My take

Poor first half, old manned them second. 

Fox’s performance summed up the team, as above. 

We’ve played some poor teams, and done OK. We will know how good this team is once we’ve played Fulham, Derby et al. I don’t think we are good enough, but with some luck and a good January window, we might be close. 

Why did we bring Winnall and not Louongo on?

We miss Lee. When Bannan gets the ball the game stops and players stop moving. When Lee gets it, the game flows and players find space. 

Both wide lads did well, especially Harris. Murphy needs to use his power more. 

Upfront worries me. This system relies very heavily on Fletcher as a bartering ram. He will get injured. We have no one in the squad anything like. 

Make Borner captain. It will make both him and Lees better players. Borner lacks pace, and 2 inches of height for a centre half but i’ve a sneaky feeling he will turn into a cult hero. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

We’ve played some poor teams, and done OK. We will know how good this team is once we’ve played Fulham, Derby et al. I don’t think we are good enough, but with some luck and a good January window, we might be close. 

We miss Lee. When Bannan gets the ball the game stops and players stop moving. When Lee gets it, the game flows and players find space. 

Upfront worries me. This system relies very heavily on Fletcher as a bartering ram. He will get injured. We have no one in the squad anything like. 

Make Borner captain. It will make both him and Lees better players. Borner lacks pace, and 2 inches of height for a centre half but i’ve a sneaky feeling he will turn into a cult hero. 

Totally agree regarding Lee and Bannan

Borner lacks pace, and 2 inches of height for a centre half but i’ve a sneaky feeling he will turn into a cult hero. 

Hes an inch taller than Lees?

But I agree we look to be lacking height. Bates is 6’4 

Guest wilyfox

I echo that concern. Bullen is rotating through his striking options hoping one will step up and contribute. First Rhodes, now Winnall. After Fletcher, we're keeping fingers crossed that someone will show. Defo the position that needs upgrading if we're still in the mix come January. 

Just now, Essix Blue said:

Hes an inch taller than Lees?

But I agree we look to be lacking height. Bates is 6’4 

Fair enough. I like the lad, and it looks a great bit of scouting. Just wonder if he’d be better in a 3. 

For me we don't pass the ball at speed and get it into the final 3rd quickly enough! We also don't  keep the ball well enough in the final third.

There were a few occasions tonight where we'd break their press someone would take the ball on and run at them but know one else would be within 15 yards and we end up coming back.

We only completed 56 passes in the final third tonight, need to up that number!

1 minute ago, Essix Blue said:

Not being controversial here, but.....

We had that midfield pairing for the first 2 seasons. Perhaps at the club we now have a better formation?

Well I think Bannan is too good not to play...and we missed first half against Millwall.

And today, we missed Lee.

The answer? Play both

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Contrast the acquisitions of Borner and Harris for fizz all with fact we have Rhodes and Fessi on the bench being paid £50k a week between them. We need more outgoings to make the squad more sustainable. 

image.jpg

13 minutes ago, vulva said:

Agree with a lot of that. Not so sure about the poor sides we have faced point though. Ask Fulham how bad Barnsley are or Cardiff how poor Reading are. They not be among the best sides in the division but if you don't turn up and respect your opponent in this division anyone can beat you.

6 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

For me we don't pass the ball at speed and get it into the final 3rd quickly enough! We also don't  keep the ball well enough in the final third.

There were a few occasions tonight where we'd break their press someone would take the ball on and run at them but know one else would be within 15 yards and we end up coming back.

We only completed 56 passes in the final third tonight, need to up that number!

The first point is the key. We showed this early in the second period. When we increase the speed and crispness of our passing, we look a much better team.

Edited by Pieman

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

Fair enough. I like the lad, and it looks a great bit of scouting. Just wonder if he’d be better in a 3. 

We've conceded 2 goals in 4 matches with the current formation, that'll do for me. 

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Harris Fletch Reach

Bannan Luongo Lee

Palmer Borner Lees Odubajo

Weswood.

Give Hutch and Murphy a rest

That's not a bad shout, but it's a tough call to leave out Hutchinson who has had an excellent start to the season, though i understand the logic that both Lee and Hutchinson need to be managed regarding fitness.

22 minutes ago, Pieman said:

The first point is the key. We showed this early in the second period. When we increase the speed and crispness of our passing, we look a much better team.

Agree but I think part of the problem is that Hutch and Bannan are sat on Lees and Borners knees. This leaves a huge gap in the middle and no support to Fletcher. Then we go for big diagonal balls but have noone in the middle to pick up on the ball and support if we get anywhere. 

I know the centre back pairing are both old school defenders (and very blumin good at it I might add) but I think our midfielders need to trust their footballing ability a little more and let them start off the passing move and help move the team 30/40 yards up the pitch.