Owls2k

Best start (5 games) since promotion in 2012

At least we've got a few points on the board now  we usually wait until late September early October to start winning. 

7 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Without the crazy penalties, we had more shots on target than them. We also had more attempts than them. Yep we were poor today but were hardly well beaten by a decent preston side.

Sorry but I am struggling to remember their keeper making any saves from our shots on target.

He was having a rest for most of the game.

We were pants. 

• Agree 3

It’s been a relatively easy start and I can’t get enthusiastic about this season to be honest. The Börner and Harris signings look great but something is concerning me in central midfield - we now have 3 in there and we are not controlling things. The engine room is not functioning.  I also think there’s not enough goals in this side. 

I dont see us as a top 6 side come May 2020.

• Agree 1

I think people are being over the top with the negativity.

The truth is, the first 10 games of the season is a truer litmus test as to where we are this season, and the facts are it's a remarkable start given the upheaval we had 2 weeks prior to the start of the season.

I get that fans may not particularly see Bullen as the answer to filoing the manager's role, but he is only doing the job the club is asking of him, nobody knows if he even wants it.

I disagree with the notion that we've had easy games since the start of the season, they're easy on paper only.

The underlying reason is we are still tweaking the team to find the best 11, and the fact it's Bullen rather than Bruce or A.N.Other is a reason to beat the club with a stick.

Our form, is playoff form, speaks for itself.

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

It’s been a relatively easy start and I can’t get enthusiastic about this season to be honest. The Börner and Harris signings look great but something is concerning me in central midfield - we now have 3 in there and we are not controlling things. The engine room is not functioning.  I also think there’s not enough goals in this side. 

I dont see us as a top 6 side come May 2020.

Agree, but Hopefully getting a decent manager in might reignite our passion , just hope Chansiri doesn't do the usual and leave it too long

9 from 15 is a good start and like others have posted, 2 defeats have come from errors and not being outplayed.

a win on Saturday - 12 from 18, I would have happily taken that at the start of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh statistics! What about 3 points from the last 9?

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

The truth is, the first 10 games of the season is a truer litmus test as to where we are this season, and the facts are it's a remarkable start given the upheaval we had 2 weeks prior to the start of the season.

I get that fans may not particularly see Bullen as the answer to filoing the manager's role, but he is only doing the job the club is asking of him, nobody knows if he even wants it.

I disagree with the notion that we've had easy games since the start of the season, they're easy on paper only.

The underlying reason is we are still tweaking the team to find the best 11, and the fact it's Bullen rather than Bruce or A.N.Other is a reason to beat the club with a stick.

Next 6 after the QPR game will obviously prove your point ?

Do you really think that we haven't had an easy start ?

I feel sorry for  Bullen,  but hes stuck his neck out now and I think with him at the helm we will finish half way , with a squad capable of promotion 

15 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Play off form ? Long way short yesterday and long periods against Luton , we need to improve , look to go at teams more .

I sometimes feel you have to respect the opinion of fans who were at the game more. These fans have spent hard earned cash and time traveling to urge the team win. They are witnessing first hand the commitment levels of the team. The team needs to feel the pressure from these fans if we want to achieve promotion.

I felt sh*te for a good half hour after the game yesterday and I was doing something fun with family, if you've been at the game that feeling is multiplied by 10 and you've still got a hellish journey home wondering why the f**k you wasted a glorious bank hol Saturday.

If these fan were not able to vent on owlstalk who know what they may do. Owlstalk is sanctuary for the Wednesday afflicted. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Think we would have won them all with Bruce at the helm 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Stoop said:

Points wise it’s not a bad start

The frustrating thing is that we’ve faced 2 real tests and we’ve been found wanting on both occasions 

Bang on - which means a likely middtable finish and another season wasted if the status quote continues.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Bang on - which means a likely middtable finish and another season wasted if the status quote continues.

With our finances showing that were screwed (unless suddenly we sell a twenty million pounds player each year)

Ps status quo on ITV at the moment lol

My take is,people are saying we've just faced 2 real tests??Honestly,Millwall and Preston?no disrespect but,can any body see them being up there end of season?If you want to get in around the playoffs you need results at these places,just dont lose,out of the 1st 5 games,all were winnable on paper if we are a serious team.I dont think Weeds would have lost any of our 1st 5 games,simple.Not a bad start but,not good enough with the teams we've played...IMO...UTO,FTB..

