Fletcher’s importance

I think OT is for once unanimous (?) that Fletcher starts every game he can. Clearly Bruce thought so, and so does Bully. 

Great to see him so fit and healthy. He has played 82,77,90 and 85 minutes, and run around, pressed and battled looking more like a 22 year old than a 32 year old. 

If we can get Fletcher through Preston and then QPR he gets a two week break during the internationals. That would be a great Stage One of the season put to bed. 

Touch wood.

Question to you - If he has to sit a game out, who should come into the 433?

Rhodes - does he do enough to lead the line?

Or Nuhiu - can definitely lead the line and does harry. Good enough?

Or Winnall - I thought giving him even 5 minutes as lone-striker was an odd call. Not for me.

Or Forestieri - never as lone-striker

Or, is Fletcher the only one who fits the role in 433, so no Fletcher = 442?

My opinion is that 433 is working, so stick with it. The obvious two to try are Rhodes and Nuhiu. In that order.

Edited by Holmowl

Tricky question.  Thought it might be worth seeing Winnall play the middle role. Did it for the Dingles.  But imo didn't look anywhere like in tonight's cameo...

Rhodes... All his best career spells have come in on a partnership...

Basically I think I'm just going to pray Fletch stays fit and healthy. 

Though I'd have liked to have seen Forestieri on tonight when the game opened up and Luton looked stretched in that last 15. 

• Like 1

good player fletch and if we are going to be around the play offs come may he needs to stay fit . …..we can cover just about any position but we don't have anyone who can replace what fletch brings to the team . Rhodes , winnall, nuhiu don't come close .

We're best when we do the high press, Fletcher is the only one that can do this and win headers. Winall isn't strong enough but is a worker, Dave is strong enough but not quick enough for the press, Rhodes doesn't offer enough, FF never going to happen.

For me it's Fletcher is fit, we go 433. If he's not then 442.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Tricky question.  Thought it might be worth seeing Winnall play the middle role. Did it for the Dingles.  But imo didn't look anywhere like in tonight's cameo...

Rhodes... All his best career spells have come in on a partnership...

Basically I think I'm just going to pray Fletch stays fit and healthy. 

Though I'd have liked to have seen Forestieri on tonight when the game opened up and Luton looked stretched in that last 15. 

Nuhiu is the only one who can do it but the results will not be as good.

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think OT is for once unanimous (?) that Fletcher starts every game he can. Clearly Bruce thought so, and so does Bully. 

Great to see him so fit and healthy. He has played 82,77,90 and 85 minutes, and run around, pressed and battled looking more like a 22 year old than a 32 year old. 

If we can get Fletcher through Preston and then QPR he gets a two week break during the internationals. That would be a great Stage One of the season put to bed. 

Touch wood.

Question to you - If he has to sit a game out, who should come into the 433?

Rhodes - does he do enough to lead the line?

Or Nuhiu - can definitely lead the line and does harry. Good enough?

Or Winnall - I thought giving him even 5 minutes as lone-striker was an odd call. Not for me.

Or Forestieri - never as lone-striker

Or, is Fletcher the only one who fits the role in 433, so no Fletcher = 442?

My opinion is that 433 is working, so stick with it. The obvious two to try are Rhodes and Nuhiu. In that order.

Jesus why do you get obsessive about having to state that certain players have to be in the starting line up.

Its not unanimous, it your insecure opinion, that you need to validate on here.

Fletcher is doing ok, but he s 32, but his body looks older. He's got his positives, but also his negatives, like he a yard to slow to get on the end of some decent crosses. 

Won't start every game. Few players will.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

Jesus why do you get obsessive about having to state that certain players have to be in the starting line up.

Its not unanimous, it your insecure opinion, that you need to validate on here.

Fletcher is doing ok, but he s 32, but his body looks older. He's got his positives, but also his negatives, like he a yard to slow to get on the end of some decent crosses. 

Won't start every game. Few players will.

I thought this site was all about people giving their opinions, whether you agree or not. After all you've just given yours.

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Shirt is his. The question is whether he will score enough. 

He had a fantastic opportunity to score last night but didnt. Which was good, as he decided to put it on a plate for Harris to score instead.

If he does that every game I'll be happy even if he doesn't get another goal himself all season!

Well I’m a late convert. In fact, my worries were mainly centred around, whether there would be enough goals in the team, with him operating as a lone striker. That remains a concern, and his record over the years, suggests that he will struggle to get much beyond a dozen goals. To be fair, I was never convinced that, with the addition of two quick wingers, we’d see an avalanche of goals from Fletcher, as he simply isn’t that clinical on a regular basis. What it has done though, and credit Bullen for identifying this, if one of those wide players can get close to Fletcher, he will create opportunities by his presence alone. 

In addition to leading line Fletcher is extremely important re defensive headers at set pieces. We have lost majority of set piece headers this season and Fletcher is one who helps out.

Winnall and Rhodes in brief first team appearances have not looked up to the job of leading line on their own. In certain games Nuhiu may do a job where his size and awkwardness would be of benefit (thought Millwall game would have suited him) but they are few. Forestieri is not a lead the line sort of player. 

For a team with an abundance of forwards their is not a lot of options if we play 4-3-3 system. I actually think if we did not have Fletcher available if you went for 4-4-2 it would be much better as non of them seem a natural pair and from what I have seen of two of them they were not in good nick. The lack of interest in Rhodes and Winnall when were clearly trying to offload them indicates they are on far higher wages than they should be for their talent and possible best days are behind them.

This leaves doing an improvisation could Murphy play down middle (I do not know|). Could Damba or Borukov do a job for a game? Borukov has looked good in games for u/23s so far this season. I know bid difference but judging on what options are we may have to take a gamble with a young player. Otherwise I would say its a priority in January transfer window (probably a loan).

7 minutes ago, Quist said:

In addition to leading line Fletcher is extremely important re defensive headers at set pieces. We have lost majority of set piece headers this season and Fletcher is one who helps out.

Winnall and Rhodes in brief first team appearances have not looked up to the job of leading line on their own. In certain games Nuhiu may do a job where his size and awkwardness would be of benefit (thought Millwall game would have suited him) but they are few. Forestieri is not a lead the line sort of player. 

For a team with an abundance of forwards their is not a lot of options if we play 4-3-3 system. I actually think if we did not have Fletcher available if you went for 4-4-2 it would be much better as non of them seem a natural pair and from what I have seen of two of them they were not in good nick. The lack of interest in Rhodes and Winnall when were clearly trying to offload them indicates they are on far higher wages than they should be for their talent and possible best days are behind them.

This leaves doing an improvisation could Murphy play down middle (I do not know|). Could Damba or Borukov do a job for a game? Borukov has looked good in games for u/23s so far this season. I know bid difference but judging on what options are we may have to take a gamble with a young player. Otherwise I would say its a priority in January transfer window (probably a loan).

We have lost our best two headers of a ball in defensive situations, Hector and Joao, but yes Fletcher plays a leading role in defending set plays. The improvisation that you mention, seems to be, us getting one of the wide players next to Fletcher, when the ball is on the opposite flank. It’s what you have to do when playing 4-3-3. We are doing that quite successfully at the moment, but it is unlikely to make us prolific, as neither Harris or Murphy are what you’d call, natural finishers. Maybe we don’t need to be prolific, if we can keep things tight at the other end