Your Worst Wednesday Game Ever

I've just responded on another thread about a Wednesday penalty loss which brought back some pretty horrible emotions - in particular anger and despair. Now I'm an optimistic bloke and "worst Wednesday games" can be a bit subjective but it did get me curious about what games have scarred other fans for life? So what was your worst Wednesday game and why?

Mine was Molineux 1995  I was in a bar in Kilburn following the game. How we managed to lose a penalty shoot-out when leading it 3-0 is beyond me. Just as we lost some tail comes round with a bucket collecting for the IRA. Told him in no uncertain terms to fek off.  Managed to escape with just a broken nose and wife freaking out when I got home. I suppose many would say there have been worse games supporting Wednesday  (Arsenal/Palace/Everton/Exeter/Yeovil games for example) but Molineux 1995 still does my head in. Sums up everything frustrating about following The Wednesday for me. Told myself that was it. Never again. But of course that lasted 30 minutes. It's a damn disease this fan thing. (And I don't even come from Sheffield!)

• Like 1

Worst result the Arsenal replay.

Worst trip Portsmouth. Belted it down with rain on the uncovered terrace whilst wearing a heavy mohair jumper. Then train broke down and had to sit in said jumper for 4 hours before the train even moved. Got home in the early hour's next day from a 3 pm KO. 

3 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

We lose most penalty shootouts.  you are angry cos you dissed the 'RA, probably in an Irish pub, and he busted your face.

No genuinely not. I would have dissed a Girl Guide with a collection bucket at that particular moment. And I have had several broken noses (sport and not being very good at fighting). It was just that moment of years of following Wednesday snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and it still eats at me.

1975 , uncovered kop , pi$$ing down rain , Sheff Wed 0 - Port Vale 3................crowd about 8,000.

That was the one that stuck in my mind..............but actually i think i felt much worse watching some of the awful stuff under Turner, Shreeves, Irvine etc, at least i had youthful ignorance / optimism in the 70,s.

Wednesday at home to Man City in April 1970 on a thoroughly unpleasant midweek evening. It chucked it down all match.

In front of the biggest crowd of the season (45,000+), Wednesday needed a win to stay in the old Division One and Man City virtually handed the game to Wednesday who were so inept, they still lost.

City appeared to be so disinterested that Doyle "passed" his penalty to Grummitt and the rest of the City side seemed more bothered about their summer holidays thn winning a football match. Everybody that is, except for Ian Bowyer who scored both City's goals. Ex-City player Tony Coleman netted a consolation for Wednesday in between both City goals.

It was my first experience of relegation and it was the start of turbulent times for Wednesday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

At home vs Forest early noughties...Lost 1-0 and the game was so boring that I spent most of it just chatting with my friend

Derby away when Dave Jones was in charge Nov 2013, 3-0.  All our tactics revolved around giving the ball to Reda. This really was one of the lowest points of the club when we were screaming for something/anything to happen.

Last Saturday..  Walked 30 minutes to the ground in baking temperatures to see that sh@tshow!  Wish we'd gone to Manc Pride instead.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Haha 1

7-1 defeat away to Arsenal was pretty bad, particularly as we were drawing at half-time but like many have said the FA Cup replay against Arsenal was the most gutted I've been after a match. In fact Arsenal can just feck off. 

More recently it would be Huddersfield play off semi. Didn't really hit me at the time but what a glorious chance we had that year and we still ballsed it up. Bothers me to this day that game. 

27 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Worst result the Arsenal replay.

Worst trip Portsmouth. Belted it down with rain on the uncovered terrace whilst wearing a heavy mohair jumper. Then train broke down and had to sit in said jumper for 4 hours before the train even moved. Got home in the early hour's next day from a 3 pm KO. 

I think I was at that one . When claridge was their player manager , might have been under Jewell or shreeves. Think we lost 2 nil and it absolutely hammered it down. 

For me the famous 0-0 with Grimsby is up there, two teams on their way to relegation , it was like a death march.

34 minutes ago, ljhowl said:

No genuinely not. I would have dissed a Girl Guide with a collection bucket at that particular moment. And I have had several broken noses (sport and not being very good at fighting). It was just that moment of years of following Wednesday snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and it still eats at me.

how many heads you got?

• Haha 3