Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

My take from the first few games is that our midfield is 100% more productive, quicker, inventive and more dangerous when kieron Lee plays.....oh and we don't totally rely on Bannon who teams will target so are more unpredictable

 

Without him how many second balls did we win, especially in the first half?

Yes I agree, and a midfield of Lee, Hutchinson and Bannan, is well balanced, if slightly defensive. The point about the second balls, is that winning second balls, or even the first ones, is not Reach’s forte. If for whatever reason, we have to leave out one of the midfield three, Luongo is the obvious replacement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My issue with Fletcher is that he needs about 10 chances to score.

 

Can't fault his effort and hold up play, but he just doesn't hit the target or the back of the net enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Beholder said:

Lee and Bannan must play.

 

Not Lee or Bannan.

 

 

 

 

Lee needs to be used sparingly.

 

He's had a career threatening injury, and to play him week in week out would be risky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, markowl said:

Lee needs to be used sparingly.

 

He's had a career threatening injury, and to play him week in week out would be risky.

Though in Luongo, we seem to have the ideal stand in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

 

Not being controversial here, but.....

 

We had that midfield pairing for the first 2 seasons. Perhaps at the club we now have a better formation?

It's not an easy one for sure but those were two excellent seasons over the core 46 matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

My issue with Fletcher is that he needs about 10 chances to score.

 

Can't fault his effort and hold up play, but he just doesn't hit the target or the back of the net enough for me.

Fletcher has never been prolific during his career and he won’t start mid 30’s. Great target man, best we’ve had since Mark Bright it possibly Deon Burton at doing that job. 

 

What needs to happen is either/both Harris and Murphy playing closer to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

 

Exactly. Opponents simply close him down and we go backwards. We were so good attacking wise against Barnsley without Bazza. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that BB has turned into a bad footballer but he needs to evolve somewhat.

 

Part of the reason for that in the first half was because everyone else was so static. Nobody was moving into space so Bannan had to go back. Then he’d be the only one showing for the ball so he’d get it back again... and repeat. I’m concerned as to why this was. Lethargic midweek game maybe. If it’s coaching then there’s no excuse.

 

If Lee is playing then he is absolutely always showing for the ball wherever it is on the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Fletcher has never been prolific during his career and he won’t start mid 30’s. Great target man, best we’ve had since Mark Bright it possibly Deon Burton at doing that job. 

 

What needs to happen is either/both Harris and Murphy playing closer to him. 

Exactly, though of course, neither of those are prolific either. Keep it tight at the back though, and we should be OK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

 

Part of the reason for that in the first half was because everyone else was so static. Nobody was moving into space so Bannan had to go back. Then he’d be the only one showing for the ball so he’d get it back again... and repeat. I’m concerned as to why this was. Lethargic midweek game maybe. If it’s coaching then there’s no excuse.

 

If Lee is playing then he is absolutely always showing for the ball wherever it is on the pitch.

I thought we were noticeably static, with nobody showing for the ball, or making the runs to give the player options. Lethargic sums up that first half, but I can’t see any coach sanctioning playing that way. Sometimes that happens though, but we were lucky, that on this occasion, no real damage was done. That will not always be the case though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gurujuan said:

I thought we were noticeably static, with nobody showing for the ball, or making the runs to give the player options. Lethargic sums up that first half, but I can’t see any coach sanctioning playing that way. Sometimes that happens though, but we were lucky, that on this occasion, no real damage was done. That will not always be the case though

 

I wasn’t clear. Didn’t mean the coach sanctioning it. I meant them not doing what the coach wishes (which would definitely not be just standing still).

 

That’s just speculation now though and you’re right, sometimes that happens and particularly on a midweek. Something to keep an eye on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vulva said:

Fletcher has never been prolific during his career and he won’t start mid 30’s. Great target man, best we’ve had since Mark Bright it possibly Deon Burton at doing that job. 

 

What needs to happen is either/both Harris and Murphy playing closer to him

 

That is what i said last night.

