Palmer or Fox

Palmer has made himself the first choice. 

Fox has come in for his first game of the season and performed well. 

Good situation.

Also don't think Fox ever got enough credit for his goal against Norwich.

As a devotee of diving headers this was a real box ticker for me. Full length, flat body, nice neck-twist-thrust.

Both feet off the floor, not one of those half arris'ed. leading with one leg jobs.  

image.png.c8db3dc1c06996c6ea79f33e3829dd95.png

Terrific.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Palmer by a country mile! Fox is not good enough but if he’s starting he needs our support. Simple as that!

Disagree our defence looks miles stronger with Fox as out of the 2 he is a far better defender. As has been said this is one area of huge concern for the team

• Haha 1

Either / or

Both valuable members of the squad. Both will play vital roles over the course of the whole season.

I’d play either at any side of the pitch in preference to Hutchinson too.

Hutch has a more vital role to play as a defensive midfielder or temporary centre back. 

Kieran Lee has the ability to play at right full back, his original position when signed for Wednesday, if needed in emergency and was available to fill in at full back on Tuesday night if needed for example.

We have a good squad for this promotion campaign, with good options from the bench, providing useful versatility if used properly.

• Like 2

On the day they can be as good as each other.

but Palmer in my eyes is a more reliable source makes less errors and is a good workhorse never stops running

fox is a bit lazy at times and gets his self in bad positions to backtrack Still a capable player at this level but would prefer him is a good backup or a substitute

40 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Whats the plan then Pete? Boo Fox and Palmer, keep booing until they break.

For someone who has been to 80 games in the last 2 year (your words), you’ve not quite grasped this support concept have you?

Did I or have I at any time mentioned booing Fox or Palmer, what I said is that neither are as good as the full backs in Ron Atkinson and wikos promotion winning teams and IMO both are poor fullbacks.

1 hour ago, outlaw pete said:

Neither for me,both are poor players. Neither would get into big Ron’s promotion team nor Wilkos team. We need better.

Thanks for pointing out that Palmer or Fox wouldn’t get in the either of the two sides that would pretty much make up the majority of a best 11 in the last half a century.

I’ll go a stage further and say none of the current squad would get in those sides. Not really a parameter to measure the current squad by I would suggest.

• Like 1

Palmer if fit. Made that position his own since Lazaar got injured last season and hasn’t put a foot wrong.

Not a Fox fan at all, but the booing is disgraceful and embarrassing to our support. I’d personally if Palmer is injured see Iorfa come back in at RB and move Odubajo to LB. 

image.png.606667bbaf7854bae335d061fd8fda89.pngMorgan Fox & Liam Palmer  -  Morgans stood up to it, shown a heck of a lot of character, especially in the second half of the game and did really well. We got a clean sheet and he was part of that. Morgans done great.  I think Liam has probably , is probably our first choice left back at the moment -even though he's right footed- because he's done so well. Morgan had a chance, did really well, especially second half so he's making it a difficult decision if Liam comes through unscathed in the training session today.

13 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Thanks for pointing out that Palmer or Fox wouldn’t get in the either of the two sides that would pretty much make up the majority of a best 11 in the last half a century.

I’ll go a stage further and say none of the current squad would get in those sides. Not really a parameter to measure the current squad by I would suggest.

I believe you are 100% correct and maybe after 20 years out of the premier league we have become accustomed to watching very mediocre players.

The irony is that for the privilege we are being charged a fortune to watch rubbish.

i am waiting for one of the Palmer and Fox sycophants to tell me they are better fullbacks than Sterland, Worthington and Nilsson.

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

image.png.606667bbaf7854bae335d061fd8fda89.pngMorgan Fox & Liam Palmer  -  Morgans stood up to it, shown a heck of a lot of character, especially in the second half of the game and did really well. We got a clean sheet and he was part of that. Morgans done great.  I think Liam has probably , is probably our first choice left back at the moment -even though he's right footed- because he's done so well. Morgan had a chance, did really well, especially second half so he's making it a difficult decision if Liam comes through unscathed in the training session today.

