Chansiri - Spare us the doomfest

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

True. We weren't at our best.

We never are at Deepdale it seems.

(For which Preston probably deserve some credit that we never apportion them)

The errors though can't be overlooked. 

Without them , in a very dull game, we'd have probably come away with a point-  Even if we'd not scored. Pre-kick off and our record their considered I think we'd have seen it as a decent away point.

I’m a bit surprised by our record there , it’s shocking . Do we play a certain way because of that though , we so could have and should have got something from that game that’s the  frustrating thing , Frustrating hmm sums up my years following our great team I suppose 

34 minutes ago, modboy said:

A good manager makes all the difference, look at Leeds, what an inspirational appointment 

Exactly.

Chansiri got it right with Bruce - he was the kind of appointment that could revolutionise our club, and the immediate impact he had was obvious.

To be on the verge of going into the season with Bruce at the helm only to end up with a caretaker manager in charge for a sizeable chunk of the season would be galling to say the least.

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Bruce showed what could be done with this squad. 

What was it, 2 defeats since Christmas before the millwall game? Now that’s 2 in 3.

The sooner we get an experienced, know-how manager in the sooner we can start to understand better what this season will bring 

No it wasn’t...Wednesday under Bruce lost 3 of the last 6 or 7 games at the back end of last season.

Bruce raised the profile of the club a significant notch, too.

He's a big name and a big character with big game and big club experience as a manager and player- with a very decent managerial record at this level - and more importantly was exactly what we needed and still need to lift us from 'fairly decent sometimes' like most the division can be to promotion candidates.  He can get fairly average players playing at their very best consistently.

We're better off waiting for the right man - maybe we're playing a waiting game on Hughton, Moyes or even someone like Van Bronkhorst.  I get the feeling that DC is happy to spend big or than getting someone in for the sake of it. 

If it was to be one of the more available candidates I'd personally go for Rowett. The situation at Stoke seems like it wasn't really his fault, he was decent at Birmingham and Derby and obviously Burton before that and he seems like the straight talking type we could do with at times - wouldn't really have a problem and can see him doing well here.

3 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Bruce raised the profile of the club a significant notch, too.

He's a big name and a big character with big game and big club experience as a manager and player- with a very decent managerial record at this level - and more importantly was exactly what we needed and still need to lift us from 'fairly decent sometimes' like most the division can be to promotion candidates.  He can get fairly average players playing at their very best consistently.

We're better off waiting for the right man - maybe we're playing a waiting game on Hughton, Moyes or even someone like Van Bronkhorst.  I get the feeling that DC is happy to spend big or than getting someone in for the sake of it. 

If it was to be one of the more available candidates I'd personally go for Rowett. The situation at Stoke seems like it wasn't really his fault, he was decent at Birmingham and Derby and obviously Burton before that and he seems like the straight talking type we could do with at times - wouldn't really have a problem and can see him doing well here.

Not to mention a big belly and a big hooter.

Banjo.png

If I was the chairman and advisors I would be looking at managers and the way they set up their teams to play. Find one that fits our players or one that doesn't require a full overhaul of the squad. Similar to how Southampton recruit players and managers. That should rule out Stendel as his style doesn't fit our type of player at all. Alex Neils team played some decent stuff without being too tippy tappy on Saturday. We made Pearson look like Xavi though. Rowett also plays similarly, as did Bruce. A more direct approach but without the lumping what seems to have crept into our play the last few games. I'm fairly certain there are a plethora of unproven candidates on the continent or in leagues one or lower, we just need to to be diligent and do some proper research to find them. 

13 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

True.

And as Fox said in his post match interview,  that's how they were told to play , "moving the ball faster into the right areas."  He said they haven't done it till the last half an hour in the previous two games and that its down to them, the players  to start doing it from the off like they've been told to. 

11  on the pitch have to take the responsibility for their actions once the first whistle blows. 

And the managers responsible if they’re not following his instructions. 

The fact that none of us can come up with a convincing candidate, must mean it’s practically impossible for someone, who has watched far less football than most of us. Often in these situations, there is one obvious good fit out there, but of all the candidates mentioned, I can’t think of one. It really does boil down to, who would be the least worse option, and that’s a far from ideal situation, and one that would probably lead to us having to do this all again in 12 months time.

