Overplaying

11 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

as I've pointed out fortune spent, and **** all gained. 

3rd. and 13th. still in same division following year, but 'financial powder' burnt.

as to whether they 'enjoyed' winning nothing is very doubtful indeed.

if you'd followed wednesday for any time you'd know there are very few 'pothunters' in our support.

but of course the bottom line is winning something, and it is for dc too, as promotion brings financial rewards for his input.

you'll have no need to pm me next april as I will be not be taking your suggestion on board and attending as and when I wish.

IF the bottom line for you is taking all day to **** about with the ball in our half playing 'tiptap' whilst being rapidly shut down, it's YOU who may be better off not going, and i'll message you if your 'uncle coco' gets the job again.

That's your nonsense characterisation of a particular way of playing, which for some reason now you seem to be trying to foist on to me as a view I hold about how I'd like to see football played. That's your invention and has nothing to do with me, but good luck with arguing against your own imagination.

Big Hector is pretty decent at passing it around. He’s the sort of player that might thrive with the fannying around. 

I still hope we sign him on loan

But, I agree, there still place for a good old boot up, if required. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Did this thread happen in 1980?

I think some of you wanting just to simply hit a long ball into a CF are not really interested in football.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for that to happen but if that's all you have then give it up, if the CB bosses your CF then its game over and this shouldn't be happening in the Football League, leave that for poor grassroots teams, that approach needs zero skill or ability.

This all started with the England set up, we were awful and something needed to change, we had very good players but why were we so poor?

We weren't good enough in possession, because we weren't used to it, we had maybe 4/5 players who were ok, for the highest level every player needs to be comfortable on the ball, this is why we were so far behind the likes of Brazil, Spain, Germany, Portugal and so on.

Early on under Southgate we were boring, we kept the football but had very little threat or creativity, recently we have looked better because we now have players used to having the ball and we have added players who are pacey and direct but still very good with the ball.

Now, we aren't far off and all our younger age groups are doing well.

English league teams having a philosophy of being good in possession while also being positive is indirectly supporting the England national team.

We love football because its different every time, Man City are different to Liverpool but both successful, it's down to the coach and how he wants to play.

But getting frustrated and angry because a defender keeps possession is just uneducated and needs to remain in the 80's. Ive heard it at Hillsborough and it's embarrassing.

Absolutely...the more footballers we have in the team the better we can keep improving...as long as the ones coming in are better tahn the ones they replace...it's not fookingrocket science

1 hour ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Did this thread happen in 1980?

I think some of you wanting just to simply hit a long ball into a CF are not really interested in football.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for that to happen but if that's all you have then give it up, if the CB bosses your CF then its game over and this shouldn't be happening in the Football League, leave that for poor grassroots teams, that approach needs zero skill or ability.

This all started with the England set up, we were awful and something needed to change, we had very good players but why were we so poor?

We weren't good enough in possession, because we weren't used to it, we had maybe 4/5 players who were ok, for the highest level every player needs to be comfortable on the ball, this is why we were so far behind the likes of Brazil, Spain, Germany, Portugal and so on.

Early on under Southgate we were boring, we kept the football but had very little threat or creativity, recently we have looked better because we now have players used to having the ball and we have added players who are pacey and direct but still very good with the ball.

Now, we aren't far off and all our younger age groups are doing well.

English league teams having a philosophy of being good in possession while also being positive is indirectly supporting the England national team.

We love football because its different every time, Man City are different to Liverpool but both successful, it's down to the coach and how he wants to play.

But getting frustrated and angry because a defender keeps possession is just uneducated and needs to remain in the 80's. Ive heard it at Hillsborough and it's embarrassing.

it's nowhere as simple as you're trying to paint it.

the defence when on the ball, should prioritise NOT BEING CAUGHT IN POSESSION, should that threat materialise then they should look for an 'out ball'.

that can be long to a c/f, or wide to a wingman, or into m/f (where bannan has been told to play, instead of his quarterback role 5 yards off the c/b) which when he does play that role it further complicates matters for us clearing the danger.

england haven't had good technical players since the likes of paul gascoigne, and when they did, it showed in performances and results.

england results have been better because of harry kane, and sterling.

our younger age groups are doing well because they have young STRONG black players in there, I watched us against panama, we were 1-0 up and they were ripping through us, but our stamina allowed us to keep at them, and in the end despite us being dominated for huge periods we hung on, IT WASN'T QUALITY OF PLAY ON OUR HALF.

