Overplaying

We have dabbled a couple of times and it’s needlessly put pressure on ourselves . For the life of me , I can’t understand why anybody would want to deploy it. It’s painful to watch , and puts your under unnecessary pressure . Westwood’s kicking is abysmal and Tom lees doesn’t like the ball at his feet too long . I hope  Bullen sticks to the fried and tested method of keeping the balance away from the box. Seems a no brained to me 

The problem isn’t the defence, it’s the midfield being sat on the toes of the defenders and always always passing back the way your facing which closes the game down and puts undue pressure on the defenders. The midfielders need to work harder to create options for defenders and play on the half turn creating a threat. If they look to break the lines the opposition midfield have to sit back and give the defenders space. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thommo said:

The problem isn’t the defence, it’s the midfield being sat on the toes of the defenders and always always passing back the way your facing which closes the game down and puts undue pressure on the defenders. The midfielders need to work harder to create options for defenders and play on the half turn creating a threat. If they look to break the lines the opposition midfield have to sit back and give the defenders space. 

This all day long. Name names. 

8 hours ago, thommo said:

what you're saying is true, BUT it needs adding to the stop defenders effing about on the ball rule.

10 hours ago, james o connor said:

We have dabbled a couple of times and it’s needlessly put pressure on ourselves . For the life of me , I can’t understand why anybody would want to deploy it. It’s painful to watch , and puts your under unnecessary pressure . Westwood’s kicking is abysmal and Tom lees doesn’t like the ball at his feet too long . I hope  Bullen sticks to the fried and tested method of keeping the balance away from the box. Seems a no brained to me 

'a couple of times'? it was standard fare under coco and jos.

no crossing the halfway line in under 15 passes.

On 21/08/2019 at 15:50, cowl said:

How else do teams get better at a way of playing than to actually set about playing that way?

Along the way they'll make mistakes.

You can't think to appraise a team's way of playing off the back of one game, and as I say, Derby's season went quite well considering they contested the play-off final.

they'll be better if they stoped arsing about with it.

so they won what we won when coco was running the show and we played 'tiptap' then, **** all?.

On 21/08/2019 at 18:45, LondonOwl313 said:

It clearly must work in some games.. Swansea finished just outside the play offs last season so obviously won a fair %. When they played at Hillsborough it was easy for us with all the faffing they were doing

this goes back to me to not understanding why sides didn't sus. us in coco's first season, the only thing I could think was numerous management teams weren't that smart.

now we've moved onto yet more sides doing it, it looks like they weren't that smart then, and are a lot less now, long may it reign.

On 21/08/2019 at 19:02, Owls2k said:

Philosophy is great if you have the tools, without them it's delusion.

If I was watching our two home games I'd be instructing my GK to play it out and when the press came hit it long to beat it. 

you mean as opposition manager, attempting to counter wednesday?

Did this thread happen in 1980?

I think some of you wanting just to simply hit a long ball into a CF are not really interested in football.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for that to happen but if that's all you have then give it up, if the CB bosses your CF then its game over and this shouldn't be happening in the Football League, leave that for poor grassroots teams, that approach needs zero skill or ability.

This all started with the England set up, we were awful and something needed to change, we had very good players but why were we so poor?

We weren't good enough in possession, because we weren't used to it, we had maybe 4/5 players who were ok, for the highest level every player needs to be comfortable on the ball, this is why we were so far behind the likes of Brazil, Spain, Germany, Portugal and so on.

Early on under Southgate we were boring, we kept the football but had very little threat or creativity, recently we have looked better because we now have players used to having the ball and we have added players who are pacey and direct but still very good with the ball.

Now, we aren't far off and all our younger age groups are doing well.

English league teams having a philosophy of being good in possession while also being positive is indirectly supporting the England national team.

We love football because its different every time, Man City are different to Liverpool but both successful, it's down to the coach and how he wants to play.

But getting frustrated and angry because a defender keeps possession is just uneducated and needs to remain in the 80's. Ive heard it at Hillsborough and it's embarrassing.

11 hours ago, james o connor said:

Maybe if your goalkeeper kicks like a blind man and or has the accuracy of Clarence the cross eyed lion then passing to a defender who's  better makes sense. 

Especially if it's a shortened long ball down field with better accuracy. 

If we played with a back three (which we don't) it would have been an option with hutch or jva in there, but Lees is a definate no no and I'm undecided on borner just yet. 

57 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

they'll be better if they stoped arsing about with it.

so they won what we won when coco was running the show and we played 'tiptap' then, **** all?.

You'd already acknowledged that contesting a play-off final would be considered having a better season than finishing mid-table - so what's your issue here exactly?

Certainly, I suspect the majority of Derby's fans would've enjoyed last season better than the fans of the teams that finished mid-table, even if along the way they had to 'endure' watching a team that may have 'arsed' about with it.

If the bottom line for you is whether we win stuff, I suggest you don't bother with Wednesday while April and I'll PM you to let you know whether it looks like we'll win something.

Just now, cowl said:

You'd already acknowledged that contesting a play-off final would be considered having a better season than finishing mid-table - so what's your issue here exactly?

Certainly, I suspect the majority of Derby's fans would've enjoyed last season better than the fans of the teams that finished mid-table, even if along the way they had to 'endure' watching a team that may have 'arsed' about with it.

If the bottom line for you is whether we win stuff, I suggest you don't bother with Wednesday while April and I'll PM you to let you know whether it looks like we'll win something.

as I've pointed out fortune spent, and **** all gained. 

3rd. and 13th. still in same division following year, but 'financial powder' burnt.

as to whether they 'enjoyed' winning nothing is very doubtful indeed.

if you'd followed wednesday for any time you'd know there are very few 'pothunters' in our support.

but of course the bottom line is winning something, and it is for dc too, as promotion brings financial rewards for his input.

you'll have no need to pm me next april as I will be not be taking your suggestion on board and attending as and when I wish.

IF the bottom line for you is taking all day to **** about with the ball in our half playing 'tiptap' whilst being rapidly shut down, it's YOU who may be better off not going, and i'll message you if your 'uncle coco' gets the job again.

• Haha 1

Guest LittleG
10 hours ago, thommo said:

Totally agree with this; the majority of time as soon as BB or Hutch receive the ball, they immediately look for the quick pass back to a defender, even when they have time to take a touch and have a look round