I'm not a fan of change for changes sake, I think it sends out the wrong message to the rest of the players

Fox did nothing wrong against Luton and in my opinion deserves to keep the shirt, or what's the point in working hard when you know you're going to get dropped as soon as the first choice is fit

Obviously there are circumstances that the average fan isn't party to.

Tactics play a big part, the coach see's the players everyday in training so there could be an issue we aren't aware of

He may employ tactics which suit one or the other better

Then there's the players that walk back into the team when fit, but we don't have as many of them as some people would think 

For me, with the system we play, they are Westwood, Lees, and Fletcher, I know some people would add Bannan, Hutchinson, Reach, Harris, and Lee to that list, but we have such good options in midfield these days, that I'm not sure those players are undroppable

I don't know what the loan agreement is with Murphy, maybe he has to play

Harris is the interesting one for me, if he keeps up the fine form he will soon find himself on the undroppable list, if he's not on it already

He reminds me a lot of Jermaine Johnson, he has the ability to take the ball far up the pitch and give the defenders a breather, he has more control than JJ too, and he can be trusted to help out in defence which JJ wasn't particularly good at.

I can't wait to see what team is picked

For me, we have to match Preston up, and play a 4-5-1 like they do

I hope Bullen puts Luongo in the middle with Hutchinson, which if he goes with Murphy and Harris out wide, would leave Bannan, Lee, and Reach fighting for the final spot, but I don't think Bullen is brave enough to do that

I'd have a midfield 5 of Murphy, Hutchinson, Luongo, Lee and Harris for this one

I know how good Bannan can be, but we are going to be under the cosh a bit in this one, and Bannan sits too deep, I think we will need players who can break out quickly

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, Owl999 said:

Palmer for me although I don’t fully understand the dogs abuse that Fox gets, we’ve had a lot worse players that were hero worshiped by the fans Reda Johnson for one .

I think you have inadvertently hit on Fox’s problem.

He has ability though I would question his athleticism.

His main issue however is that he looks like a rabbit in headlights when he is on the pitch and doesn’t appear to display any confidence or dominance. 

In contrast Reda appeared to love every minute out there, wasn’t concerned about his weaknesses and looked to bully people and play to his strengths.

You just can’t afford to be reticent on a football pitch 

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

We have a much better shape/balance with a natural LB actually playing LB.

Having said that it’s still a position of concern no matter whom of the present squad plays there!

Agree, Palmer has shown hes the better option due to his improved all round game. Having a right footer at LB does leave us unbalanced at times though. 

Fox is an adequate back up, more limited in his attacking play, but not concerned if he starts. Thought he was poor first half v Luton, but did well second half.

The stick he got from 'fans' was disgraceful and embarrassing. Fox isht the best player, but while in a Wednesday shirt deserves support.

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I think you have inadvertently hit on Fox’s problem.

He has ability though I would question his athleticism.

His main issue however is that he looks like a rabbit in headlights when he is on the pitch and doesn’t appear to display any confidence or dominance. 

In contrast Reda appeared to love every minute out there, wasn’t concerned about his weaknesses and looked to bully people and play to his strengths.

You just can’t afford to be reticent on a football pitch 

Maybe so the crowd getting in his back is hardly going to help his confidence, Reda played football in a league where the standard is nowhere near as high as the Championship 

15 minutes ago, owlsdreamer said:

Palmer or Fox?

Can we have lazaar back?

just listening to Bullen presso.

He making Preston out to be world beaters.

It was Millwall last week.

If he slags them off it's easy for the opposition manager to psych his team up. 'He said they would walk over us, let's make him eat his words' etc. etc.etc.

Best course of action is always be respectful of the opposition. It also stops our players taking their foot off the gas because they think it will be an easy game.

Even if you are playing the bottom of the leaguye you say it will be a hard game. You don't have to believe it, you still say it.