citeh can afford to have higher standards, with liverpoo' trying to hang onto them, but even the multimillionaire at chelski has had to back off. so where does that leave dc? (even IF his hands weren't tied by P&S.)

we've had the 'educated football' from uncle coco, it failed, it's gone, jos stepped in, and he's gone too, then bruce arrived and with the same coppers that stuart gray had altered matters significantly by eliminating the shyte that coco had turned out at wembley, and bruce had trodden into the floor.

is that the 80's where howard wilkinson took wednesday from second division hopefuls to promotion and up to finishing 5th. in the top flight, and then was driven out to win the title at l**ds by those 'wanting something better' than victories?

we all know where that lil' experiment ended a decade later.

the biggest 'embarrassment' at hillsborough is thinking we've enough money to challenge the parachute boys in an open market, whilst objecting to the entry prices.

'tiptappers' have had their 3 years stint, and won **** all, it's time to be quiet and see what playing in the opposition half can deliver.

if you can only think that what you see is not for you, then perhaps it's best to look in a different direction, the dingles look to have a good possession game (67%) at hillsborough, and we definitely passing the ball all day long.

who knows you could even be in for the managers job, as I can't see stendle lasting long turning that shyte out.

1 hour ago, cowl said:

That's your nonsense characterisation of a particular way of playing, which for some reason now you seem to be trying to foist on to me as a view I hold about how I'd like to see football played. That's your invention and has nothing to do with me, but good luck with arguing against your own imagination.

it's not my 'nonsense characterisation' but it is your nonsense. your hero's 'tiptap' was played for 3 years.

i'm sick of seeing our defenders struggling to control yet another pass from a team mate, before a forward shuts them down and robs them, or forces them backwards again.

that causing us to actually get over the halfway line 2/3 minutes later when their defence has fully formed, then a multi-passing complex move worked on the wing with 3/4 of our players involved, for finally a cross to go in to our one man in the middle marked up by 4 and a keeper. it's been utter kn@ckers.

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

it's not my 'nonsense characterisation' but it is your nonsense. your hero's 'tiptap' was played for 3 years.

i'm sick of seeing our defenders struggling to control yet another pass from a team mate, before a forward shuts them down and robs them, or forces them backwards again.

that causing us to actually get over the halfway line 2/3 minutes later when their defence has fully formed, then a multi-passing complex move worked on the wing with 3/4 of our players involved, for finally a cross to go in to our one man in the middle marked up by 4 and a keeper. it's been utter kn@ckers.

Where are you getting this idea from that CC was a hero of mine? Just more nonsense. I wanted shut of him yonks before we finally actually did.

If you offer me an apology now though and acknowledge you're just starting an argument so you can have a rant about whatever I might accept it (but probably won't).

• Haha 1

On 21/08/2019 at 14:41, cowl said:

Stinking their way to the play-off final; not a bad way to stink.

16 hours ago, cowl said:

You'd already acknowledged that contesting a play-off final would be considered having a better season than finishing mid-table - so what's your issue here exactly?

Certainly, I suspect the majority of Derby's fans would've enjoyed last season better than the fans of the teams that finished mid-table, even if along the way they had to 'endure' watching a team that may have 'arsed' about with it.

If the bottom line for you is whether we win stuff, I suggest you don't bother with Wednesday while April and I'll PM you to let you know whether it looks like we'll win something.

15 hours ago, cowl said:

12 hours ago, cowl said:

Where are you getting this idea from that CC was a hero of mine? Just more nonsense. I wanted shut of him yonks before we finally actually did.

If you offer me an apology now though and acknowledge you're just starting an argument so you can have a rant about whatever I might accept it (but probably won't).

firstly you state that IF derby stank their way to the play-off final, then that was not a 'bad way to stink'.

by your second post you're stating that making a play-off final, and NOT winning is some sort of 'result' for the monies spent, it's not, in football, as in life you can only spend it once, and when it's gone, it's gone.

you then go on to childishly say 'IF the bottom line...is whether we win stuff or not, REALLY? do you really stand by that?, ALL football clubs are run on the intent of 'winning something, be it promotion, survival, cups, it's a money game, were not back in the 1950's where sides were run like the boys brigade second Xl.

