Overplaying

The rise of Pep in English football and the new goalkick law have only further increased the % of teams that are following a fashion of playing football from the back without necessarily having the capability and discipline to do it. Equally, they seem bereft of ideas on how to play a longer game

Already we’ve seen Luton and Reading gift us goals due to this and I’m sure that we can all painfully remember how many points it cost under Jos.

I’m very happy to see us strike a nice balance of football - long when necessary and short when possible - without taking unnecessary risks due to pre-determined tactical policy.

In this league, high percentage football at the back and smart, targeted pressing work is a good recipe for success. The second half yesterday was a perfect showcase of that. 

Please Bullen - or whoever ends up in charge - do not get sucked into fashionable football without capability.

Edited by McRightSide

Every team I've seen at this level who try to play out like that just put pressure on themselves and end up either giving away possession or hoofing it in panic anyway.

In our games alone, this season Reading, Barnsley and Luton. Last season Brentford, Swansea - and us!

Really don't know why teams persist with it when it's clearly not something they're comfortable with. Just the latest footballing fashion I suppose. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

The rise of Pep in English football and the new goalkick law have only further increased the % of teams that are following a fashion of playing football from the back without necessarily having the capability and discipline to do it. Equally, they seem bereft of ideas on how to play a longer game

Already we’ve seen Luton and Reading gift us goals due to this and I’m sure that we can all painfully remember how many points it cost under Jos.

I’m very happy to see us strike a nice balance of football - long when necessary and short when possible - without taking unnecessary risks due to pre-determined tactical policy.

In this league, high percentage football at the back and smart, targeted pressing work is a good recipe for success. The second half yesterday was a perfect showcase of that. 

Please Bullen - or whoever ends up in charge - do not get sucked into fashionable football without capability.

I understand what you are saying but I think the issue is not about the play from the back football, it is how you mix up your overall play.

Too often last night we became very predicable, we played it around the back 4 then gave it to Bannan who tried the long ball which he got right maybe 2 out of 10. 

When we got the ball down to the wings to run at the defence and had the full back over lapping we looked so much more dangerous, had we had a few more targets in the box than just Fletcher we could be scoring a lot more goals. We need to be playing two strikers if we are playing two wingers not many teams have an Aguero or Firmino flanked by world class wingers. 

Guest domSWFC
18 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I love it. Can't wait until teams do it with Fessi on the pitch. 

Keeper plays it short to his right back. Harris is on him in a flash, nicks it and plays it to Forestieri who slots it home neatly. The Ref runs over, sends him off and he's subsequently arrested and sent down for 3 years. 

Technical ability for players at clubs like Luton and Barnsley is miles better than it was 25 years ago.

But still think it suicidal playing it out of the back from inside your own area. Paul Sturrock would have called it tippy tappy football and fannying about with it.

Edited by matthefish2002

100% agree with the OP.

Let other teams try to be Man City....and fail.

Let's keep our play varied and unpredictable. Luckily we have Fletcher who is ideal as a target man. Not many clubs go for a big man up top anymore.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Every team I've seen at this level who try to play out like that just put pressure on themselves and end up either giving away possession or hoofing it in panic anyway.

In our games alone, this season Reading, Barnsley and Luton. Last season Brentford, Swansea - and us!

Really don't know why teams persist with it when it's clearly not something they're comfortable with. Just the latest footballing fashion I suppose. 

'emperor's new clothes'

you're either 'in, or out of fashion'.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I understand what you are saying but I think the issue is not about the play from the back football, it is how you mix up your overall play.

Too often last night we became very predicable, we played it around the back 4 then gave it to Bannan who tried the long ball which he got right maybe 2 out of 10. 

When we got the ball down to the wings to run at the defence and had the full back over lapping we looked so much more dangerous, had we had a few more targets in the box than just Fletcher we could be scoring a lot more goals. We need to be playing two strikers if we are playing two wingers not many teams have an Aguero or Firmino flanked by world class wingers. 

Given your reply is about something different, I'm not sure you do know what I'm saying.

I'm merely commenting on the fixation with passing around the backline in dangerous situations.

39 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Think Westwood's 'clearance' last night sums this issue up.

Under massive pressure and dribbling near the corner of the area. Anyone in their right mind would hoof it into row z of the South. But even then there was the instinct to try and keep the ball in play. So nearly cost us.

Nothing to do with playing out though, just a P Poor first touch.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Think Westwood's 'clearance' last night sums this issue up.

Under massive pressure and dribbling near the corner of the area. Anyone in their right mind would hoof it into row z of the South. But even then there was the instinct to try and keep the ball in play. So nearly cost us.

That was nothing to do with playing football at the back. It was an average back pass, a lousy first touch and then desperately trying to boot the ball as far up the pitch as possible without the right body shape and balance.

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

That was nothing to do with playing football at the back. It was an average back pass, a lousy first touch and then desperately trying to boot the ball as far up the pitch as possible without the right body shape and balance.

So what's this new "goal kick" rule McRS, ??