 

The width they provide is all well and good but one needs to push in when its on the opposite side, too often he is on his own.

 

The system is new(ish) to the team so a few things to iron out, but no fault on work rate and sheer effort from anyone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sonny said:

 

I wasn’t clear. Didn’t mean the coach sanctioning it. I meant them not doing what the coach wishes (which would definitely not be just standing still).

 

That’s just speculation now though and you’re right, sometimes that happens and particularly on a midweek. Something to keep an eye on.

Maybe they just rely on Bannon to produce a worldie ball too often and should provide more movement and options. Probably a legacy of the previous management, it may change in time, bit was very obvious last night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who has heard Redknapp on sky sports banging on about how good James Maddison is because he can receive the ball on the half turn. 

 

Lee does this and when he is not there we miss him. Everything with him is looking to play the ball forward and then make a run of it. It's what Reach should be doing but he just seems to vanish for some reason whenever he plays in the middle. 

 

And as much as I like Bannan we dont half slow down the tempo of the game when he plays deep. The first half we just didn't have any movement whatever in the midfield, they were all static with the ball and a yard off the pace without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, torres said:

 

That is what i said last night.

 

The width they provide is all well and good but one needs to push in when its on the opposite side, too often he is on his own.

 

The system is new(ish) to the team so a few things to iron out, but no fault on work rate and sheer effort from anyone 

I think that tactic is working well, and it’s long been an issue of mine, regarding Reach. The guy has the extra height, and decent finishing skills, and he could get a lot more goals if he were to attack the far best when the ball is on the other flank. Harris, who is not renowned for is finishing, is doing just that, and is getting his rewards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points by the OP. We were a yard slow first half. The space they had in the middle was scary. Murphy & Odubajo not on same wavelength yet.

Second half, the high press killed them. Another team trying to play it out from their own box, who simply weren't good enough to; see Barnsley.

Biggest concerns have to be a lone striker, at home, to accomodate both wingers. If Fletch wins a header, who's nearby to collect it? How long will his fitness last in that system?

Reach is very hit & miss. Got to give FF a run in his place, behind Fletch.

Thankfully we won & rested Palmer, Lee, Iorfa etc. Good options for Preston.

Bully was determined to keep the 1-0. The subs told us that. Who wouldn't take top of league after 4 though? Better than wallowing in shyte during the Jos period.

And a special mention & thanks to Luton for taking their most dangerous player off.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I think that tactic is working well, and it’s long been an issue of mine, regarding Reach. The guy has the extra height, and decent finishing skills, and he could get a lot more goals if he were to attack the far best when the ball is on the other flank. Harris, who is not renowned for is finishing, is doing just that, and is getting his rewards

 

Harris is an absolute Pitbull so far he looks a real powerhouse, Reach despite his build is lets say less physical  . . .if he had an ounce of aggression his all round game would improve 10 fold 

 

Even Murphy who most be 2 stone wet through was pressing with intent and it was due to him that we got the goal, both in his press and the cross.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FF doesn’t fit the higher intensity style that Bullen is trying to play. In this system he can’t replace Fletcher, Harris or Murphy, so I fail to see where he fits in. 

 

When Winnall gets brought on before you, after all his time out and looking seriously out of match fitness, it’s time to get your agent on the phone. 

 

Can see FF heading to somewhere like Serie B - wages will be a huge issue though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we have Harris and Murphy pulling teams defenders wider I agree we need someone moving up from midfield. Lee is the ideal candidate if he can stay fit. Fletcher can’t be on his own. Luongo has played in the advanced midfield roll before, maybe give him a try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Contrast the acquisitions of Borner and Harris for fizz all with fact we have Rhodes and Fessi on the bench being paid £50k a week between them. We need more outgoings to make the squad more sustainable. 

50k a week between them? do you think Rhodes is playing for 25k? hahahahahaha

 

Closer to 80k a week between them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...