My take

We're bedding in new players and a totally new way of playing.  Won 3 out of 4 and sit top of the league.  I'm not sure what people want if that's not good enough given the circumstances.  We will only get better as the system gels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Part of the reason for that in the first half was because everyone else was so static. Nobody was moving into space so Bannan had to go back. Then he’d be the only one showing for the ball so he’d get it back again... and repeat. I’m concerned as to why this was. Lethargic midweek game maybe. If it’s coaching then there’s no excuse.

If Lee is playing then he is absolutely always showing for the ball wherever it is on the pitch.

That and that Bazzer is always looking for the killer ball and in so doing overlooks a simple pass that can open space for others. I lost count of the number of times he tried a long ball out right for Murphy, only for the defender to easily deal with it. In these circumstances you may just as well give the opposition the ball back because it's so predictable. It was telling that last night's goal came from a goal keeping misjudgement combined with good old fashioned pressing and not a worldie pass.

12 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Not being controversial here, but.....

We had that midfield pairing for the first 2 seasons. Perhaps at the club we now have a better formation?

We have a formation that suits, it used to be hutch and Lee with bannan on the left. 

It suits all three of them far better like this and is infuriating its taken so long to realise /bring a couple of quick wingers in. 

Hutch 

Lee.           Bannan 

Harris                                         Murphy. 

4-4-2 is dead. 

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

We're bedding in new players and a totally new way of playing.  Won 3 out of 4 and sit top of the league.  I'm not sure what people want if that's not good enough given the circumstances.  We will only get better as the system gels.

Manager fucksoff 3 weeks before the start of the season, 5 new players, all involved in a new set up and 3 out of 4 won.

Some of our supporters are total fuckwits.

13 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Manager fucksoff 3 weeks before the start of the season, 5 new players, all involved in a new set up and 3 out of 4 won.

Some of our supporters are total fuckwits.

And even in the one we didn’t win, we played them off the park No mean feat, at a ground where the hosts normally put you under siege 

4 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I met him the day after the Barnsley game in John Lewis in Leeds. He was looking at plates. “Well played yesterday” I said tentatively. After a slight, awkward pause he said “Thanks very much” - with more of a glare than a smile - and then went on his crockery purchasing way. 

Shopping in Leeds is enough to lose the captaincy imo. 

12 hours ago, SiJ said:

I'd also suggest swapping Murphy and Harris a bit more. From what Bullen has said, he's trying to play them as more traditional wingers. Just seems to me we might cause teams some problems by having them switching. No fullback wants to have a speedy winger cutting on the inside. From what I've seen, Harris will have most fullbacks on toast. 

Agree with that SiJ.

Its fantastic having Harris as out 'outball' - similar to how JJ was used when we were defending corners - and nearly paid off last night on one or two occasions.

But getting Harris mixing it up being central so he can also run at clumsy lumbering CBs rather than almost as fast opposition wing backs could also be successful?

14 hours ago, vulva said:

Poor first half, old manned them second. 

Fox’s performance summed up the team, as above. 

We’ve played some poor teams, and done OK. We will know how good this team is once we’ve played Fulham, Derby et al. I don’t think we are good enough, but with some luck and a good January window, we might be close. 

Why did we bring Winnall and not Louongo on?

We miss Lee. When Bannan gets the ball the game stops and players stop moving. When Lee gets it, the game flows and players find space. 

Both wide lads did well, especially Harris. Murphy needs to use his power more. 

Upfront worries me. This system relies very heavily on Fletcher as a bartering ram. He will get injured. We have no one in the squad anything like. 

Make Borner captain. It will make both him and Lees better players. Borner lacks pace, and 2 inches of height for a centre half but i’ve a sneaky feeling he will turn into a cult hero. 

Freaks me out we decided not to take 2m for Rhodes and save the 2.5m in wages.  Sold Joao instead. 

Think about how slow and weak Winnall was, or alternative options in Rhodes and Nuhiu, vs being able to bring Joao on to stretch and alter games. 

We wouldn't have lost to Millwall had we brought Joao on. He was inconsistent but had the x factor. 

Rhodes, Winnall and Nuhiu it's the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ factor 

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Zzz

We need one of Lee or Luongo on the pitch to carry the ball centrally and break opposition lines.

Hutch seems to have calmed down his psychotic tendencies and is even better as a result. 

Murphy is one for the bench, can do great things but drifts in and out too much at the mo. 

I'd like to see FF in the front 3 with Fletch & Harris. 

Börner is going to be a huge cult hero at SWFC. 

Would like to see:

Nando - Fletcher - Harris

Bannan - Luongo - Lee

Palmer - Borner - Lees - Odubajo
Westwood

We've always known Nando is best coming in off the left, and now we're playing the formation that lets him do that.

Harris is undroppable with the form he's in, and being on the right will let him cut it back rather than coming inside and shooting which seem to not be his strength.
The midfield 3 of Lee, Bannan and Luongo looks great to me. No out and out enforcer like with Hutch, but all 3 can do the defensive side and the offensive side, so it'd be really dynamic and fluid and very hard for opposition midfields to deal with.

Plus, Murphy coming fresh off the bench has got to be scary for any tired fullback in the last 20.

15 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

For me we don't pass the ball at speed and get it into the final 3rd quickly enough! We also don't  keep the ball well enough in the final third.

There were a few occasions tonight where we'd break their press someone would take the ball on and run at them but know one else would be within 15 yards and we end up coming back.

We only completed 56 passes in the final third tonight, need to up that number!

we don't need 'more passes' (that's cocoesque football) we need more TELLING passes, we need passes that damage the opposition, we need passes that favour our strikers, we need passes that cause concern in their defensive cover.

just about anybody with a pair o' boots can pass, potter could, jonk could too, give me a guy who can make defence splitting passes, he's worth more than 20 of the other type.

5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Would like to see:

Bannan - Luongo - Lee

Westwood

We've always known Nando is best coming in off the left, and now we're playing the formation that lets him do that.

Harris is undroppable with the form he's in, and being on the right will let him cut it back rather than coming inside and shooting which seem to not be his strength.
The midfield 3 of Lee, Bannan and Luongo looks great to me. No out and out enforcer like with Hutch, but all 3 can do the defensive side and the offensive side, so it'd be really dynamic and fluid and very hard for opposition midfields to deal with.

Plus, Murphy coming fresh off the bench has got to be scary for any tired fullback in the last 20.

Looks good, cant see luongo in front of hutch at present but perfect if hutch gets injured which is probably a cert, we need to see Nando in a full game to see what shape/mood hes in , surely that will be against Rotherham, its great that we now have so many options and quality in depth.

14 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Would like to see:

Bannan - Luongo - Lee

Westwood

I had wondered later on in games if pushing harris with his supporting speed closer to fletcher and leaving the flank open for ff, whilst giving the pair the opportunity of swapping when they felt it was needed.

7 minutes ago, debram said:

Looks good, cant see luongo in front of hutch at present but perfect if hutch gets injured which is probably a cert, we need to see Nando in a full game to see what shape/mood hes in , surely that will be against Rotherham, its great that we now have so many options and quality in depth.

We do almost have 2 good players for every position, which is sort of the dream, right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cookeh said:

We do almost have 2 good players for every position, which is sort of the dream, right.

Its a recipe for promotion, given the right manager, not discounting Bully but sat on the fence at present.

3 minutes ago, debram said:

Its a recipe for promotion, given the right manager, not discounting Bully but sat on the fence at present.

I feel like September will be the decider for Bully, assuming we don't appoint someone before then.

Huddersfield, Fulham, Boro.. that's a proper testing run of games.