Fox to Sunderland

20 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Clearly a good move for Fox.

But not necessarily so for Wednesday.

If he leaves we either get a replacement (Olson?) or gamble on Palmer's fitness. I don't like the idea of relying on Odubajo or showhorning Reach in at left back, but with those two options, plus (my preference) Thorniley, I think we have enough.

For anyone thinking that's too risky, we need to bring in Olson, have you considered why he's available? Possibly same reason as Hooper is still available. Why make £1m ish (my guess at transfer fee and wages) selling Fox if we're just going to throw it, and more, on a 2 year pension booster contract for Olson and his agent? Better off keeping Fox and releasing/losing him next summer.

We have to think that Odubajo could do a job, after all he played most last season on the left. Also saw him a couple of times in midfield, where he was quite effective as a fetcher and carrier. Having said he can do a job at full back, I do have concerns about his defensive awareness

Get rid.

He's not good enough and never has been. How Charlton got us to pay a fee for him I'll never know.

If we can get a fee for him now from some other mugs then we should make it happen.

This recent love-in for him has been embarassing, he can't even pass the ball to his own team mates most of the time. Baffled that he's even made it as a pro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Get rid.

He's not good enough and never has been. How Charlton got us to pay a fee for him I'll never know.

If we can get a fee for him now from some other mugs then we should make it happen.

This recent love-in for him has been embarassing, he can't even pass the ball to his own team mates most of the time. Baffled that he's even made it as a pro.

Bit harsh but I agree in a more diluted form .

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Steelman said:

This recent love-in for him has been embarassing

The constant witch hunt against him is more embarrassing, with people too stubborn to admit when he's had a decent game

In reality, he's ok for a mid table - lower champ team. Too inconsistent though. Worried about our lack of options there though. Palmer should be first choice RB with odubaj and iorfa both not good enough for RB. Reach gyas never been a LB

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Penney wasn’t very good. He showed great promise, but faded badly.

Plenty of scope still, but not right now.

He was playing well and then got injured. I think he has a lot of potential. Certainly ok as a back up left back for me. But i think the move is good for Penney and we should keep fox as back up. Penney develops in a new culture and hopefully comes back experienced and good to go. Unless Sunderland offer absolutely stupid money, then go get a free agent to be back up, but can't see it being stupid money myself.

1 hour ago, Steelman said:

Get rid.

He managed to pick Reach out for the goal at Preston..

Loads of posters saying that Thornily can do a job at left back for us.However, has he been playing for the U23's ? I haven't seen or heard of him since he departed preseason in Portugal early. Maybe Ethel or John O'Brien can shed some light on it ?

39 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

image.jpeg.1a17f04ed0a032af1aa9fa737032a84a.jpeg

"Morgan Fox is not going anywhere. We won't leave ourselves short with one left back"

Lee Bullen

You could argue we’ve already left ourselves short in this area. Next thing Bullen will be saying is he’s the right man for the vacant manager’s job? :biggrin:

Edited by Great Big Galaa

On 26/08/2019 at 12:28, jonnyowl said:

Boo boys won that one then!

Don't see why we would get rid, our only natural left back and more than good enough as a back up! Unless he doesn't want to be a backup!

Don't forget that Palmer only got the LB job trying to impress Mr Bruce and win himself another contract and strangely enough Palmer and Fox have been contenders for man of the match in most of the games that they have been played despite the scepticism from some parts of the fanbase.

Personally, I am not all that thrilled at the defensive qualities of any of our fullback choices, other than Matt Penney, before he got injured and played further up the pitch. If Fox does go, and I would prefer him to stay and keep fighting for his place in the team, I would not be too surprised if Penney was re-called, although I would rather see him play a few games on loan, to get his match fitness and get rid of his new found petulant streak!

38 minutes ago, erowl said:

:laugh: You couldn't make this sh!t up ... so what if he gets injured then LB??

Wouldn't that leave us short?

Useless.

But you can turn a transfer big down

You can't turn an injury down.

Well. Not unless you're Chuck Norris.