Lees & Borner combo

ECe942kWsAAQ8uu.jpg:large

Absolutely solid these two last night winning headers and tackles for fun. Borners calm (and one might say typically German!) assurance seems to have brought the best out in the skipper.

I thought they were both super last night.  I was worried in the summer when we all probably knew that Hector wasn't going to be able to be brought in with the umbongo. But this lad really looks the part and together they look a really solid unit.

Can't say I know much about the Bates lad, but I reckon he'll have a job on to break in if this pair keep developing this partnership they way they are doing. 

• Like 1

I have always insisted Hector would be a wonderful acquisition, but not for £5m. 

This is nothing against Hector personally, who I would still love here, but for that rip-off price of £5m, I'm very glad we saw sense and didn't keep pursuing him. We don't miss him, and we're a fair few million better off for it too.

Borner is going to have the same impact with us as Pontus Jannsen had on leeds when he went there. And eventually I think the rest of the division will take notice of him aswell as being one of the top centre backs in it 

Team of the year.  Borner and Harris calling it now.

Edited by pazowl55

5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I have always insisted Hector would be a wonderful acquisition, but not for £5m. 

This is nothing against Hector personally, who I would still love here, but for that rip-off price of £5m, I'm very glad we saw sense and didn't keep pursuing him. We don't miss him, and we're a fair few million better off for it too.

As I understand it, the fee was not £5m, but £3m. That’s what Fulham were apparently quoted anyway. Think it was a case of us only wanting to do a loan deal, which was always not going to happen Do we miss him, well we did against Millwall, but I suppose time will tell

50 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

ECe942kWsAAQ8uu.jpg:large

Absolutely solid these two last night winning headers and tackles for fun. Borners calm (and one might say typically German!) assurance seems to have brought the best out in the skipper.

I thought they were both super last night.  I was worried in the summer when we all probably knew that Hector wasn't going to be able to be brought in with the umbongo. But this lad really looks the part and together they look a really solid unit.

Can't say I know much about the Bates lad, but I reckon he'll have a job on to break in if this pair keep developing this partnership they way they are doing. 

As with Loovens, Lees is now looking back to his best.

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As I understand it, the fee was not £5m, but £3m. That’s what Fulham were apparently quoted anyway. Think it was a case of us only wanting to do a loan deal, which was always not going to happen Do we miss him, well we did against Millwall, but I suppose time will tell

Is this the same Millwall that saw our right back beaten in the air and our goalkeeper go on walkabouts?

Give over on us "missing Hector" in that game... our right back was marking a player and lost out. Hector on the pitch wouldn't have changed Iorfa marking his man nor Westwood doing his best Steve Bruce impression of walking the dog... any suggestion it would is probably one of the most supposition-filled posts ever put on Owlstalk... and that really is saying something. 

9 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Is this the same Millwall that saw our right back beaten in the air and our goalkeeper go on walkabouts?

Give over on us "missing Hector" in that game... our right back was marking a player and lost out. Hector on the pitch wouldn't have changed Iorfa marking his man nor Westwood doing his best Steve Bruce impression of walking the dog... any suggestion it would is probably one of the most supposition-filled posts ever put on Owlstalk... and that really is saying something. 

Why on earth we bring Harris back to defend corners, I don’t know. In all honesty, I have never been convinced of Iorfa’s defensive qualities. What Hector brought to the side, was an aerial dominance, that we’ve been lacking for years. His head was like a magnet to any ball into the box

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Why on earth we bring Harris back to defend corners, I don’t know. In all honesty, I have never been convinced of Iorfa’s defensive qualities. What Hector brought to the side, was an aerial dominance, that we’ve been lacking for years. His head was like a magnet to any ball into the box

To be honest he stayed forward for them yesterday bar a couple when he came back to stop a short one being taken.

Think we would all have loved to see Hector back,  but so far Borner is looking like some signing and especially on a free transfer 

Bates I have no idea about, but you wouldn’t imagine we will go without fair share of injuries and suspensions so you can’t say the cover isn’t necessary