My take - just got back

13 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just got back myself.

Well, we were hopeless until the Big Man came on and started getting about them.

Prior to then, our main tactic was aimless hoofs to Fletcher. He won a few, but there was rarely anyone around him. It was nothing, aimless football. Something we've seen too often over the years. 

Preston aren't a good side imo and yet they were sleepwalking into a 2-0 win until we finally showed a bit of quality.

There is talent in this side, but mentally I'm not convinced.

Too often they are happy to let games pass them by; waiting for something to happen rather than trying to force something to happen.

With that mindset, they will lose more away from home than they win. You cant turn up for a last hurrah with 10 minutes to go and expect to pick up points. 

Ratings 

Westwood 6 - had little to do outside of picking the ball out of the net 

Moses - minus 2 - woeful

Lees 4 - bullied by the PNE striker 

Borner 6 - solid

Fox 6 - solid

Hutch 5.5 - didn't really impose himself

Bannan 5 - too much Barry Alonso today 

Lee 5 - barely involved 

Harris 6 - ok, but seemed to lose sight of the ball a fair bit 

Fletcher 6.5 - good header and worked hard, but Ronaldo would find it hard work with that service 

Murphy 5.5 - ok, but pretty ineffective 

Subs 

Nuhiu 8 - our best player by a mile 

Reach 7 - decent cameo and a great cross for the goal

Nando 6 - had a few moments

Very fair breakdown and comments.

46 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just got back myself.

Well, we were hopeless until the Big Man came on and started getting about them.

Prior to then, our main tactic was aimless hoofs to Fletcher. He won a few, but there was rarely anyone around him. It was nothing, aimless football. Something we've seen too often over the years. 

Preston aren't a good side imo and yet they were sleepwalking into a 2-0 win until we finally showed a bit of quality.

Too often they are happy to let games pass them by; waiting for something to happen rather than trying to force something to happen.

With that mindset, they will lose more away from home than they win. You cant turn up for a last hurrah with 10 minutes to go and expect to pick up points. 

Ratings 

Moses - minus 2 - woeful

Borner 6 - solid

Fox 6 - solid

Lee 5 - barely involved 

Fletcher 6.5 - good header and worked hard, but Ronaldo would find it hard work with that service 

Subs 

Cant really disagree with this. I thought Borner was our best player today taken on the 90 minutes, but Nuihu was excellent. I’d also repeat what I’ve mentioned before in that Nuihu and Fessi often seem more up for it when they are both on the pitch together and there’s a 3rd forward player (think Hooper, Joao in the past).

Once again our first half tactics seem too defensive, we seem to start not wanting to concede.

I'm a big Kieran Lee fan, but I’m not yet convinced he’s the player he was. Luongo has to get a start soon for me, plus I always worry when we have both Bannon and Hutch in midfield together, they both drop alongside the CHs at times and we rarely have an outball.

i genuinely believe we aren’t far off if we can get the tactics right.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

Never thought I’d say this but with Palmer and Fox as full backs I think defence is looking ok.  Biggest worries for me are:

a) midfield 3 offer little creativity and no real physical presence, unless you count some of Hutch’s rash challenges (those players fell short in 2016 and haven’t improved since).  I know all 3 are well loved but don’t think they are the way forward as a unit.

b) lack of goal threat from front 3 - extra pace out wide has been refreshing but Fletcher gets very little support.

Fully agree. My main concern is the midfield which, as you say, has not been changed for 3 years. Lee and BB do not have enough physical presence to combat a lot of the opposition's midfield in this division.

Defensively apart from Odubajo we did well. Lees wasn’t bullied, won his fair share, it’ impossible to win them all.

How many saves did Westwood actually have to make?

Tactically they played 4 in a diamond in midfield and this allowed them to control the game.

We did nothing in midfield where all 3 looked very limited. Bannan and Lee can play but are too weak, Hutch doesn’t contribute enough. Like to see the times he touched the ball compared to Pearson. We desperately need to give Luongo a game in midfield to see if he can improve us.

FF didn’t look interested until Nuhiu came on.

Their gamesmanship, cheating is outrageous but we have experienced players who continually fall for it. Giving away ridiculous fouls when all they need to do is stay on their feet.

The referee wasn’t great especially his timekeeping.

Second half Odubajo was down at least 2 mins, 5 subs and he  held his arm up to say he had stopped his watch at least 10 times but only came up with 5 minutes added time. How many times did their players go down, stop the game and forcing the ref to go to look at them. . At least 6 second half.

Unbelievable.

58 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just got back myself.

Ratings 

Moses - minus 2 - woeful

Borner 6 - solid

Fox 6 - solid

Lee 5 - barely involved 

Subs 

Thought Murphy was lazy today but agree with sentiments.

Oh by the way you aren't allowed to say Lees gets bullied too easily or you upset the Owlstalk Petals

It was a nothing game until the penalty. Both teams were dire, Preston were buoyed by the pen and we struggled from then. 

Not the end of the world at all, frustrating how we couldn't find our way back in until the last 15 minutes where we were pretty unlucky not to score again, at that point we were far more threatening than PNE were for the whole match. 

• Like 1

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, 33 said:

Thought Murphy was lazy today but agree with sentiments.

Oh by the way you aren't allowed to say Lees gets bullied too easily or you upset the Owlstalk Petals

We had the haterzs, now we've got the petals. People can have different opinions without being categorized.

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Absolute tripe. 

If Fox has done what Odabajo had done today, he’d be hounded out of the City. 

Big lump upfront bullied us and it happens regular. Said last week Borner and Lee’s weren’t big enough and I also said many on here were getting carried away after beating a Barnsley side that will finish bottom. 

And finally, appoint a fcvkubg manager. 

I agree with what you say, for 75 min today we were poor.

Westwood knocking a long ball to Fletcher who despite being out numbered worked hard all match.

Their first penalty was a little dubious, maybe, but then I am bias.

Yet at the end we could have snatched an equaliser. Sorry, Bullen is way out of his depth.

PS

Thanks Jamie Vardy .

WAWAW

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Odubajo was terrible and needs dropping

But being bullied? No we weren’t. They worked hard and pressed us and we had no idea on how to break them open today until Nuhui came on

We don’t look like we have a plan B - and I think that’s why Bully isn’t the man for job 

We didnt break poo open .  Pne let up.

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Odubajo was terrible and needs dropping

But being bullied? No we weren’t. They worked hard and pressed us and we had no idea on how to break them open today until Nuhui came on

We don’t look like we have a plan B - and I think that’s why Bully isn’t the man for job 

We had a plan B - 442. Then a plan C - 343.