Sky Sports News today ...

40 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

You didnt obviously hear Gary Neville talking about the Leeds rivalry when we played Salford other week then?

Its horrible for you I know that Manchester United see Leeds as a fierce rival and want us back up there and that alongside Liverpool, Leeds are Manchester United main rival in football  His words not mine.  Its better just to pretend they dont care about Leeds obviously for you lot.

and yet here we are, a post about why there is so much attention from Sky about Leeds.....and then claims nobody cares about Leeds.

Ironic.

Why would a European giant give Leeds a second thought? They average 70k week in week out whilst you struggle to pull in 25k.  They are a world known brand who have produced famous icons like Beckham. You're greatest player is Harry Kewell. Do me a favour and stop smoking the funny stuff. They are the most successful club in Britain and whilst they have won domestic and european leagues and titles you have been yo yo-ing between League One and the Championship. Have some perspective and if you really are that desperate for a rival then why not start one with Bradford just a few miles up the road

25 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Living round here its painfully obvious how bitter you are, desperate to be considered a 'massive' club, yet nobody much outside your local rivals is bothered.  You know its true, but desperate for it to be different.  Another club like so many that people just arnt bothered about...while just up the road a club is noticed around the world.

You like every other club will get all excited when Leeds come to Hillsborough and be desperate to ousting Leeds on a big day for you.

I dont mind Wednesday tbh, lots of mates who are Wednesday fans but this bitterness about Leeds is very daft.

Massive chip on your shoulders.

I don't think there's bitterness towards the club, but there is towards the Leeds-based media.

After all, Sheffield is no closer to Leeds than it is to Manchester, Nottingham or Derby.

The difference is that both Wednesday and Leeds are covered by the same local media, who see the latter as the "home" team.

It isn't related to success, because no matter how many trophies Liverpool won over the years Man Utd were always regarded as number one by Granada TV.

And in any one-club city you always find that the local media is sycophantic because falling out with the club is not an option.

But that all comes at a price, because the mess Leeds are in is largely due to a belief that the club is bigger than it actually is.

If, in the early 2000s, the club had seen itself for what it then was, rather than what it once had been, then it would never have been relegated.

Wednesday went down because the financial system they operated simply couldn't work in modern football, but Leeds didn't necessarily have to suffer the same fate and would have stayed up had they been sensible.

Like Forest, Leeds had a lot of success under one man in a very different footballing era.

Unfashionable clubs which, due to the brilliance of their managers, rose to prominence.

Imagine Forest, a club whose players had to train in a field full of cows, going on to lift European Cups.

Better days in my view, because that couldn't happen now.

But unlike Forest fans, many of their Leeds counterparts seem incapable of grasping the fact that the 60s and 70s were very different times.

So, like the UK, the club sacrifices its future for the sake of what it once was.

Obsessing about the days when it could justifiably be regarded as a rival to the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Longing for the times which, barring the arrival of a Sheikh Mansour, can never return.

In that decade Leeds built a nationwide fan-base, and the fans are rightly proud of the success the club had.

But that era is a world away now.

So cherish the past, but don't live in it.

• Like 1

Leeds united died when they went into administration ,the new Leeds have zero history 

They try and think in their weird little heads that man u are a big rival,I know a lot of man u fans and Leeds are as big as a rival to them as Burnley are.

Sky will rim Leeds til the day I die but other than the city of Leeds and half of Barnsley who gives a flying f#ck about them 

But, but Man U described them as the *old enemy* before a pre season match in er Perth.

Such a fearsome, intense rivalry that it has been reduced to a pre-season match in Australia. 

Hilarious that some Leeds fans use that *rivalry* as the reason why they're such a huge club.

54 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

You didnt obviously hear Gary Neville talking about the Leeds rivalry when we played Salford other week then?

Its horrible for you I know that Manchester United see Leeds as a fierce rival and want us back up there and that alongside Liverpool, Leeds are Manchester United main rival in football  His words not mine.  Its better just to pretend they dont care about Leeds obviously for you lot.

Here are some Gary Neville quotes, from a Leeds-Live article, prior to that Salford game. None of it backs up what you've said. He acknowledges the hostility from Leeds, but that doesn't seem reciprocated here.

"It's very difficult to dislike a club you haven't been competing with for 15 or 20 years," 

"It's like (Manchester) City when we was playing at United when we was a lot younger. You didn't really dislike them that much, the game came around and you just sort of played it."

"They were never going to be challenging you, and it is like that with Leeds over the last 10 or 15 years."

"There was a point where they were really successful and got close to winning leagues, and was in the Champions League for a few years."

"So there was a point when it did get heated, especially when Eric (Cantona) left, it got really feisty and hostile.

