Fox to Sunderland

3 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Change the manager based on him backing a player you don't like..

Absolutely infantile..

Change of manager because he is out of his depth , look back through my posts , they send the same signal , love Bully but not as manager .

Now squirt off 

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Don't need to. Fox deserves respect, but let's not pretend he'd be a loss. A right-back is keeping our only orthodox left-back out the team. That is the reality. Even with Fox gone, we'd have Palmer, Odubajo, Thorniley, and Reach whom can play there. Plenty to tide us over until new year. If an acceptable bid comes in for the player in his final year and out of favour, would be wasteful to turn it down.

..reports suggest Fox wants the move anyway. Have to factor that into it. Last year here. New contract doubtful. Might be a 3yr deal on the table for him at Sunderland. 

Agree completely with this, £200k now or nothing in May for a back up left back who probably won't play more than a handful of games (which based on the win % when he plays we are likely to lose)

4 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Don't forget that Palmer only got the LB job trying to impress Mr Bruce and win himself another contract and strangely enough Palmer and Fox have been contenders for man of the match in most of the games that they have been played despite the scepticism from some parts of the fanbase.

Personally, I am not all that thrilled at the defensive qualities of any of our fullback choices, other than Matt Penney, before he got injured and played further up the pitch. If Fox does go, and I would prefer him to stay and keep fighting for his place in the team, I would not be too surprised if Penney was re-called, although I would rather see him play a few games on loan, to get his match fitness and get rid of his new found petulant streak!

The Bassard trying to impersonate a good player and further his career with us .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

I don't know how to respond to the fact you think Penny is our best full back!

Personally I'll be surprised if he ever makes it with us, fish out of water springs to mind!

It's just typical of owlstalk you always get someone who thinks if only the young players get gametime they will be top players for us. There used to be a guy convinced Luke Boden was the nuts on here.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's just typical of owlstalk you always get someone who thinks if only the young players get gametime they will be top players for us. There used to be a guy convinced Luke Boden was the nuts on here.

No one knows the striker role better than Marko Van Basten, yet he thought Ritchie Humphries was destined for great things. 

• Haha 1

On 27/08/2019 at 19:58, jonnyowl said:

I don't know how to respond to the fact you think Penny is our best full back!

Personally I'll be surprised if he ever makes it with us, fish out of water springs to mind!

Sorry Johnnyowl, I didn't word it very well, but I have been impressed by Penney in the U23s and in a couple of his outings as full back and I think if you remember back to those first few games he did look very good and hardly put a foot wrong until Jos started playing him up the pitch. Penney can get up and down the wing at a fair speed, as an attacking wing-back, but does not look as good as an out and out winger/midfielder or even as a full back when he was carrying an injury. I also thought that Ash Baker looked ok on and off when he first came in, but he then went downhill fast for whatever reason. The point I was trying to make is that Fox and Palmer now look like our best fullbacks, despite their critics, although both of them are prone to making errors and Palmer has made so many errors in the past few years as a right back, that directly led to goals being scored against us that I was surprised that we did not sign at least one decent full back in the summer. Iorfa is a trier, but again is prone to making costly mistakes and we often discuss Odubajo's lack of defensive thinking and speed in the tackle, which make him look very much like a winger playing fullback, which in effect he is.  

So yes Penney was the first one of our fullbacks that has impressed me for a while. I thought he looked comfortable and confident, but just lacked first team experience. 

Palmer's lackadaisical approach to defending and crossing the ball has cost us dearly too often in the past, at right back, but amazingly at left back he looks better, though is still not a natural left back.

Fox for my money, seems to just get better and better, is not the most gifted of players speed wise, but has made up for that with increased effort and with the crowd getting behind him more now, I think he could be ok, although a top class left back would definitely be on my Christmas shopping list, as would a top class right back, but I get the horrible feeling that we will have to make do this season. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

giphy.gif

Lovely cross that. Some will get on Rhodes back for missing that as per, shame for him as well though, his runs are briliant in games if you actually bother to watch him but for some reason its not dropping for him. 

1 minute ago, GerOwl said:

Lovely cross that. Some will get on Rhodes back for missing that as per, shame for him as well though, his runs are briliant in games if you actually bother to watch him but for some reason its not dropping for him. 

I like to see an early ball behind for folks to attack. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving that we've got a couple of wingers in who like to take on the man and drive to the byline. But it's good to see it mixed up and an early one put in. 

On 27/08/2019 at 21:42, Ellis Rimmer said:

lol     :image: garymegson

And there are always people on Owlstalk that think players that come to us are either going to be gods or rubbish, depending on their last game for us, but most of us have seen enough evidence of good, average and bad players to suggest that it is sometimes better to give players a bit more of a chance than the the few games that Penney had at fullback, before judging them either way. 

I have always thought that Matt Penney showed more promise than many of the U23 players of breaking into our first team and he proved that with the rave reviews he got when he did break into the first team. Whether he will ever get another chance who knows, but only an idiot would say that young players can improve, or make it to the top without getting more first team experience and only you used the statement about becoming a top player, I merely thought that on his early showings, that he looked better that the alternatives, which let's face it wasn't to hard was it!

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I like to see an early ball behind for folks to attack. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving that we've got a couple of wingers in who like to take on the man and drive to the byline. But it's good to see it mixed up and an early one put in. 

Yeah, we seem to be sleepwalking into tippy tappy ville again. Then again, left back's crossing and there's only Rhodes in the box, something up there. 

3 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

JR got shoved out left there too, just as he headed the ball, otherwise the goalie would have had a harder save to make to the goalies right.

I really don't think we play to our strikers strong points at the moment and make it as difficult for them as we possibly can at times, usually quite simply by not playing them.

How come Rhodes featured in most of the pre-season friendlies and scored in nearly all of them, 3 was it (?), got applauded by the fans that watched those games for looking like a new player, yet got dropped for his troubles and replaced by a solitary striker who has never scored more than half a dozen in a season, when he was at his peak about nine years ago?

Great ball in by Fox, who also had a good couple of efforts himself last night.

2 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

lol     :image: garymegson

And there are always people on Owlstalk that think players that come to us are either going to be gods or rubbish, depending on their last game for us, but most of us have seen enough evidence of good, average and bad players to suggest that it is sometimes better to give players a bit more of a chance than the the few games that Penney had at fullback, before judging them either way. 

I have always thought that Matt Penney showed more promise than many of the U23 players of breaking into our first team and he proved that with the rave reviews he got when he did break into the first team. Whether he will ever get another chance who knows, but only an idiot would say that young players can improve, or make it to the top without getting more first team experience and only you used the statement about becoming a top player, I merely thought that on his early showings, that he looked better that the alternatives, which let's face it wasn't to hard was it!

Penney isn't even that young you know. If he was any good he would be competing for a first team spot.

4 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

JR got shoved out left there too, just as he headed the ball, otherwise the goalie would have had a harder save to make to the goalies right.

I really don't think we play to our strikers strong points at the moment and make it as difficult for them as we possibly can at times, usually quite simply by not playing them.

How come Rhodes featured in most of the pre-season friendlies and scored in nearly all of them, 3 was it (?), got applauded by the fans that watched those games for looking like a new player, yet got dropped for his troubles and replaced by a solitary striker who has never scored more than half a dozen in a season, when he was at his peak about nine years ago?

Great ball in by Fox, who also had a good couple of efforts himself last night.

Yes the one that he should have ripped the net out but instead managed to hit big Daves head from 6 inch out 

It was offside anyway but hey ho 

Edited by hugeowl