Didn't turn up

Simply this. Can't expect to win matches when you don't start playing until you're 2 nil down and 15 minutes to go.

It's always the case here at Preston too, so not sure if it is Bullens doing per say.

Doesn't help having a poor ref too but he called both pens correct.

One thing to note - the game swung when Atdhe Nuhiu came on. He was immense, completely unplayable. Maybe against the niggly teams, PNE and Millwall eg, he should start?

2 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Simply this. Can't expect to win matches when you don't start playing until you're 2 nil down and 15 minutes to go.

It's always the case here at Preston too, so not sure if it is Bullens doing per say.

One thing to note - the game swung when Atdhe Nuhiu came on. He was immense, completely unplayable. Maybe against the niggly teams, PNE and Millwall eg, he should start?

Sounds like Preston weren't much better but we gifted them the initiative just as Stoke did for them in midweek.

After the Barnsley game Bullen said we gave them a taste of what they did to Fulham by pressing them high and it worked. We came out and pressed Luton 2nd half and it worked again.

I don't mind getting beat so much if we give it our all and lose out to a better side but as you say, meandering through 70 minutes of a contest then giving it a go when it is too late is disappointing and probably more frustrating than getting beat outright.

We were crap; the ref was crap; and Preston were crap too.

We did our obligatory show up for the last 15 minutes when the game is practically lost routine. 

We wont do anything this season if we dont change that mindset.

36 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Fully agree we went with wrong team. We have certain players who are not suited by bully and hassle teams and have high energy in midfield. Likewise Nuhiu is very effective against certain opposition. Clearly the manager does not understand which players are suited to which scenario. If fans can see this it does not say much for person picking team. 

I also thought he could motivate team but way we have started in last two games I seriously doubt this.

3 minutes ago, Quist said:

Fully agree we went with wrong team. We have certain players who are not suited by bully and hassle teams and have high energy in midfield. Likewise Nuhiu is very effective against certain opposition. Clearly the manager does not understand which players are suited to which scenario. If fans can see this it does not say much for person picking team. 

I also thought he could motivate team but way we have started in last two games I seriously doubt this.

Plenty of fans said they were happy with the team before kick off. I posted I'd rathe have Luongo than Bannan for this one but if he's not fully fit I can understand Bullen going for Bannan

Odubajo, doesn't look good defensively but Iorfa was part of the problem for the goal last week. Who else can we use?

Not easy this manager lark, glad it's not me. I'd go for the high press and all out attack every game. We can rip teams to shreds when we do that. Not sophisticated footbal though.

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Plenty of fans said they were happy with the team before kick off. I posted I'd rathe have Luongo than Bannan for this one but if he's not fully fit I can understand Bullen going for Bannan

Odubajo, doesn't look good defensively but Iorfa was part of the problem for the goal last week. Who else can we use?

Not easy this manager lark, glad it's not me. I'd go for the high press and all out attack every game. We can rip teams to shreds when we do that. Not sophisticated footbal though.

I said Luongo and reach with Hutchinson prior to kick off. I went for 4 -2-3-1 system. Away from home Odubajo needs some protection as he is better attacking rather than defending. You have two defensive midfielders covering in behind. neill is smart boss will have notice weakness and exploited this. Iorfa was fouled by Millwall player as it was clear push. I went to game nad he played well first half and should not have been subbed at half time.

The team is not working as a unit Murphy has skill but is not integrated into team. When Bannan is played against high energy midfields were are in trouble from the off as he can not cope with this and we keep giving ball to opposition as we channel balls down this line. We have a left sided bias when attacking which is easy to defend against. 

It is not surprising we played best against Barnsley because we used a variety of methods to get ball forward and had more legs in midfield than normal. Banna is excellent player against teams who do not play high energetic football in midfield or big physical teams.

The problem is so obvious its unbelievable we jdo not try to correct. In previous seasons we did not have options but this year we have unfortunately we appear not to have a manager who understands basic tactics. 

Preston do have one or two decent players, but are so very well organized and work extremely hard in never giving the opposition players time on the ball - it takes them a long way in games, especially at Deepdale.

Simple, and yet effective enough against most sides. Still, it's disappointing that we couldn't just get about them much earlier in the game.

It's also disappointing that Bullen didn't seek to at least bring Nuhiu on earlier. I've seen Nuhiu put in a number of very good performances against Preston now and Bullen ought to know this because he's been in the dugout for all of them. They really struggle to deal with him.