"I always say this, Liverpool is the biggest rivalry that we have, but the most hostility is definitely from Leeds."

His words not mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has a Leeds fan actually come on here and said they are a huge club because Gary Neville said they are Man Utd’s biggest rivals on Sky Sports?

Jesus Christ. Newsflash for Leeds fans. You call us deluded, but the majority of Man U fans probably don’t care for you. You’ve been out the top flight since 2003. Sorry if that hurts.

1 hour ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

and yet here we are, a post about why there is so much attention from Sky about Leeds.....and then claims nobody cares about Leeds.

Ironic.

Gary Neville might regard Leeds as rivals but I bet there are 70 odd thousand fans of the club who never give Leeds United a second thought as they go about their business quite happily. It really wouldn't matter to them if they never played you ever again. And don't try and claim otherwise.

Edited by Pablo Bonvin
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Leeds united died when they went into administration ,the new Leeds have zero history 

They try and think in their weird little heads that man u are a big rival,I know a lot of man u fans and Leeds are as big as a rival to them as Burnley are.

Sky will rim Leeds til the day I die but other than the city of Leeds and half of Barnsley who gives a flying f#ck about them 

Thanks. You've just ruined one of my favourite ever games.

skyrim-header-10f1c.jpg

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I don't think there's bitterness towards the club, but there is towards the Leeds-based media.

After all, Sheffield is no closer to Leeds than it is to Manchester, Nottingham or Derby.

The difference is that both Wednesday and Leeds are covered by the same local media, who see the latter as the "home" team.

It isn't related to success, because no matter how many trophies Liverpool won over the years Man Utd were always regarded as number one by Granada TV.

And in any one-club city you always find that the local media is sycophantic because falling out with the club is not an option.

But that all comes at a price, because the mess Leeds are in is largely due to a belief that the club is bigger than it actually is.

If, in the early 2000s, the club had seen itself for what it then was, rather than what it once had been, then it would never have been relegated.

Wednesday went down because the financial system they operated simply couldn't work in modern football, but Leeds didn't necessarily have to suffer the same fate and would have stayed up had they been sensible.

Like Forest, Leeds had a lot of success under one man in a very different footballing era.

Unfashionable clubs which, due to the brilliance of their managers, rose to prominence.

Imagine Forest, a club whose players had to train in a field full of cows, going on to lift European Cups.

Better days in my view, because that couldn't happen now.

But unlike Forest fans, many of their Leeds counterparts seem incapable of grasping the fact that the 60s and 70s were very different times.

So, like the UK, the club sacrifices its future for the sake of what it once was.

Obsessing about the days when it could justifiably be regarded as a rival to the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Longing for the times which, barring the arrival of a Sheikh Mansour, can never return.

In that decade Leeds built a nationwide fan-base, and the fans are rightly proud of the success the club had.

But that era is a world away now.

So cherish the past, but don't live in it.

Great post but would have been better voiced by Morgan Freeman over the tune to the Last Of the Summer Wine.

There are local rivals, and competitive rivals.

Local big derbies never change.

- our league one days charlton were our rivals for competition 

- then Birmingham when we first came back up 

- now it’s forest, derby, Leeds, all the top half group.

Leeds were competitive rivals with Man U for a couple of seasons 2 decades ago and dine out on it for life.

That’s like us saying arsenal are our rivals after the double cup final year. 

Leeds have no local rivals, similar to reading or Brighton. 

12 minutes ago, Derbyshirelad said:

FYI, from waccoe ...

We have a thread to collate all the endless stuff the press and fans of other clubs are saying about us and how attractive the football is we play.  Pundits and journalists alike saying how they want to see Leeds promoted.

Sheff Wed have a thread crying about us and the attention we receive. 

Levels.

says the person registering on another team's forum to attempt to be a smug barsteward 

9 minutes ago, Derbyshirelad said:

FYI, from waccoe ...

We have a thread to collate all the endless stuff the press and fans of other clubs are saying about us and how attractive the football is we play.  Pundits and journalists alike saying how they want to see Leeds promoted.

Sheff Wed have a thread crying about us and the attention we receive. 

Levels.

They had better keep hold of Bielsa because once he walks the w*** fest is over. Let's face it all this media love in is down to his reputation. He goes and nobody will even mention Leeds again

Horrible club, thinking they're some kind of european heavyweight and the likes of Man U and Liverpool actually give a t*ss about them. Are they really that deluded? I can't work out whether the Leeds poster was being serious or sarcastic. 

As if Man U fans even bother checking how Leeds get on. Both clubs could not be further apart in history/fanbase/titles etc.

1 hour ago, Derbyshirelad said:

FYI, from waccoe ...

Sheff Wed have a thread crying about us and the attention we crave.

Levels.