Rotherham - V - Wednesday (League Cup) OMDT

Mt dads a Bolton fan, they are going the same way. He used ot take me to Burnden park and then the Reebok as a kid to watch Djorkaeff and Okotcha. Did the purchase of players like this ruin the club, probably. I just hope they can sort out a buyer in the next two weeks. RIP Bury. 

Anyone who is angry about Bury’s plight and still subscribes to Sky TV should really think about their own part in this.

The EFL are not the only guilty party and it was Rupert Murdoch’s invasion of our beautiful game that turned it into the ugly, greedy beast it now is

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

THE TRICKLE DOWN THEORY OF CAPITALISM.

Here is how it works... All the money, assets, buildings, land is distributed to 1% of the population.

1 hour ago, Snowyowl61 said:

Such a sad state of affairs which gives an absolute lie to those people (usually the ones that run the game) who have maintained down the years that as the Premiership gets richer then the trickle-down effect would ensure that clubs lower down the football pyramid would all benefit financially.

Worth noting that the phrase “trickle-down economics” was literally coined as a satirical joke, in the full knowledge it would never and could never actually work. Somehow it blurred into a ‘controversial economical theory’ over time, but it was 100% just a pee-take phrase initially.

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

There’s simply too much to address there, but a couple of quick points. 

My understanding is they DO  have players but not paid for ages( May be wrong).

The stewards & other personnel would have been ours for the Wednesday game & i’m pretty sure things could have been sorted looking st the rallying response of the fans.

The p & s rules (whatever they have tagged it this week) are restrictive & anti business. The problem is the ‘ fit for purpose’ checks on the owners & chairmen. Why should a billionaire who wants to invest his money be denied in doing so?  

The gap between the EFL & champ will get wider with them getting richer & the rest getting poorer, even if run by someone like DC  who is desperate to invest his millions.

Dont buy the bulk of your argument at all. You don’t address my point of index linking. 

The EFL are living in the past and need to concentrate on fairness & support for their ‘members’ rather than their obsession with branding & marketing.

By index linking, I'm assuming you mean raising the 3 year loss limit in line with something like RPI? Because I did address it and suggested they will decrease the loss that can be made, not increase it.

The increase in money in the premier league is driven by international demand, most of Sky's PL money comes from selling coverage to the Asian and American continents, not from domestic demand.

You talk about the poor getting poorer, but most smaller clubs have retained their gates whilst receiving extra TV money. So they're not getting poorer, they're just getting more ambitious. Spending more to try and make more. It's not the Premier League, the EFL or Sky causing clubs to overspend, it's the desires of the owners and the demand of success (rapid success at that) of the fans. The first 2 years of Mr.Chansiri's tenure are a perfect example. 

As for the EFL focussing on marketing and branding; If they don't do that then the lower leagues really will disappear into nothing, because without some kind of marketing strategy to increase the appeal of lower league football, the TV audience the money will dry up. I can't see international audiences (or even national for that matter) giving to shits about watching Crawley and Morcambe slog out a 0-0 draw on a drab Tuesday night otherwise. Other than the fans of the clubs in question, of course.

Like it or not, football has changed, it's audiences are global not local.

I feel for the Bury fans and I feel for the Bolton fans but if these clubs are forced to close their doors other clubs will get their chance to get promoted to take their places. They will have their chance to be in the leagues. Their fans will rejoice at the chance.

It is what capitalism is all about, the weak clubs fail and new forward thinking clubs have their chance. OK I know what you think, what is he on about? Think about the fans.

I do, I feel so sorry for them and I remember back to when we were under threat. It was gut wrenching.

There can't be an automatic right to survive for any club. Really bad management can't be allowed to be risk free. There has to be an ultimate sanction against the crooks. The trouble is it's the fans that suffer. The scam artists will just find another hobby or get rich quick scheme.

Greedy scumbags. I wish we were in a revolutionary France phase!          

League and FA should make it impossible for a football club and its' assets to be mortgaged to secure money for other businesses.

Those young lasses in the photo doing their bit to keep the club alive (and all the other fans) trying to save a sinking ship, deliberately holed by the Captain whose looking at the salvage value. It's enough to make me weep.

Not the first by any means is it? This makes interesting (and awful)  reading:

Hall of Shame

My nomination for the guillotine is Douglas Craig (York City)...... why weren't the rules tightened up when this Tory bast*rd sacrificed the club to line his pockets?

RIP Bury .. may you rise from the ashes

Bury have clearly been robbed by two "Fit and Propper" Scumbags, and all above board it seems. 

A sad day, but it wouldn't surprise me if they let Bolton go the same way and prevent two additional places from being filled from the National League, thus reducing the size of the league in some way, to increase television revenue per club. 

15 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

The thing is, after the first Spiv the EFL allows the second spiv to buy for a pound. A Spiv who according to the times has out of his 50 odd companies registered 40 odd of them insolvent.  It's an absolute bloody disgrace. 

Honestly. The game has gone. It really has. 

Good old EFL eh? They can allow somebody who.would make Donald Trump look like businessman of the year to run a football club into. the ground and tell a British court they haven't got a clue by saying somebody isn't a racist and say we'll try and find him guilty ourselves thank you very much.

7 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

My dad's subscription to sky has absolutely nothing to do with said clubs being run by unscrupulous lobbers.

No offence to your dad whatsoever. If it happens to give pleasure to some that perhaps couldn’t  or don’t wish to attend matches live then I understand it. But, take Wednesday for example. We need either a new ground or millions spending on it. The way things are going they’ll end up closing the ground, or part of it, branding it unsafe ! The only way we can get the cash required is by being in the Prem. To compete with clubs on parachute payments to get there we have to spend the cash. The money sloshing around the Prem is obscene, provided by Sky, which is driven by advertising. Money from Sky has ruined this game. We’ll all soon be Man U, Man City or Liverpool supporters, or supporting none league teams like Sheffield fc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Worth noting that the phrase “trickle-down economics” was literally coined as a satirical joke, in the full knowledge it would never and could never actually work. Somehow it blurred into a ‘controversial economical theory’ over time, but it was 100% just a pee-take phrase initially.

Maggie was taking the wee wee then.