Fletcher’s importance

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

Jesus why do you get obsessive about having to state that certain players have to be in the starting line up.

Its not unanimous, it your insecure opinion, that you need to validate on here.

Fletcher is doing ok, but he s 32, but his body looks older. He's got his positives, but also his negatives, like he a yard to slow to get on the end of some decent crosses. 

Won't start every game. Few players will.

Bit abrupt that reply old chap!

• Haha 1

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, Dan™ said:

He had a fantastic opportunity to score last night but didnt. Which was good, as he decided to put it on a plate for Harris to score instead.

If he does that every game I'll be happy even if he doesn't get another goal himself all season!

But he won't, and he's a striker - so needs to score. Great assist lastnight, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking 1 in 4 will suffice if we want to contend, not when he's the only striker on the pitch. If we're still in the mix, we'll need to do something in January to ease the burden on Fletcher. 

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We have lost our best two headers of a ball in defensive situations, Hector and Joao, but yes Fletcher plays a leading role in defending set plays. The improvisation that you mention, seems to be, us getting one of the wide players next to Fletcher, when the ball is on the opposite flank. It’s what you have to do when playing 4-3-3. We are doing that quite successfully at the moment, but it is unlikely to make us prolific, as neither Harris or Murphy are what you’d call, natural finishers. Maybe we don’t need to be prolific, if we can keep things tight at the other end

It was if Fletcher not available for whatever reason. 

The co-ordination / understanding between front three needs working on. I hope Murphy and Harris do get a few goals each or we will struggle.

7 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

Fletcher always plays well with someone next to him , Hooper,Joao,Forestieri all did well and he scored a few while partnering them.

You are right, all the strikers would benefit from playing as a partnership. Either that or one of your midfield three has to get up there and support the striker. FF could play that role also, behind a striker.

Fletch is clearly the best in the 433 role, but we should mix it up every now and again. While we have options we should keep them in and around the team. 

Is Fletcher going to get a rest in the international break though?

Is Fletch vital because of the way we play?  Obviously I’m happy because we won but too often yesterday (and at times in the other matches) we have not moved the ball fast enough through the midfield to find the gaps, so we end up having to hit a hit a long one to Fletch, which makes him vital because he holds the ball up or brings others into play so well.  I’d rather see us work the ball to Harris and Murphy faster (which is where most of our goals will come from imo) so we don’t rely so much on Fletch. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think OT is for once unanimous (?) that Fletcher starts every game he can. Clearly Bruce thought so, and so does Bully. 

Great to see him so fit and healthy. He has played 82,77,90 and 85 minutes, and run around, pressed and battled looking more like a 22 year old than a 32 year old. 

If we can get Fletcher through Preston and then QPR he gets a two week break during the internationals. That would be a great Stage One of the season put to bed. 

Touch wood.

Question to you - If he has to sit a game out, who should come into the 433?

Rhodes - does he do enough to lead the line?

Or Nuhiu - can definitely lead the line and does harry. Good enough?

Or Winnall - I thought giving him even 5 minutes as lone-striker was an odd call. Not for me.

Or Forestieri - never as lone-striker

Or, is Fletcher the only one who fits the role in 433, so no Fletcher = 442?

My opinion is that 433 is working, so stick with it. The obvious two to try are Rhodes and Nuhiu. In that order.

Fletcher is so important to us,if he get's injured we are in trouble,people say Nuhui can play in his position,never,quality difference is un measurable,Nuhui waddles about and does nothing,we need cover for fletcher,should have bought Smith from QPR before Millwall paid 400,000 great business

21 minutes ago, Sweet Shezza said:

I’m 46 and can run for 90 mins. I like strikers who score goals.

I think the new new signings have made all the difference to our team. 

Would the new look team score more goals with Rhodes up top? Time and the stats will tell. 

He scores goals and it may have escaped you but he makes winners like last night as well

2 hours ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Would the new look team score more goals with Rhodes up top? Time and the stats will tell. 

Sweet, I'll let DC know that we dont need to spend money on players because a 46 year old fan can run about just as well.

FFS

2 hours ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Maybe, yes, but we would lose more games than we’d win. Rhodes is, or was, a prolific scorer of consolation goals

52 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, yes, but we would lose more games than we’d win. Rhodes is, or was, a prolific scorer of consolation goals

52 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

24 goals and five assists in three seasons for Fletch.  Rhodes has scored fewer but played a lot less games. His ratio is better. 

Do you think an average of eight goals and 2 assists per season is a good return for a striker? 

7 minutes ago, Sweet Shezza said:

24 goals and five assists in three seasons for Fletch.  Rhodes has scored fewer but played a lot less games. His ratio is better. 

Do you think an average of eight goals and 2 assists per season is a good return for a striker? 

No, and I’m aware of Fletcher’s limitations, but he offers the best all round package for the system we play Would I have preferred we sign better? Sure, but we didn’t, we signed Winnall and Rhodes

Edited by gurujuan