Rowett win-win

On 25/08/2019 at 23:33, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's done nothing and plays dull football. No thanks.

Also I forgot he's as fickle as Bruce and will be away in a shot if a better offer comes along

During Rowett's full season in charge of Derby, they reached the playoff final, scoring fewer goals than only Wolves, Fulham and Villa along the way.

I'd take that kind of 'dull' football.

3 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

That for me raises alarms over the appoint "up and coming" manager, e.g.Cowley. Based on the Stoke experience, Rowett beats one of the best young managers. Do we go for experience, but not quite successful (Rowett/Monk), experienced, done it, but boring (Pulis) or the greater gamble of done it at a lower level (Cowley)?

I don't envy the job Chansiri has. And with the current state of the fan base, I suspect the majority will go "FFS" when the appointment is finally made, because there aren't any outstanding candidates.

I think up and coming but with some experience ie Rowett/Neil is probably a good balance in the absence of a clear proven candidate as Bruce was.

By the time the Chairman decides that Bullen isn’t good enough, Rowett will be at Huddersfield or elsewhere?

Total joke that after appointing someone with the gravitas of Bruce (notwithstanding the manner of his exit) we are currently trundling along with Bullen. Laughable it really is :mad:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

By the time the Chairman decides that Bullen isn’t good enough, Rowett will be at Huddersfield or elsewhere?

Total joke that after appointing someone with the gravitas of Bruce (notwithstanding the manner of his exit) we are currently trundling along with Bullen. Laughable it really is :mad:

Maybe, and I'm just guessing here, Chansiri has already decided that Bullen isn't good enough. Maybe he decided a few weeks ago.

It could be that he's also decided that Rowett etc aren't good enough either. A lot on here would agree.

He may be quietly working on a candidate with Bruce's level of gravitas and thinks keeping Bullen in place temporarily is better than scraping the barrel for the sake of satisfying the impatient fans' need for an appointment.

Then again, you could think the worst. Perhaps he's just dragging it out to save money to help with FFP. Or he's got a buyer lined up who wants to make his own appointment. Or...

Gary Rowett you say?? Has he been mentioned before??? let me check............... only 14 million times.

If it was going to be Rowett, it would have happened IMO. Sorry Dotty.

Average record and would certainly be a punt if went for him. Hold off DC.

15 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Maybe, and I'm just guessing here, Chansiri has already decided that Bullen isn't good enough. Maybe he decided a few weeks ago.

It could be that he's also decided that Rowett etc aren't good enough either. A lot on here would agree.

He may be quietly working on a candidate with Bruce's level of gravitas and thinks keeping Bullen in place temporarily is better than scraping the barrel for the sake of satisfying the impatient fans' need for an appointment.

Then again, you could think the worst. Perhaps he's just dragging it out to save money to help with FFP. Or he's got a buyer lined up who wants to make his own appointment. Or...

I would never fall in to the trap of thinking the Chairman is a decisive forward thinking leader? :rolleyes:

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

During Rowett's full season in charge of Derby, they reached the playoff final, scoring fewer goals than only Wolves, Fulham and Villa along the way.

I'd take that kind of 'dull' football.

Are you suggesting he plays interesting, expansive football?

On 26/08/2019 at 13:55, mrrodge said:

Rowett is not the man for me. I'm interested to hear the viewpoints of people saying he has done well at 3 of his 4 clubs

Burton - lead them to 2 playoffs but ultimately failed. Did Carlos not do this for us yet his tenure is seen as a failure by some fans

Birmingham - ok he led a poor team to a decent mid table finish.

Derby - spent a lot on wages on old players and then failed in the playoffs.

Stoke - disaster

Burton a relatively small club to the playoffs twice is an achievement. It can happen to many managers. Carlos arguably had a squad capable of getting top two and his recruitment was shocking in areas, but two playoffs was decent. 

Birmingham were challenging us for 6th place and his sacking more or less sealed our place in the playoffs.

Derby were top 2, scored the third highest amount of goals in the league that season and lost narrowly in the playoffs. That happened to Brighton when we beat them. Derby fans didn’t want to lose him to stoke despite this.

Stoke was a disaster but after he left they got worse!

1 hour ago, tarn owl said:

Gary Rowett you say?? Has he been mentioned before??? let me check............... only 14 million times.

If it was going to be Rowett, it would have happened IMO. Sorry Dotty.

