Perspective

I cannot forecast to you the progress of Sheffield Wednesday. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key: Adhte Nuhiu.

garymegson

During the dark days of the summer, when everything was overcast, and the phantom menace of the embargo loomed, as is now traditional for a summer in S6. Before a quarrel between Rafa Benitez and Mike Ashley dealt a new mortal threat to Wednesday. Before the spectre of a few Local Quangos, Politicians and Police revealed their plans to destroy Sheffield Wednesday. I felt a malaise about our prospects this season. The new wingers had not arrived, and neither had Kaiser Bȍrner. I felt that come September and October the optimism which we had at the end of last season would start to evaporate under the pressure of the start of the new season, in which we would have to build a new team. A new season which would also see Leeds in poll position at the start of the season, as is also now traditionally the case.

And then disaster struck, history repeated itself and Bruce leaves to go to Newcastle, because it’s the only club he would leave Wednesday for now he has managed Wednesday and United, Birmingham and Villa and Sunderland to complete the challenge of the “Judas Iscariot” Football Managerial Mercenaries Triathlon.

And once again Lee Bullen stepped up to the plate in times of uncertainty and kept things ticking over as they were. What’s more he then signs two wingers with pace and a midfielder with an engine, strengthening areas of the squad, which were clearly lacking for years. He starts the season with two wins in the first two matches of the season. A feat which has been unheard of in recent seasons, and the wingers have an immediate impact and look unstoppable. And as is the Wednesday way, expectations start to rise.

Rome was not built in a day. There are still problems, but we still have good players. Formations and Tactics should be moulded to fit the players we have available in our squad. We need to be dynamic and not predictable. Bullen knows that. Maybe the formations and tactics will change from week to week, to cater for the size of the squad.There will be more changes for the Rotherham game and the next game until the riddle is solved.

• Like 4

Why can’t we keep it simple and go out to win, let other teams worry about us, and get in other team’s faces to deny space and force mistakes? Would make a nice change from bigging up the opposition, sitting deep, admiring opponents stringing passes together unchallenged and only showing attacking intent after the game is as good as over.

• Thanks 1

What p*sses me off (and has done for a few years now) is the needless tackles that we make outside and inside the area where opposition players are going nowhere.. Too many penalties and too many set pieces that lead to subsequent goals... Push up and play the game in their half, not ours!    

Edited by owls-swfc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owls-swfc said:

What p*sses me off (and has done for a few years now) is the needless tackles that we make outside and inside the area where opposition players are going nowhere.. Too many penalties and too many set pieces that lead to subsequent goals... Push up and play the game in their half, not ours!    

Indeed,but paying £5 million for a player would have stopped that,well at least it would have yesterday...........................................FFS.:tango:

4 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

Yep. This is a key issue and one that needs to be addressed.

In most games we give away more free kicks than we get. We also pick up a lot of cards. Our disciplinary record ain’t good.

But we not a dirty side, if anything we are short of a few cloggers and get bullied too much.

But we are totally naive. Experienced players like Bannan and Hutch lose their heads and make stupid tackles. They then moan at the ref and get on the wrong side of him. This does us no favours and if I was the manager I wouldn’t put up with it

Generally this is the same throughout the team in terms of naivety but these two are by far the worst.

22 hours ago, Daz said:

Why can’t we keep it simple and go out to win, let other teams worry about us, and get in other team’s faces to deny space and force mistakes? Would make a nice change from bigging up the opposition, sitting deep, admiring opponents stringing passes together unchallenged and only showing attacking intent after the game is as good as over.

I'd rather we went out and attacked teams from the off. Statistically the team who scores first normally wins the game. 

We have so many strikers we should be playing two up front and making them the focus of the play, not our midfield and centre backs.

We see time and time again that when we play directly with two or even three strikers teams can't handle the pressure. I'm sceptical about a lot of the Managers people are pushing forward for the job as I don't see them changing this. I'd be happy for Bullen to continue if he sees this himself, which I think we'll find out on Wednesday night. 

By all means play three in midfield in the second half if we have the lead, but we'd do a lot better if we had the lead in the first place, rather than chasing a lead we've given the opponent due to over playing in our own half.

21 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I'd rather we went out and attacked teams from the off. Statistically the team who scores first normally wins the game. 

We have so many strikers we should be playing two up front and making them the focus of the play, not our midfield and centre backs.

We see time and time again that when we play directly with two or even three strikers teams can't handle the pressure. I'm sceptical about a lot of the Managers people are pushing forward for the job as I don't see them changing this. I'd be happy for Bullen to continue if he sees this himself, which I think we'll find out on Wednesday night. 

By all means play three in midfield in the second half if we have the lead, but we'd do a lot better if we had the lead in the first place, rather than chasing a lead we've given the opponent due to over playing in our own half.

Interesting post.

Last 15 mins Saturday we went 352 and had Harris FF Reach in effect playing just behind Nuhiu and Fletcher with Bannan and Hutch in centre midfield.

We got everything forward pretty quickly and played very high tempo . We certainly upset them, they couldn’t cope and we could have got something.

The question is would this work from the start of a game.

How long could we keep it going for.

Or is it just suicidal

United played a bit like this last season and it worked.  They throw bodies forward out wide.

They are obviously more controlled and organised because they have been playing it 3 years 

52 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Interesting post.

Last 15 mins Saturday we went 352 and had Harris FF Reach in effect playing just behind Nuhiu and Fletcher with Bannan and Hutch in centre midfield.

We got everything forward pretty quickly and played very high tempo . We certainly upset them, they couldn’t cope and we could have got something.

The question is would this work from the start of a game.

How long could we keep it going for.

Or is it just suicidal

United played a bit like this last season and it worked.  They throw bodies forward out wide.

They are obviously more controlled and organised because they have been playing it 3 years 

From what I saw of Bielsa's Leeds they play in a similar way, and he's doing well again this season, so it clearly works in the Championship.

This isn't a new style of football. Some might call it Dinosaur football, but when one of your Centre Forwards is a Tyranasaurs Rex, and you have two Velociraptors on the wing, why aren't we playing to our strengths? This is even more the case with most teams playing very deep in their own half. 

I'm not saying its the only way to play every game and you can only play that way for 90 minutes. Clearly any team is going to struggle keeping up that level of pressure over ninety minutes, but if we can do it for the last twenty minutes, we can do it for the first twenty minutes. 

I still believe in patches you still need our midfield to control possession, but not for the first 70 minutes.