Radio Earwig

A few years ago I got a Wednesday Player 'earwig' that let you listen to radio commentary during the game.

Anyone know if these devices still work and if they work elsewhere or were they tied in to SWFC only?

I think you will find it was for one game only, still got mine, couldnt hear bugger all during the game as fans drowned out any noise from the earpiece, only heard it during half time.

Edited by daleblue

Just now, daleblue said:

I think you will find it was for one game only, still got mine, couldnt hear bugger all during the game as fans drowned out any noise from the earpiece, only heard it during

half time.

If you've still got it..get something safe.. like a knitting needle and dig it out..no wonder you can't hear anything..

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

If you've still got it..get something safe.. like a knitting needle and dig it out..no wonder you can't hear anything..

Failed to mention I was in the South, (all that noise)  :rolleyes:

and I am mutton jeff. :wacko:

• Haha 1

I see the things you are on about given out in the "wheelchair" section on the north every game. I think there are a couple of blind people who sit there.

These are like little tranny radios with earpieces. But not like the ones you see cricket fans wearing.

There was definitely one that worked for the full season, as I got one (cost £10/15 if I remember rightly) and used it a few times. I believe it was run by the same people who ran Wednesday Player, as I know they were available at other grounds as well - I sometimes watch Burnley when I'm visiting my parents, and Clarets Player were doing the same thing. I'd assume that for ease of production that they all ran off the same frequency, so could be used interchangeably, but I never got to try it out at Turf Moor. In any case, they'll not work now as iFollow took over and I'm guessing all the kit will have been replaced. 

Apparently the ones you get at the Test matches allow you to switch between BBC and Sky commentary, so it's different kit. 

On 26/08/2019 at 21:41, daleblue said:

I think you will find it was for one game only, still got mine, couldnt hear bugger all during the game as fans drowned out any noise from the earpiece, only heard it during half time.

Definitely wasn't for one game only. I used mine for most of a season. Lovely for some half time listening and to have something to do during longer stoppages and always nice to hear views on controversial incidents. Don't believe they work anymore though as Mirodo suggests. Shame really, I quite enjoyed them.