Average record and would certainly be a punt if went for him. Hold off DC.

He doesn’t have the elusive promotion, but his record is far from average.

17 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Burton a relatively small club to the playoffs twice is an achievement. It can happen to many managers. Carlos arguably had a squad capable of getting top two and his recruitment was shocking in areas, but two playoffs was decent. 

Birmingham were challenging us for 6th place and his sacking more or less sealed our place in the playoffs.

Derby were top 2, scored the third highest amount of goals in the league that season and lost narrowly in the playoffs. That happened to Brighton when we beat them. Derby fans didn’t want to lose him to stoke despite this.

Stoke was a disaster but after he left they got worse!

You can run a list of achievements for most managers who are available, Steve Mclaren, Moyes, Coleman, Pulis. Doesn't necessarily make them the right man for the job. Lots and lots of managers available who have had great success that are being dismissed. It will be a personal call that some will disagree with. I think Rowett is a better option than lots of those names, but Rowett will still be available after 10 games if Bullen is not capable. I think let Bullen finish a proper run before hiring someone like this. I would hire Pulis out of the current crop of out of work managers if came down to it. So happy to wait and see if Bullen comes good first.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Are you suggesting he plays interesting, expansive football?

I'm suggesting he plays effective football which gets good results from the players at his disposal. It can be expansive at times, yeah. 70 goals in a league season is nothing to be sniffed at, and something I'd certainly welcome at Wednesday. His Derby team that season were far from 'dull'.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by 'interesting' football. As long as it's effective and we're winning games, then I'll be interested.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm suggesting he plays effective football which gets good results from the players at his disposal. It can be expansive at times, yeah. 70 goals in a league season is nothing to be sniffed at, and something I'd certainly welcome at Wednesday. His Derby team that season were far from 'dull'.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by 'interesting' football. As long as it's effective and we're winning games, then I'll be interested.

Dull football is ok as long as you're winning. If the results are bad the crowd turn quicker when the football is bad. 

What we have to remember is that results are not the be all and end all-there are loads of examples where a manager has been finished because the fans didn't like the football. We are not above that at Wednesday, if the football is bad we won't be happy.

Furthermore Rowett plays boring football, 4th highest goals in the championship for 1 season is not proof that he's an attacking manager. 

Reiterate what I said earlier, he changed his style at Derby ‘cos he knew he needed to. In the same way he knew he needed to play a tight ‘turn teams around’ style when having a tighter budget at Burton/Brum....

AND he knows the Championship and is available.....stick him on a year contract with big bonus to reach play-off/promotion and see what he can do......

Pulis is the best option from the most experienced, least exposed manager status, suspect he would wee wee off DC with his demands and the fans with the football. Personally not for me but get why people may look from a promotion at all costs perspective.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Dull football is ok as long as you're winning. If the results are bad the crowd turn quicker when the football is bad. 

What we have to remember is that results are not the be all and end all-there are loads of examples where a manager has been finished because the fans didn't like the football. We are not above that at Wednesday, if the football is bad we won't be happy.

Furthermore Rowett plays boring football, 4th highest goals in the championship for 1 season is not proof that he's an attacking manager. 

Fair enough, you think his football is 'boring' and 'dull'; I think it's effective and pragmatic.

We'll agree to disagree.

It doesn't look like Rowett's on his way here any time soon anyway, so it doesn't matter a great deal either way.

2 hours ago, tarn owl said:

You can run a list of achievements for most managers who are available, Steve Mclaren, Moyes, Coleman, Pulis. Doesn't necessarily make them the right man for the job. Lots and lots of managers available who have had great success that are being dismissed. It will be a personal call that some will disagree with. I think Rowett is a better option than lots of those names, but Rowett will still be available after 10 games if Bullen is not capable. I think let Bullen finish a proper run before hiring someone like this. I would hire Pulis out of the current crop of out of work managers if came down to it. So happy to wait and see if Bullen comes good first.

True but I can think of plenty of reasons why most of those mentioned are not right for the job or wouldn’t want it (Moyes wants the US, McLaren is a joke, Coleman wasted his chance to shine, Pulis is effective but would need to buy a new team of giants).  But those don’t apply to Rowett who has had two different scenarios at derby and Birmingham and had both in and around the top six. Stoke has harmed him but I think it’s a red herring. 

The main issue with Rowett is his huge backroom team.

If we could realistically pick anyone in or out of work who would it be?