Rotherham - V - Wednesday (League Cup) OMDT

My first and last post on this...

Last Grat Hope has posted a number of excellent posts outlining the limitations on the EFL to stop dodgy characters taking over our clubs. Company laws governing takeovers and sale of businesses trumps any EFL regulation. Their hands are tied and can only act "after the event". It's like blaming Shelter for a homeless person dying on the streets. There's little they can do. This does beg the question as to why have a fit and proper person test at all? I have no answer.

Im all for changing FFP, and Bolton/Bury may be the catalyst for change. I'm happy with owners giving, and I stress GIVING, their money to their football club. The problem is when they LEND the club money. [Bury seems a bit different in that the owner borrowed money against the ground, not to fund the club, but to fund some student flats. Blatant asset stripping imo.] But even with the borrowed money going towards running the club, you can end up with Portsmouth type scenarios. Any potential new buyer might be able to finance the running of the club, but is put off by having to pay off the loans of the previous owner. (Occasionally the previous owner might waive the loans, as with Eddie Davies at Bolton). 

But let's be honest, if owners are able to throw their wealth into the club, there is no guarantee of success. Chansiri might have a few quid, but so do the owners of Forest, Derby, Stoke, Bristol C, and others, even Barnsley. They can't all be promoted. And what happens when the owner has had enough and stops funding? The bills are still there. The players on long, high salary, contracts remain. You get the Bolton scenario (a bit like us dropping out of the EPL before parachute payments), bills continue, income cut off, debts spiral. Change FFP and there's a chance we can compete with the parachute clubs and maybe get promoted, but there's an equal chance we could go the way of Bolton.

To blame the EFL for Bury's demise and Bolton's possible demise is way too simplistic. And the solution is way beyond the abilities and scope of influence of the EFL.

• Thanks 1

Guest The Horse

Got a bad feeling about tonight.

Think it's this miserable weather. Very 'Rotherham' type weather.
Gut feeling says frustraing 2-0 loss tonight.

Hope I'm wrong though and we smash them 10-0.

5 minutes ago, The Horse said:

Got a bad feeling about tonight.

Think it's this miserable weather. Very 'Rotherham' type weather.
Gut feeling says frustraing 2-0 loss tonight.

Hope I'm wrong though and we smash them 10-0.

Ha ha me too.

Wet Tuesday night away to local side who’ll be busting a gut to turn us over.

what could go wrong ?

Just hope they realise that the OT cognoscenti have deemed that there’s ‘ no excuses’ for anything less than dishing out a sound thrashing. Shakes head.

2 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Ha ha me too.

what could go wrong ?

Just hope they realise that the OT cognoscenti have deemed that there’s ‘ no excuses’ for anything less than dishing out a sound thrashing. Shakes head.

Good job it’s Wednesday today then.....

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Ha ha me too.

what could go wrong ?

It's Wednesday mate in every sense 

Edited by Lawrie Madden

6 hours ago, Minton said:

A one off payment to an owner that has run them into the ground in the hope of an asset stripping payday.

A one off payment to a club that overspent on players to gain promotion to gain an advantage over other clubs.

A one off payment that will leave the other 22 clubs that have kept themselves solvent thinking "where is our free £15m investment from a rich club that happens to be close by? Why should Bury be rewarded for being an utter financial clusterfuck?"

Fairness works in many ways and to reward the way that Bury has been run would be completely unfair to all the other 

Are the other 22 clubs solvent? Even Wednesday are not solvent that's why Chansiri bought the ground.  I'm not saying the asset strippers or bad owners should get a one off payment or that Bury should stay in the the league but the supporters are going to lose their club because the powers that be, did not carry out due diligence on the owners like they are supposed to do. 

6 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

THE TRICKLE DOWN THEORY OF CAPITALISM.

Here is how it works... All the money, assets, buildings, land is distributed to 1% of the population.

That's it !

THE REST OF US PLEBS CAN JUST F**K  OFF.

Post script :- “Rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew, which in sleep had fallen on you: ye are many – they are few!”

It applies just as much to football, as it does any other facet of society. We are the EFL, We are the FA if they can not handle the job we must sweep them aside ! 

Well we are playing the lumpenproleteriats tonight.