wetherspoons we were in.

left the pub at 5 to 3...should ave stayed there!!

lost 4-0 ...just remember how bad Efan Ekoku was that day...the rain...and being stood behind goal with that bloke who used to play tricky dicky in eastenders

If memory serves me right was that the last game that Jewell managed us? 

23 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

If memory serves me right was that the last game that Jewell managed us? 

Was it! Forgot that! Been through that many managers... then followed the shreeves/yorath era was it? I used to be able to reel off facts now I struggle to remember last season 

On a more personal level, Bournemouth away, August 2011 under is Megsonlyness.

It was the second Saturday of Cowes Week. I had done the second half of the regatta as crew for a friend. They were winning the class when i arrived. The second half of the week was difficult and they were going into the last day needing the win to win the regatta. I'd won precisely diddly squat in my (then) short yachting career so this was a big deal. The owner only had two crew for the final day. Not me. I was off to Bournemouth for the game. Sorry lads but I've got a ticket already.

We were poo. Got beat two nil. 

Somehow Olly and Rob won the race and therefore the regatta despite sailing a four man boat with only two. 

Cowes Week winning crew is still on the CV but to this day and lets be honest, its probably the only sailing event non sailors have ever heard of. I regret missing that last race to watch a poo team lose at Bournemouth.

Edited by George
  • Haha 2

FA Cup final replay defeat.

It marked a turning point and we arguably haven’t recovered since ..we just went slowly down hill after it.

If we'd won it I feel our trajectory after would have been different. 

It it was a terrible way to lose and it impacted the club on many levels.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, George said:

On a more personal level, Bournemouth away, August 2011 under is Megsonlyness.

It was the second Saturday of Cowes Week. I had done the second half of the regatta as crew for a friend. They were winning the class when i arrived. The second half of the week was difficult and they were going into the last day needing the win to win the regatta. I'd won precisely diddly squat in my (then) short yachting career so this was a big deal. The owner only had two crew for the final day. Not me. I was off to Bournemouth for the game. Sorry lads but I've got a ticket already.

We were poo. Got beat two nil. 

Somehow Olly and Rob won the race and therefore the regatta despite sailing a four man boat with only two. 

Cowes Week winning crew is still on the CV but to this day and lets be honest, its probably the only sailing event non sailors have ever heard of. I regret missing that last race to watch a poo team lose at Bournemouth.

You see George 

There's a "John Terry" in every sport you know ? 

• Haha 3

2-0 away to Plymouth on a midweek night in the 03/04 season where Plymouth were the league one world beaters under KPS. I was only eight but I’d been looking forward to my first away day for weeks. 

Don’t remember us touching the ball. Didn’t ever want to go to an away game again.

Next away game was the 3-2 away defeat the following season to Swindon where we were 2-0 up with 15 mins left.

As a young child I genuinely thought I was cursed.

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

2-0 away to Plymouth on a midweek night in the 03/04 season where Plymouth were the league one world beaters under KPS. I was only eight but I’d been looking forward to my first away day for weeks. 

Don’t remember us touching the ball. Didn’t ever want to go to an away game again.

Next away game was the 3-2 away defeat the following season to Swindon where we were 2-0 up with 15 mins left.

As a young child I genuinely thought I was cursed.

You are.

• Haha 1

Easy one.

Decoded to take my 10 yr old for his first wednesday match at Hillsborough (about 93/94 I suppose). Living south of London, got started at 7:30 for 4-5 hour drive. Flat tyre.. Waited till 8:00 for garage to open. Got started at 8:30. Before we joined M25, road works, stuck for an hour. M25 blocked and diverted off by heathrow, Back on, got to M1.  Accident at Luton.  Motorway closed. Got to Hillsborough at 4:30 to find ticket office closed and told to feck off.  Pleaded with gate man who let us in for last 5 mins to watch us lose 1-0.  Cant even remember who we were playing......

• Like 2

Getting humped 3-0 at Pride Park in Dave Jones' penultimate away game as manager. Got the trots before the game (maybe because I'd seen that we were starting Stephen McPhail and Seyi Olafinjana in central midfield), reached my seat just in time for fans in the concourse to inadvertently disrupt the minutes' silence, sat through 90 minutes of pish then on the train home some idiot set off the alarm and we had to listen to it all the way back to Sheffield because it was too crowded for the conductor to turn it off.

F***ing brilliant day that was.

• Haha 3

24th January 1970   -  SWFC 1 Scunthorpe United 2. - FA Cup 4th round.

Some billy big balls called Keegan got one of their goals, if not both. This game revealed to a lot of folks how crap we had become in the decline after the 66 cup final (another debacle). But as many on here have said there have been many more atrocious performances since, from 1970 relegation to the reign of Big Jack we had the most woeful side bar none.

Such luminaries as Wilcockson, Todd, Burton, Holsgrove, Downes, McIver et al will not be seen again....only in my feverish nightmares...how did I ever stand it along with the 12,000 faithful! I’m pretty sure Eric Taylor massaged the attendance figures for a few seasons in the 70’s...so 12,000 is nowhere near the true figure. No one went with a smile on their face and left at 5.00pm looking even worse...some dogs and cats must have had some reyt kickings of a satdy neet! (Not that I would ever condone such acts of cruelty!):ph34r:

It's a throw up between the 7-1 Arsenal game or the 8-0 at Newcastle.

I'm saying it's the Arsenal one because we were drawing 1-1 entering the final 15 minutes of the game. I've never seen a team turn it on as much as they did during that spell, unplayable and absolutely sickening at the same time.

The 8-0 at Newcastle was me own fault, should never have gone up there, Bobby Robson's 1st game in charge. We had restricted view seats with a pillar covering the middle 3rd of the pitch, no roof, and it started pyssing down once the game kicked off. A lot of Wednesday fans left at HT, some telling me to 'enjoy' as they did. About as dogshyt as a Wednesday performance I've ever seen, pretty much gave me the realisation we were going down that season as well, but still didn't top the Arsenal game - cooonts.

On 28/08/2019 at 13:14, HIGHERSTATE said:

At home vs Forest early noughties...Lost 1-0 and the game was so boring that I spent most of it just chatting with my friend

Derby away when Dave Jones was in charge Nov 2013, 3-0.  All our tactics revolved around giving the ball to Reda. This really was one of the lowest points of the club when we were screaming for something/anything to happen.

Last Saturday..  Walked 30 minutes to the ground in baking temperatures to see that sh@tshow!  Wish we'd gone to Manc Pride instead.

Glad to see somebody else bringing up this game. I'd forgotten the bit about Reda, who was clearly carrying an injury for that whole season - I remember at one point Kirkland was lining up to take a goal kick and I noticed that Derby were man-marking every one of our players except Reda, they couldn't wait for him to get the ball so he could give it away again.