then you suggest (it seems) I should stop going IF 'my bottom line is winning something' well I can honestly answer YES I DO want to see sheffield wednesday win something, but I guess not as badly as dc does, as whilst it costs me £40 a chuck, he can see way more than that going down a drain. he being the only person I've seen willing to step up to the plate for sheffield wednesday and put his money where his mouth is.

in your 3rd. and 4th. parts you state 'I foist on you', yet you started by saying that by derby playing in a manner (that someone referred to as 'stinking') was not a bad way to stink. 

the stuff derby (and now a number of other sides causing themselves problems) are playing is the same game as carvalhal had us playing and it's lacking.

you proudly state you 'wanted shut of him YONKS before' so when DID you firstly decide he wasn't the man to take us to 'the promised land'? though I accept that 'the promised land' to you isn't promotion from success (ie. 'winning something' as you called it). 

you'll only get an apology from me if you deserve one, and you don't, I didn't cause your delusion.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, aussieowl87 said:

All comes down to a player's ability to make the right choice under pressure.

Knowing when to play, and when to get rid.

Aye. Players like Kieran Lee. 

We bang on about lack of technique in this country , yet i see lots of players with ability at many clubs.

It's football intelligences in players that makes the real difference. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Aye. Players like Kieran Lee. 

We bang on about lack of technique in this country , yet i see lots of players with ability at many clubs.

It's football intelligences in players that makes the real difference. 

'football intelligence' easily does what 'hard grafting' tows it's borrax of to achieve.

it's nice to have both.

Edited by dorian gray
j

On 21/08/2019 at 08:54, McRightSide said:

The rise of Pep in English football and the new goalkick law have only further increased the % of teams that are following a fashion of playing football from the back without necessarily having the capability and discipline to do it. Equally, they seem bereft of ideas on how to play a longer game

Already we’ve seen Luton and Reading gift us goals due to this and I’m sure that we can all painfully remember how many points it cost under Jos.

I’m very happy to see us strike a nice balance of football - long when necessary and short when possible - without taking unnecessary risks due to pre-determined tactical policy.

In this league, high percentage football at the back and smart, targeted pressing work is a good recipe for success. The second half yesterday was a perfect showcase of that. 

Please Bullen - or whoever ends up in charge - do not get sucked into fashionable football without capability.

It is the best way to play football and create scoring opportunities. But only if you’ve got the personnel to do it and they tend to be found at the elite level. 

Another reason I’m more scared of ditching Bullen and bringing in a random manager, it could really stall the progress we’ve made since January. 

3 hours ago, dorian gray said:

firstly you state that IF derby stank their way to the play-off final, then that was not a 'bad way to stink'.

by your second post you're stating that making a play-off final, and NOT winning is some sort of 'result' for the monies spent, it's not, in football, as in life you can only spend it once, and when it's gone, it's gone.

you then go on to childishly say 'IF the bottom line...is whether we win stuff or not, REALLY? do you really stand by that?, ALL football clubs are run on the intent of 'winning something, be it promotion, survival, cups, it's a money game, were not back in the 1950's where sides were run like the boys brigade second Xl.

then you suggest (it seems) I should stop going IF 'my bottom line is winning something' well I can honestly answer YES I DO want to see sheffield wednesday win something, but I guess not as badly as dc does, as whilst it costs me £40 a chuck, he can see way more than that going down a drain. he being the only person I've seen willing to step up to the plate for sheffield wednesday and put his money where his mouth is.

in your 3rd. and 4th. parts you state 'I foist on you', yet you started by saying that by derby playing in a manner (that someone referred to as 'stinking') was not a bad way to stink. 

the stuff derby (and now a number of other sides causing themselves problems) are playing is the same game as carvalhal had us playing and it's lacking.

you proudly state you 'wanted shut of him YONKS before' so when DID you firstly decide he wasn't the man to take us to 'the promised land'? though I accept that 'the promised land' to you isn't promotion from success (ie. 'winning something' as you called it). 

you'll only get an apology from me if you deserve one, and you don't, I didn't cause your delusion.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

What are you doing? Your anger's bizarre (but also quite funny).

I'm not wasting anymore time on this. I doubt we even disagree fundamentally on our view here, but you just seem determined to argue about it nevertheless.

I could reply in detail to your gibberish and at least make it seem as though it's a debate, but there's no debate here; it's just you inventing nonsense and supposing it's something I've written in order for you to take pot-shots at it. I'm passive in the whole thing, and it's just a boring waste of my time.