A Warning To All Clubs.

3 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

For those who have criticized the amount of money spent and lack of top quality signings take a look 35 miles west of Sheffield. Bolton a once proud footballing town are on the verge of losing their football team. For all who criticize DC I would say he has heeded the warnings and stopped the club falling headlong into the financial abyss. It gives me no pleasure to see Bolton Wanderers on the verge of liquidation but I would hate the gap it would leave in my life if this great club followed the same path. Dark times in the EFL as the fat cats in the premier league gorge on massive financial gains not shared with the lower leagues.

Well they had an amazing owner who put seemingly endless amounts of cash into the club, but then one day decided enough was enough...

So, Chansiri could still do that if he wishes..

Has anyone criticised the amount we've spent this season? Most seem to be well aware of the financial constraints we're under and are happy that we're finally taking steps to address our previous overspending.

Most also seem to feel that Harris, Murphy, Luongo and Börner are top quality signings for the situation we're in.

It's sad what's happening at Bolton and Bury, but again, I doubt you'll find anyone who disagrees with that.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Has anyone criticised the amount we've spent this season? Most seem to be well aware of the financial constraints we're under and are happy that we're finally taking steps to address our previous overspending.

Most also seem to feel that Harris, Murphy, Luongo and Börner are top quality signings for the situation we're in.

It's sad what's happening at Bolton and Bury, but again, I doubt you'll find anyone who disagrees with that.

The none signing of Hector for a ridiculous 5million was criticized by some. Also the none use of the Joa fee has been questioned. At the end of the day this club needs to cut its cloth according to its status. The next 2 years may well be a time of steadying the ship. We cant afford to hemorrhage 30 million year on year.

6 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

The none signing of Hector for a ridiculous 5million was criticized by some. Also the none use of the Joa fee has been questioned. At the end of the day this club needs to cut its cloth according to its status. The next 2 years may well be a time of steadying the ship. We cant afford to hemorrhage 30 million year on year.

I also think our chairman should take some flak for the amount he has wasted on bad players and failed to recoup by deciding that we shouldn't sell a player until 4 seasons down the line. Not very good control of finances in my view but we are moving on from all that now thankfully. We've learnt the hard way. 

7 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

No one who is worth worrying about criticised not spending £5m on hector 

If anything most supporters have criticised the type of spending we’ve done and the lack of real forethought behind it 

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

I also think our chairman should take some flak for the amount he has wasted on bad players and failed to recoup by deciding that we shouldn't sell a player until 4 seasons down the line. Not very good control of finances in my view but we are moving on from all that now thankfully. We've learnt the hard way. 

Totally agree think the penny has dropped with DC. I think his biggest fault was trying to please everyone. It has been a very expensive lesson

8 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Very few have criticised those two things in comparison to the numerous posts and threads calling for a more sensible, sustainable transfer strategy on here over the years.

You're preaching to the converted.

9 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Not  sure DC actually has much input other than to fund incoming players 

• Haha 1

Not nice to see this happen to ANY club. 

Bolton and Bury both have decent histories, sharing half a dozen FA Cups between them. 

The extra p155 take in Bury's case (although it's the least of their problems) it's that their none too popular chairman/owner has the surname DALE, the nickname of one of their most hated rivals. 

Good luck to both of them and hope they live to fight another day. 

1 minute ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Not nice to see this happen to ANY club. 

Bolton and Bury both have decent histories, sharing half a dozen FA Cups between them. 

The extra p155 take in Bury's case (although it's the least of their problems) it's that their none too popular chairman/owner has the surname DALE, the nickname of one of their most hated rivals. 

Good luck to both of them and hope they live to fight another day. 

Agree with you but in both cases it looks very doubtful at this moment in time.

3 minutes ago, poite said:

The position we have found ourselves in was due to nonsensical, wreakless spending by said owner. 

D.C. tried to get us promoted by supplying the finances , at the time I didn’t see such comments as yours . He should be applauded for trying to get us promoted , it’s easy giving it the old I told you so in hindsight . Give the man some credit . 

People have been saying for years about a big club going to the wall to give football a wake up call. There have been many that threatened to (including our own) but there’s always been someone to come along to the rescue. 

Yes the likes of Rushden have gone under but Bolton and Bury are established clubs who have won trophies and in Bolton’s case been in Europe in recent years. Them going would be a stark warning to any team outside the big 6 in the premier league.

It’s not looking good for either club but fingers crossed something is pulled out of the bag.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

D.C. tried to get us promoted by supplying the finances , at the time I didn’t see such comments as yours . He should be applauded for trying to get us promoted , it’s easy giving it the old I told you so in hindsight . Give the man some credit . 

But I'm not the owner of the football club am I. I don't understand the finances and ffp do I. 

As a supporter you can only trust that the people running the club and spending the money know what they are doing and are spending wisely

Fingers crossed for both clubs. I feel that a deal will be done but that's only cos one seems to get done every time. I'm sure one day the deal won't happen.

With the amount of money that Bolton had written off, 175m I've read, it's hard to believe how they're still in this situation. Football is rotten to the core and needs a reset. 

• Like 1

Don’t think we should be drawing any parallels between Bolton and ourselves. The situation they are in is a complex one and brought on by mis-management over the last 10-12 years.

Very sad however that a very proud footballing town could lose their league status.

Bolton’s former Chairman, Gartside, wanted a closed Premier League with no relegation from the PL, and no promotion to it, keeping Bolton rollng in PL cash forever and us with no chance whatsoever of ever being one of English football’s elite clubs.

Nothing to do with the poor Bolton fans though. Just saying.

The EFL does at least offer exciting, honest, football.

I’ve said it before, the Championship is one of the most exciting leagues in the World, supported by promotion and relegation within the EFL. Without the Championship freshening up the PL, it would die on its feet through boredom and a sterile product. The PL needs to do more to support grass roots football rather than foreign players’ and their agents’ bank accounts.

13 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

People have been saying for years about a big club going to the wall to give football a wake up call. There have been many that threatened to (including our own) but there’s always been someone to come along to the rescue. 

Yes the likes of Rushden have gone under but Bolton and Bury are established clubs who have won trophies and in Bolton’s case been in Europe in recent years. Them going would be a stark warning to any team outside the big 6 in the premier league.

It’s not looking good for either club but fingers crossed something is pulled out of the bag.

Went past the old Rushden ground only last week. Completely demolished now