Alex Neil summed it up.

‘Basically what they did was lump it from back to front’

Pretty easy to counteract that. Fill the void in midfield and double up on Fletcher.

Our midfield against Luton and Preston sat so deep lumping it forward was the only real option.

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I wouldn't change to 3-5-2, but I would tweak our 4-3-3 into a 4-2-3-1. That would mean we'd have a no.10 to support and link with Fletcher. He's not getting much of that at the moment. I appreciate Bullen wants high press & counter, but only a few of our players have the attributes required. I also think that can only work if the centre-forward is a top-drawer all-rounder. 

we needed at least one of them when gray was in charge, but now the issue would be the money available.

25 minutes ago, LittleG said:

True. We have Hutch playing more or less as a third centre back and always looking to play it back when he receives the ball. We then have BB and Lee who will get bullied by many teams away from home because they are too lightweight. We are still looking for that dominant, powerful midfielder we have been crying out for since the play off final defeat.

Hutch was 25 yards too deep yesterday, left us short of options for a forward pass into midfield....

I don't think we pressed once yesterday despite Pearson having the ball every time they had posession

2 hours ago, Northanstonowl said:

Westwood

Lees                                      Bates                            Borner

Palmer/ Iorfa             Lee                                  Hutchinson                       Bannon                   Reach

Harris                                    Fletcher

I know when we last tried 3-5-2 we lost more than anything. Maybe something to look into over the international break. Also need to see how good Bates is.

Westwood will never keep any clean sheets if he stands there, FACT.

• Haha 1

We have a multitude of problems most of our own making and the formation is one of them. Get on the front foot and have our wide players attacking with Lee making runs and supporting Fletcher and it works. Play like Preston and it doesn’t.

442 works if it’s played right. 352 or 4231 the same. Actually would like to see Forestieri in the number 10 role so maybe that could be key but whatever formation we play we need to have certain characteristics in our players. Don’t punt balls to Fletcher as a loan striker he isn’t good enough at that.

Do not let Bannan play deep it makes us a poor unbalanced team. In fact if we’re not dictating don’t play Bannan at all. He can be a class act in this league if played right, in the pockets behind the forwards or wide players creating. Not getting the ball off defenders.

Get the best out of Forestieri however that may be done. 

We still need an identity and style of play and we won't get that unless we appoint a full time manager - whoever that may be.

I think with the players we have 4-3-3 will work but it needs some work still on the training pitch and we're probably falling short in on-game management right now - sorry Bullen.

I'd like to see Luongo put into the side. I think his energy, battling and box to box ability will prove to be invaluable this season. Especially as I don't think we can rely on our first choice midfield for an entire season. I think we will regret not bringing in a younger version of Hutch.

Sometimes we should utilise Luongo, Reach and FF. I'd also consider changing between formations for different games. Sometimes 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 will suit going at some teams but on other occasions we might need to battle and switch it up to a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, depending on the opposition, what suits us best or how a game is going.