Wednesday 1 Gillingham 0 1980

33 minutes ago, gizowl said:

We played Colchester in last game of season at Hillsborough, drew 0.0,about 30.000 was the attendance as we confirmed promotion to the old division 2.Best away games that season were at the lane where we took the ground over and Blackburn who also got promotion, it was a night game, sell out 9,000 in the away end, we played great that night, was trailing 1.0 at half time but scored twice in the second half as Wednesday attacked the away end. We went mental, what an atmosphere. Johnson and King scored I think, that put us in the driving seat to pip Chesterfield to third place, Grimsby and Blackburn finished first and second. 

No mate it was Carlisle. 

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gizowl said:

We played Colchester in last game of season at Hillsborough, drew 0.0,about 30.000 was the attendance as we confirmed promotion to the old division 2.Best away games that season were at the lane where we took the ground over and Blackburn who also got promotion, it was a night game, sell out 9,000 in the away end, we played great that night, was trailing 1.0 at half time but scored twice in the second half as Wednesday attacked the away end. We went mental, what an atmosphere. Johnson and King scored I think, that put us in the driving seat to pip Chesterfield to third place, Grimsby and Blackburn finished first and second. 

Think spider mellor got the first and ticker taylor got the winner 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gizowl said:

Best 2 away games I've ever been to were both at Blackburn  the game you've mentioned and the semi when we won 4 2  best I've ever seen us play  

Guest gizowl
4 hours ago, Nut said:

Think spider mellor got the first and ticker taylor got the winner 

Memory is not what it use to be. 

Guest gizowl
5 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

No mate it was Carlisle. 

Yes mate your Wright, I just remember it being a bit of a anti climax, but we got the point needed to secure promotion. 

7 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I agree about not doing drugs, but didnSid stick the knife in her? Or, as has been alleged, a drug dealer whilst Sid was  out of it.

Who knows ? Due to Sid and Nancy being  dead by the time we played Orient in 1980  that rules either of them out of doing a poo in the urinal.

Unless one of them did poo in a random sink and a Wednesday fan came across it and decided to keep it thinking that would be good for a laugh when we play Gillingham in 1980.

Could have kept it in the freezer. You no what those Punk Rockers were like, especially Vivian.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Went to the game, went to all the games then home and away.

Can't remember it.

Can only just remember the derby games, Cardiff away and the last home game. Even then I can't remember who we played in that game, was it Palace?

palace was our next promotion season ! (i think ) 

Just now, brian joicey said:

palace was our next promotion season ! (i think ) 

So was Cardiff away.  I think Man City on bank holiday Monday was the last home game.  0-0 draw that cost us the championship on goal difference.  We won promotion against Palace with 3 or 4 games to go.

22 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

So was Cardiff away.  I think Man City on bank holiday Monday was the last home game.  0-0 draw that cost us the championship on goal difference.  We won promotion against Palace with 3 or 4 games to go.

you are correct of course, the memory plays tricks these days ! 

30 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

you are correct of course, the memory plays tricks these days ! 

It's funny because I can remember most things about those days, yet struggle to remember who scored against Luton.

:image:

• Like 1

Guest LittleG
9 hours ago, gizowl said:

The Blackburn match was the best away game ever for me. Like you said we took 9000 and the atmosphere was unbelievable.

Guest LittleG
25 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

It's funny because I can remember most things about those days, yet struggle to remember who scored against Luton.

:image:

When did we play Luton?

10 hours ago, gizowl said:

I (honestly) always thought blackhall and taylor scored that night, but I could only just see the top of the crossbar and about 18 inches below that for the packed crowd.

me an' my mate arrived and close to 07-15 ish I turned to say 'i expected a better turn out than this' when a hoard from the 'football special' rounded the corner, it was packed jam solid. at the time i'd one of those blue jumpers on with the owl badge, I'd to take it off as it was sweltering in there.

did garner score for then, and as usual that brotherston caused us problems all night. from memories now coming back to me, didn't we have to go in without big andy mac, and john lowie stood in for him?

also worrying was one of their backline could match tc for pace.

14 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I’ve been recalling some games in the 1979/80 season, my first one of going regularly. What are people’s recollection of this game? From memory we got a

penalty near the end and Smith scored. It was a few days after the Easter game at the Lane. Anybody have any more memories of this match??

I remember going to Colchester during the steel strike in sheffield (was that the following year?)

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

hatrick of pens for andy blair .... was that last week ???lol

Nah, think we drew 4-4 with Hull City. (That was some match!)

On 23/08/2019 at 21:14, sexpistol said:

Certain games just stand out for no reason. One such game was the season after in a 2-2 draw with Orient, it was apparently Mirocevic’s debut and he scored. I remember nothing about the game, but I do remember at half time seeing that someone had took a sh*t in the urinal. I was sat in the South stand. I wonder if anybody on here was the mystery sh1tter???

And we still don’t know who did it??💩image.png.e5120a234c295d5f74297be8309ccb3d.png