Westwood

Lees                                      Bates                            Borner

Palmer/ Iorfa             Lee                                  Hutchinson                       Bannon                   Reach

Harris                                    Fletcher

I know when we last tried 3-5-2 we lost more than anything. Maybe something to look into over the international break. Also need to see how good Bates is.

Not seeing it tbh.

I actually dont have an issue with playing 4-3-3. Heck, it is the formation of choice for most top teams these days.

Our problem is the way we go about playing. 4-3-3 isn't going to work if you constantly hoof the ball up to an isolated striker who has zero support. Likewise, hoofing it up to Harris and Murphy is just stupid.

Oh, and 4-3-3 wont work if you have a central three who are completely static. I thought the whole point of the system was to give you extra control in midfield. We went out of our way to negate that yesterday.

Edited by SiJ

Just now, 1993swfc said:

It doesn’t matter on the formation if we don’t have a way of attacking. 352 can become 541 very fast if we are as reluctant to come out and play as we have been recently. 

This.

4-3-3 becomes 4-5-1 too often if you play like we do.

It is about the players and what they're doing on the pitch. 

Guest wilyfox

I wouldn't change to 3-5-2, but I would tweak our 4-3-3 into a 4-2-3-1. That would mean we'd have a no.10 to support and link with Fletcher. He's not getting much of that at the moment. I appreciate Bullen wants high press & counter, but only a few of our players have the attributes required. I also think that can only work if the centre-forward is a top-drawer all-rounder. 

45 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I wouldn't change to 3-5-2, but I would tweak our 4-3-3 into a 4-2-3-1. That would mean we'd have a no.10 to support and link with Fletcher. He's not getting much of that at the moment. I appreciate Bullen wants high press & counter, but only a few of our players have the attributes required. I also think that can only work if the centre-forward is a top-drawer all-rounder. 

I think you might be onto something - put FF in that no.10 role, have him press high, maybe try Lee and Luongo as the 2?

4-1-3-2

Iorfa ,Lees Borner ,Palmer

Hutchinson

Harris    Bannan  Reach

Fessi   Fletcher 

Give it Harris or Reach , hit the goal line , pull back to the edges  ,Fletcher nods down , Fessi follows up , jobs a good 'un , no probs .

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alan48 said:

4-1-3-2

Hutchinson

Harris    Bannan  Reach

Fessi   Fletcher 

Give it Harris or Reach , hit the goal line , pull back to the edges  ,Fletcher nods down , Fessi follows up , jobs a good 'un , no probs .

Get thi cv in lad !

Guest LittleG
58 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

That midfield is awful 

True. We have Hutch playing more or less as a third centre back and always looking to play it back when he receives the ball. We then have BB and Lee who will get bullied by many teams away from home because they are too lightweight. We are still looking for that dominant, powerful midfielder we have been crying out for since the play off final defeat.

4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 is all the same formation. Its just its different guises dependent on the phase of play we're in.

If you have 4-2-3-1 as your base formation you need the wide men to be compact out of possession, and be dynamic and expand quickly when we regain possession to stretch the opposition. In Harris and Murphy we have that.

Equally one of the midfielders has to be capable of playing the attacking midfielder role to support the forward and get beyond if necessary, in Kieran Lee we have that.

One of the DCMs has to be capable of springing forward and arriving late and having the legs to get back if things break down in attack, the classic box to box midfielder. I'm still not sure we have that although Luongo might be. I'd still prefer 6ft plus with energy and athleticism.

That gives you your 5 in attack and 5 at the back. That's balance. The striker gets support, the midfield gets numbers, the team gets width, it has pace, it has running from deep, players arriving late and creativity.

The player missing... Bannan. I'm still not convinced he is the right fit. I see Kieran Lee capable of playing penetrating passes, I don't think we need a player who invites the press.

Tin hat on, but hey, that's the beauty of opinion.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
31 minutes ago, alan48 said:

4-1-3-2

Hutchinson

Harris    Bannan  Reach

Fessi   Fletcher 

Like the idea but Harris would be poo centrally