Flattering To Deceive

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I wouldn’t so much say arrogance more confidence. When you look at the players we have in our team and compare them to the likes of Luton etc yes I think we should be beating them. Yes it doesn’t always work out that way but I think expecting a win at home to Luton is fair enough.  

Only time I ever saw us beat them at home was back in about '87. The other three or four we either lost or drew.

Don't know why but Luton at home has never been an easy ride for us.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Top of the League and won 3/4 but it’s not pretty. 

If we play like that against the top teams in the division we will struggle.

that could easily have been a draw without the keeper howler. 

I still think we need to appoint a manager that isn’t Bullen, he’s done a great job a brilliant job but nows the time.

Not as deceiving as your hot tips!

We deserved to win. This is as usual a tight division and most teams can beat each other. I have seen us slip up plenty of times in recent years against the likes of MK Dons, Rotherham, Bolton etc. 

2 home wins from 2 with 2 clean sheets leads you to start this negative thread within an hour of the game. 

Cheer up.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

That’s right, we started to beat sides like that under Bruce, and it looks as if Bullen has picked up the mantle

Scraped a draw against relegated Rotherham and failed to score against a woeful Reading defence under Bruce.

I don’t get all this “it’s not pretty “. 

Some people have short memories. The football so far this season has been a damn sight more exciting than Carlos’s last season and the whole of Jos’s reign. 

And we we are winning. Not a lot to complain about so far. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

You should quit lumping your money away for attention and go out to a party or something and try and lose your virginity instead :ph34r:

:ghoulguy::image:lol

Errrmmm that happened about 15 years ago but thanks for caring pal 

3 hours ago, ... said:

If we play like that against the top teams in the division we will struggle.

Ah that old chestnut, football doesn't work like that.

The 'top teams' in this division will likely be more open games that will suit us better. Teams like Luton will make it difficult for a lot of sides, in my opinion they'll survive and probably be mid table. I agree tonight wasn't the best performance ever but over the last 2/3 years we haven't won those kind of games. It's all very well winning at Villa's and Newcastle's but if you can't beat your Burton's or your Rotherham's (I appreciate none of them are in the division at the moment but you get the point) then you wont get to where you need to be. Games like tonight are the difference between top 10 and top 6.

10 hours ago, Beholder said:

Oh come on.

Wins breed confidence.

As long as we are winning the rest will follow.

no need for an inquest when we are top of the league ffs

In first half team looked to have no confidence. Westwood looked short on confidence which surprised me. Hopefully win and clean sheet will have done them good.

10 hours ago, kikka said:

We've made a good start - you can only beat the teams put before you - and with the exception of the Millwall game we have . Fitness levels and understanding will be improving , as will confidence . 

There is still something lacking in the way we closed Luton down in midfield and at the front  ( often running straight at the 'ball-carrier'  with pace , which they easily sidestepped leaving us on the wrong foot and in the wrong place - where 'jockeying' would have been more effective ). 

There is also something not right yet about the central attacking style in terms of the runs being  made , positioning and support .  But overall I'm fairly happy about the way things are developing ( even if it isn't yet 'pretty' ) .  If we can't be optimistic ( but not complacent ) when we're top of the league , when can we ? 

Spot on, especially the middle paragraph, was saying exactly the same thing last night.