My take - just got back

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Fletcher too lazy?

Must be a different Fletcher to the one who plays for us.

Glad you picked up on the one small detail about Fletch. But if he’s your primary outlet then he needs to be available. He jogs back. He’s absent from his role. If Westwood did the same he’d be out of position, he rarely is. Having said that, I think he could have commanded the long ball into his area for the 1st pen

Guest Bulgaria
10 hours ago, PortlandOwl said:

Watching Wednesday is like deja vous. Nothing seems to change.

Aye, but the coaches have all these coaching badges so it must be us fans who are incapable of seeing what's required.

My dog can work out that having Fletcher or Rhodes up top on their own is bordering on a felony charge.

Maybe they are all just thick?

I'm not too worries defensively, we won't give away two pens in one game again this season And especially the same player giving them away.

I'm more concerned about us going forward. It's just not working with one upfront, we need to find a way to get more fluency in attack and more of a goal scoring threat!

My main concern is the midfield trio. We’ve all been saying for ages that we need 3 in there to control games. Well now we have 3 playing in there, we are still playing too deep and we aren’t controlling the games as we should be. We are sacrificing a striker up top and we aren’t looking a goal threat. That midfield trio needs to seriously up its game big time. That means the 2 players playing in advance of Hutch playing further up the pitch and getting more in the opposition half. If we can’t sort this out, we may as well go back to 4-4-2.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

My main concern is the midfield trio. We’ve all been saying for ages that we need 3 in there to control games. Well now we have 3 playing in there, we are still playing too deep and we aren’t controlling the games as we should be. We are sacrificing a striker up top and we aren’t looking a goal threat. That midfield trio needs to seriously up its game big time. That means the 2 players playing in advance of Hutch playing further up the pitch and getting more in the opposition half. If we can’t sort this out, we may as well go back to 4-4-2.

I watched 10 mins of Preston against Stoke on telly midweek and saw that they swamped midfield.

They did the same yesterday.

They played a back 4 , a lone striker and the other 5 basically played in midfield. 

Our system was totally naive.

I presume our plan was to get the ball to our wingers but because we lost midfield and our fullbacks rarely crossed the halfway line this never happened.

The only way to get further up the pitch if you have lost midfield is route one and this is what we were left with.

You need 3 centre midfield players but the wide players need to also be capable of coming inside to both help the midfield and support Fletcher. When they come inside the full backs can get forward.

At the moment we are getting nothing from our fullbacks in an attacking sense because the wingers are occupying the space they need to move into.

Hence we are playing with a back 5 including Hutch who is also very limited in what he brings to the game.

Back to your point. Yep the attacking midfielders need to get further forward but they can’t because we get left with a big hole between them and the back 5.

It’s like watching school kids 

Guest LittleG
11 hours ago, PortlandOwl said:

12 hours ago, gizowl said:

Where are all the Nuhui and Fessi knockers tonight?man up and apologise to the said players for the disgraceful things you've called them, someone called Ian one the biggest culprits. 

Assuming you are talking about me (?) then yes I am a HUGE Donkey Dave knocker. Apologies are not needed. This is a forum, designed for people to have opinions. You have yours. I have mine.

However in the 15 mins today, to be fair to Dave, he looked like the bang average Championship striker that some on here think he is, as opposed to the absolutely diabolical striker that I think he is. Well done Dave. He did certainly turn it a bit in our favour today, without actually producing anything that troubled the scoreboard operators. Fessi I do like. Well, maybe used to like. But he also achieved nothing today. However he needs game time - same can be said of all our strikers.

But yes, I agree, we looked a beter team in the final 15 minutes with Dave and Fessi on the pitch, merely because we got more bodies forward, and attacked for a change.

Guest gizowl
6 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Assuming you are talking about me (?) then yes I am a HUGE Donkey Dave knocker. Apologies are not needed. This is a forum, designed for people to have opinions. You have yours. I have mine.

However in the 15 mins today, to be fair to Dave, he looked like the bang average Championship striker that some on here think he is, as opposed to the absolutely diabolical striker that I think he is. Well done Dave. He did certainly turn it a bit in our favour today, without actually producing anything that troubled the scoreboard operators. Fessi I do like. Well, maybe used to like. But he also achieved nothing today. However he needs game time - same can be said of all our strikers.

But yes, I agree, we looked a beter team in the final 15 minutes with Dave and Fessi on the pitch, merely because we got more bodies forward, and attacked for a change.

I'm not saying he's a starter, but he can change things off the bench, if the same ones were made at millwall we might have salvaged a point there, it's all about opinions, but what I don't do is insult and name call any of our players, pathetic childish and moronic. 

49 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I watched 10 mins of Preston against Stoke on telly midweek and saw that they swamped midfield.

They did the same yesterday.

They played a back 4 , a lone striker and the other 5 basically played in midfield. 

Our system was totally naive.

I presume our plan was to get the ball to our wingers but because we lost midfield and our fullbacks rarely crossed the halfway line this never happened.

The only way to get further up the pitch if you have lost midfield is route one and this is what we were left with.

You need 3 centre midfield players but the wide players need to also be capable of coming inside to both help the midfield and support Fletcher. When they come inside the full backs can get forward.

At the moment we are getting nothing from our fullbacks in an attacking sense because the wingers are occupying the space they need to move into.

Hence we are playing with a back 5 including Hutch who is also very limited in what he brings to the game.

Back to your point. Yep the attacking midfielders need to get further forward but they can’t because we get left with a big hole between them and the back 5.

It’s like watching school kids 

You raise some good points. However, I went down to reading first game of the season and our formation was more 4-5-1. Reach and Harris were helping the full back out all game. They were certainly more wide midfielders than wide attackers. Even in that game until Hutchinson scored, we had no control in the middle. 

I do ‘get’ that if we want Harris and Murphy to be wide attackers then we need our full backs to bomb on and help our midfield out. Like Liverpool do it and Robertson and TAA are like wingers. However, if we have Palmer and fox playing full back like most want on here, then this will not happen. 

We need to try and find a way of playing and get it coached properly in training. I don’t see a pattern of play at the moment and I don’t see any plan.