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, GerOwl said:

If I was the chairman and advisors I would be looking at managers and the way they set up their teams to play. Find one that fits our players or one that doesn't require a full overhaul of the squad. Similar to how Southampton recruit players and managers. That should rule out Stendel as his style doesn't fit our type of player at all. Alex Neils team played some decent stuff without being too tippy tappy on Saturday. We made Pearson look like Xavi though. Rowett also plays similarly, as did Bruce. A more direct approach but without the lumping what seems to have crept into our play the last few games. I'm fairly certain there are a plethora of unproven candidates on the continent or in leagues one or lower, we just need to to be diligent and do some proper research to find them. 

Somebody posted this video when Rowett was first mentioned as a candidate and his most successful results come from playing our current system which made me choose him as the best of an uninspiring bunch of out of work managers. 

Having watched his Sky punditry in recent weeks though I find him annoying, I don't know if this is a valid reason for not appointing him and added to this DC may be put off by his "ship jumping" record.

We were a bit spoilt with our last appointment and DC got that very right (although he turned out to be a bit ofacunt) and it was quite obvious he was already in before Jos was out so I find it hard to believe there isn't work being done behind the scenes.

We've had a decent start, things could have gone very much more wrong given the circumstances, I don't want Bully permanently but I am struggling to see an obvious replacement away from the carousel which is where I want us to go.

16 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Somebody posted this video when Rowett was first mentioned as a candidate and his most successful results come from playing our current system which made me choose him as the best of an uninspiring bunch of out of work managers. 

Having watched his Sky punditry in recent weeks though I find him annoying, I don't know if this is a valid reason for not appointing him and added to this DC may be put off by his "ship jumping" record.

We were a bit spoilt with our last appointment and DC got that very right (although he turned out to be a bit ofacunt) and it was quite obvious he was already in before Jos was out so I find it hard to believe there isn't work being done behind the scenes.

We've had a decent start, things could have gone very much more wrong given the circumstances, I don't want Bully permanently but I am struggling to see an obvious replacement away from the carousel which is where I want us to go.

I still don't believe we are good enough to go up so in that case we should take our time and appoint someone who we will stick behind for a few years, regardless of if we are having a bad run. Difficult in Football I know but is also the reason why we should be scouting for this manager. Swansea appointed Potter from being succesful in the realtively unknown Norwegian league and have now appointed the old U17 England manager. I still think the next appointment will be out of left field unless one of the big english names says yes to us. 

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The fact that none of us can come up with a convincing candidate, must mean it’s practically impossible for someone, who has watched far less football than most of us. Often in these situations, there is one obvious good fit out there, but of all the candidates mentioned, I can’t think of one. It really does boil down to, who would be the least worse option, and that’s a far from ideal situation, and one that would probably lead to us having to do this all again in 12 months time.

It seems that way and it’s a good point, but to be fair..it’s for the exec’s / board (who ever that may be - DC?) of SWFC to find a suitable candidate not the fans. 

I’m sure there’s a good manager somewhere in the world that might want to manage us.  It’s worrying if not 

47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

lol  priceless

54 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The reason is that the convincing candidates won't come here.

And if ever they did, then they'd probably get poached, as Fatso was.

The bulk of them are simply hanging around until the PL sacking season starts.

And those that are left will want to go parachute.

Forget Guardiola, Klopp, Sizeable Sam, Hughton/Houghton etc.

We're talking Rowett, Pulis, 'Olly and co.

The blokes in the studios.

But at least they're managers, which is more than can be said for Bullen.

8 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The reason is that the convincing candidates won't come here.

And if ever they did, then they'd probably get poached, as Fatso was.

The bulk of them are simply hanging around until the PL sacking season starts.

And those that are left will want to go parachute.

Forget Guardiola, Klopp, Sizeable Sam, Hughton/Houghton etc.

We're talking Rowett, Pulis, 'Olly and co.

The blokes in the studios.

But at least they're managers, which is more than can be said for Bullen.

As Sky pundits said, interference is another big factor for a top manager.

Petrescu if Cluj eliminated this week - see Lennon's face when Dan mugged him at Celtic Park (with a two bob budget).

15 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

True.

And as Fox said in his post match interview,  that's how they were told to play , "moving the ball faster into the right areas."  He said they haven't done it till the last half an hour in the previous two games and that its down to them, the players  to start doing it from the off like they've been told to. 

11  on the pitch have to take the responsibility for their actions once the first whistle blows. 

Quite alarming hearing this. Not heard the interview but watching on Saturday the players seemed to have no sense of purpose. Westwood did the exact opposite of ‘moving the ball-quickly’ for example, slowing play down every time followed by a big boot. Players on the pitch are ultimately responsible for their own performance but very concerning to read what has come from Fox.