• Agree 1

After the Barnsley game I felt quite excited for what was to come.

Barnsley thought they would press high against us and we wouldn’t be able to cope, instead we reversed the rolls and out pressed them.

We seemed to now stopped doing that and look mediocre at times (though Harris always looks positive).

Press high, give the opposition no time, attack and believe we are going to win every match.

As I keep saying (and keep apologising for) we need to be more Wilder.

Play our own game of pressing high, attacking football and not worry about the opposition too much, that may sound slightly naive but that’s how the blunts have moved ahead of us and got where we want to be in a relatively short period under Wilder.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The fact that this is our best start since 2012 in terms of points won after five games and yet there's a general air of ambivalence among the fanbase is surely quite telling?

We've not looked convincing since the Barnsley game and the managerial situation is leading to uncertainty.

Decisive action is needed by Chansiri to build some real positivity now.

Who would recommend to DC, we should have as manager?

9 hours ago, Rogers said:

Jordan Rhodes also scored 36 goals that season..is he going to do the same this season. 

No, and?

9 hours ago, Owlsend said:

It may be the best start for a long time and but I’m under no illusion with Bullen  being manager.

let’s start  from the first game Reading was a good performance a good win teams will soon pick up how we are playing if they do not change the system that’s down to the manager we went on and won Barnsley a team that will be Avoiding relegation at best .

Then we lost to Millwall they will be lucky if they’are in the top 10 .

then we won Luton Another team I that I think will be avoiding Relegation but Possibility they may finish mid-table at best .

leaves us to today’s game absolutely shocking until the last 10 minutes I think we had two shots on target all game .

They’re getting used to Bullens one and only tactic with no Plan B.

Don’t get me wrong I love the guy but I don’t want him  becoming manager

Please forgive me for any spelling I’ve had one or two pops tonight

Just that gutted with that performance

Bit harsh to say we had no plan be when we switched formations twice during the match, whether the plans worked or not is a different discussion, mind.

58 minutes ago, Bluey9 said:

Next 6 after the QPR game will obviously prove your point ?

Do you really think that we haven't had an easy start ?

I feel sorry for  Bullen,  but hes stuck his neck out now and I think with him at the helm we will finish half way , with a squad capable of promotion 

Define an easy start?

2 teams that have come up from the league below that have carried good form into the new season? What do you base your assessment on? Not being belligerent, it's a genuine question. 

Our record at Preston for the past 8 years is god awful, bar 1 result gaining a point in an end of season dead rubber game. 

Millwall is a horrible place to go to, turned out to be one of those days. 

My argument is that Bullen has got the setup for a game wrong once, that was yesterday. By time we started to play, the game was already lost.

I disagree with the notion that we have a team capable of the top 2, we are a way behind the stronger teams in the division this season - Leeds, Fulham and WBA will be fighting for those positions with Derby closing the gap. We are looking at the last 2 positions in the top 6, if we stay injury free and have a bit of luck. 

Those are my 'expectations', I disagree with yours.

54 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Play off form ? Long way short yesterday and long periods against Luton , we need to improve , look to go at teams more .

Yes it's play off form.

Winning 3 of every 5 games would see us in the playoffs comfortably. 

The performances need to improve, I get that. But realistically, how many teams sack (or don't give a job to) a manager that has the team in and around the playoffs? 

For all we know, Lee is putting a front on because he's as frustrated with the situation as some of the fans are. The thing that goes against the grain for me is the general feeling that we need change for the sake of change. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

My take is,people are saying we've just faced 2 real tests??Honestly,Millwall and Preston?no disrespect but,can any body see them being up there end of season?If you want to get in around the playoffs you need results at these places,just dont lose,out of the 1st 5 games,all were winnable on paper if we are a serious team.I dont think Weeds would have lost any of our 1st 5 games,simple.Not a bad start but,not good enough with the teams we've played...IMO...UTO,FTB..

Unfortunately football is played on grass and not paper. Results never go the way you think against certain opposition, it's just how the league is, our mix of pressing and counter attacking probably suits us to play better opposition thinking about it. 

We've not been trounced in either defeat, at Millwall we should have won the game and today we turned up for 15 minutes and should have got a point in the end, Preston themselves did nothing all game.