So who brought the new players in ?

For the first time in years the recruitment has been absolutely spot on and for very little money. 

My only worry is if this was the Steve Bruce effect it just shows what we have lost and what a bell he’s been jumping ship. We have addressed areas that have been crying out for change for years. 

Well done whoever it was (yes including Doubtfire)

There may have been a team of people doing the actual recruiting but the manager will have identified the areas we needed to strengthen and the type of players he wanted. Seem to have got it right other than the forward we need but presume we couldn't sort this without selling more players and no one wanted to buy them. As the OP says, it makes it more annoying that Bruce left when he seemed to know what he was doing. 

Bruce without a doubt - he will have "pre-selected"our targets and some possibly wouldn't have come if he hadn't been here at the time, I cant see Bullen being a "pull" for players to come unless we maintain a top 6 place throughout this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nut said:

There may have been a team of people doing the actual recruiting but the manager will have identified the areas we needed to strengthen and the type of players he wanted. Seem to have got it right other than the forward we need but presume we couldn't sort this without selling more players and no one wanted to buy them. As the OP says, it makes it more annoying that Bruce left when he seemed to know what he was doing. 

Especially as he looks like he doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing in his new job. Very good manager at this level but out of his depth in the PL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

The recruitment team Steve Bruce put in place

I hope you are right Hoots! I must say that their appointments coupled with that of the ex-England fitness coach, are probably the best signings we made, as many people on here have already said.

If you are right and I think you are, that would also mean that we could be in for some more quality bargains, if required in January and/or the summer.

Think Bruce had some recent input, but it started before he arrived. Hector and Onomah, were the start of a more considered approach Yeah, I know Onomah’s time here wasn’t great, but he suffered with injury, and had Bruce stayed, I’m sure he’d have wanted him back. Hector was a revelation. Those two of course, arrived under Jos. 

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I hope you are right Hoots! I must say that their appointments coupled with that of the ex-England fitness coach, are probably the best signings we made, as many people on here have already said.

If you are right and I think you are, that would also mean that we could be in for some more quality bargains, if required in January and/or the summer.

That's what we were told

Bruce brought in his recruitment team

Pretty sure they are still here too

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

4 hours ago, Spookone said:

Bruce without a doubt - he will have "pre-selected"our targets and some possibly wouldn't have come if he hadn't been here at the time, I cant see Bullen being a "pull" for players to come unless we maintain a top 6 place throughout this season.

You offer them the contract they want and they'll come no matter who the manager is .....Bannan and FF would have known very little about the unknown  Carlos but it didn't stop them signing.... I can't think Westwood and Lee's would have thought Stuart Gray is a manager I'd love to play for him 

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

You offer them the contract they want and they'll come no matter who the manager is .....Bannan and FF would have known very little about the unknown  Carlos but it didn't stop them signing.... I can't think Westwood and Lee's would have thought Stuart Gray is a manager I'd love to play for him 

I understand your point, but all things being equal, a higher profile manager who has a record of promotions and is well respected would surely have the edge over an unknown or lower profile manager on a potential target.

1 hour ago, Bigblueowl said:

Are Downes and Hughes still with us? 

Sign them up for a longer contract and pay them more. With a few more like the ones we've signed they will pay for themselves many times over.

When you think of the money wasted over the DC period the transformation is remarkable.

What we need now is a head of selling players. Getting rid of a few for top dollar right at the peak of their value would really get us sorted.

Edited by prowl

9 hours ago, Spookone said:

Not bruce players..without a doubt, never ever does bruce play 4-3-3..the players brought in are ideal for that formation.

Bullen being a pull...? kin foookin ell, dc pays the wages not bullen..and that's all they come for...not a tw@tting luv in with the mighty steve bruce:biggrin: