Flattering To Deceive

Just now, Bluesteel said:

I think it’s a case of job done. We probably played better at Millwall. But when you’re expected to win at home it doesn’t always result in a good performance. 

How many times have we then raised it against the teams we expect to hammer us?

I must be a minority but I thought offensively we were poor against miwaw

3 minutes ago, Morepork said:

In this league you take what you can get. Surely nobody expects to win attractively or even convincingly every game. There are plenty of unanswered questions about the wisdom of our current situation but I can't bring myself to criticise a win. 

This, do I think Bullen is the long term solution, no, I want the Cowleys, BUT in a league where anyone can and does beat anyone every week, where there is usually 12 clubs at minimum going for promotion, to win games while not playing your best, is great.

2 goals conceded so far, one was a flap from Westwood. 0 goals conceded at home. 

9 points from 4 games, best start we've had in a while which we were all hoping for. Let's hope it continues. 

Still very early on with new players and a new manager, let's hope we can keep up the good form and really get a style of play nailed down. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

For me our biggest problem in recent seasons is struggling against the ‘lesser’ sides. Feel we actually play better against teams who go for it and play football. 

Luton were compact and well organised, tough team to play. And we got three points. Positive. 

That’s right, we started to beat sides like that under Bruce, and it looks as if Bullen has picked up the mantle

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

2 goals conceded so far, one was a flap from Westwood. 0 goals conceded at home. 

9 points from 4 games, best start we've had in a while which we were all hoping for. Let's hope it continues. 

Still very early on with new players and a new manager, let's hope we can keep up the good form and really get a style of play nailed down. 

Yep, and anyone on here that says they would not have been delighted with 9 points from 12 after Bruce left has lost all sense of perspective. 

We've played brilliantly twice, had two middling performances and come away with 9 points from 12. We're doing well, Preston away will be more of a challenge on Saturday but I really think at present there's a belief around the club that we can get a result from any game. Maybe it'll last, maybe it won't, but for now it's looking pretty rosy.

It's very early days. 

The detractors are falling over themselves to criticise right now. 

Got my reservations about Bullen, but I find it quite staggering that people are looking to find fault with every single facet. 

When we win; it's an easy start. 

When we lose; it was because he didn't have Nando on the bench.

15 minutes ago, ... said:

Top of the League and won 3/4 but it’s not pretty. 

If we play like that against the top teams in the division we will struggle.

that could easily have been a draw without the keeper howler. 

I still think we need to appoint a manager that isn’t Bullen, he’s done a great job a brilliant job but nows the time.

Plenty on here said we flattered to deceive all the way to 2 play-off finishes a few years ago - I'd take that bargain again.

Someone in another thread described us as a mid table side, perhaps trying to be disparaging Well, although we are better than a mid table side, we’re not obvious promotion contenders That Bullen has got us picking up wins, with a good, but not an exceptional group of players, shows that he just might have what it takes

14 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

That 1st half will have done Bullen no favours. However we won the game and that’s all that matters. Yes we should be beating teams like Luton and things will be a lot tougher when we play the better teams. Still don’t think Bullen is the answer long term and he will get found out against the better teams but he deserves a few more games as caretaker imo. 

Why should we?

It's that sort of arrogance that gets us a bad name. We don't have a divine right to beat anyone.

Tonight was tough but we plugged away and in the end won. Had a couple of our other decent chances gone in it would have looked a lot easier but this is a division where every game is tough. We've been here long enough to know that anyone can beat anyone else in this league, there are no easy matches.

6 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Why should we?

It's that sort of arrogance that gets us a bad name. We don't have a divine right to beat anyone.

Tonight was tough but we plugged away and in the end won. Had a couple of our other decent chances gone in it would have looked a lot easier but this is a division where every game is tough. We've been here long enough to know that anyone can beat anyone else in this league, there are no easy matches.

I wouldn’t so much say arrogance more confidence. When you look at the players we have in our team and compare them to the likes of Luton etc yes I think we should be beating them. Yes it doesn’t always work out that way but I think expecting a win at home to Luton is fair enough.  

We've made a good start - you can only beat the teams put before you - and with the exception of the Millwall game we have . Fitness levels and understanding will be improving , as will confidence . 

There is still something lacking in the way we closed Luton down in midfield and at the front  ( often running straight at the 'ball-carrier'  with pace , which they easily sidestepped leaving us on the wrong foot and in the wrong place - where 'jockeying' would have been more effective ). 

There is also something not right yet about the central attacking style in terms of the runs being  made , positioning and support .  But overall I'm fairly happy about the way things are developing ( even if it isn't yet 'pretty' ) .  If we can't be optimistic ( but not complacent ) when we're top of the league , when can we ? 

• Like 1