Loan Watch Rides Again!

1st November

Jahn Regensburg  3-3  VfL Osnabruck        (att:  10,179)

However many VfL fans made the near 750mile round trip for a Friday teatime kick-off, they're probably glad they did

JvA's side boasted the best defence in the division and the joint worst scoring record, so a six-goal thriller was never really on the cards

SSV Jahn were probably worth their half time lead, but to concede a second just before the break was hard on VfL

The second half looked like a different game though. VfL scored early on and although they soon trailed by 3-1 they were never out of it

At 3-3 with about 20mins left I'd have said there was only one likely winner ...

So ... VfL extend their winless run to seven games but I bet the long journey home seems a little shorter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2nd November

St Pauli  2-2  Karlsruher SC         (att:  29,546)

Jos must've been walking under ladders again

His side egded this one and were comfortably 2-0 up after an hour thanks to two 2nd half penalties

Then KSC pulled one back on 86mins and equalised in the 91st - they might even have won it at the death!

Matt Penney started as wing-back but was subbed off, presumably injured, after half an hour

Hope it's nothing serious  :unsure:

9 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

2nd November

St Pauli  2-2  Karlsruher SC         (att:  29,546)

Jos must've been walking under ladders again

His side egded this one and were comfortably 2-0 up after an hour thanks to two 2nd half penalties

Then KSC pulled one back on 86mins and equalised in the 91st - they might even have won it at the death!

Matt Penney started as wing-back but was subbed off, presumably injured, after half an hour

Hope it's nothing serious  :unsure:

Hamstring I believe....definitely out for next week and presumably longer

50 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hamstring I believe....definitely out for next week and presumably longer

That is what I've heard. Perhaps 3 games in a week was to much for him. On a positive note it shows what an important player for St Pauli he became.

Btw. He bossed 2'nd half in a cup game against Eintracht, team that "murdered" Bayern Munich today.

In my opinion he is a special talent that we must nurture.

2nd November contd ...

Carlisle  2-1  Macclesfield           (att:  3,880)

Definitely the theme of the day - concede late goals/ throw away valuable points

Connor Kirby & co perhaps did this in less dramatic fashion than Wednesday and St Pauli

But they were leading, missed a penalty and then conceded a scrappy equaliser in 1st half injury time

Had another goal disallowed after the break before Carlisle grabbed an 82nd minute winner

Motherwell  2-1  Livingston             (att:  4,423)

A penalty for Livi brought them level on the hour, but they too conceded a second goal with about seven minutes left to play

Jack Stobbs watched it all happen from the bench once again

I dunno, you're a goal down and the clock's ticking. When do you bring on your subs?  :mellow:

8th November

St Pauli  1-1  VfL Bochum           (att:  29,546)

Which is, curiously, the exact same attendance figure given for their previous home game  :mellow:

Either means the game sold out (again) or else they can't be bothered adding the numbers up anymore

Anyroad, Matt Penney missed this one through injury - as we thought he might

And in his absence St Pauli dropped more home points to a side currently sitting in the bottom three

9th November

VfL Osnabruck  1-0  Stuttgart           (att:  15,801)

By contrast, VfL ended their winless run with a hard-fought victory over a side currently in the top three

Change of formation saw Joost van Aken starting left CB in a back four

The goal came after 4mins and it was all hands to the pump for rest of it

Although Stuttgart did seem to run out of steam towards the end

The win sees VfL move above St Pauli and up to 9th place - but there's a top 3 and a bottom 3, not much to choose between the rest

Edited by Ethel The Tree

10th November

Macclesfield  0-4  Kingstonian           (att:  996)

Connor Kirby was one of five loanees selected to fulfil this fixture

The rest of Macc's side being youngsters drafted in to cover for senior players who'd voted for strike action

Clearly no match for their non-league visitors

Kingstonian aren't tearing up the Isthmian League but they were fired-up for this game

Leading 2-0 after about 10mins, grabbing a third straight after the restart - Macc barely had chance to get a foothold

Livingston  v  Rangers   3pm ko

And once again, seems like there's no place for Jack Stobbs in Livi's matchday squad  :sad:

• Like 1

Looked like men against boys tbf

It can't have been easy for Connor - given the captain's armband for this one, picked up another yellow card too (probably in frustration)

Media reports suggest Macc's senior players are still refusing to train, never mind play

So the situation is likely to continue for Wednesday night's trophy match away at Shrewsbury  :mellow:

• Like 1

I'm sure it looked different on the brochure when he signed up ...

Sol Campbell as manager, joining a bunch of other young loanees drawn from Birmingham, Forest, Wigan & Fleetwood

It all changed fairly quickly although the senior pros had probably seen the writing on the wall

On the plus side, he's stayed fit and he is getting the games

It might only have been a Macclesfield XI on Sunday but the armband suggests his manager values his contribution

So who knows, maybe things aren't that grim for him ... yet

• Like 1

... can't say the same for Jack Stobbs though

Haven't a clue what's going on up there, whether he has fitness problems, is out of form or out of favour

I've tried a little internet research but drew a blank  :sad:

What I did discover though is that Livingston are running away with it at the top of the SPFL Reserve League 2

Has Jack been turning out for them?  Dunno

I do recall him doing well for Port Vale's reserves and still not getting anywhere near their 1st team - bit of a coincidence?

Probably not

Maybe there's a Scottish Owl out there who could dig around on our behalf and come up with some info

(other than him not being good enough) ... which might be the real reason anyway  :unsure:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

... can't say the same for Jack Stobbs though

Haven't a clue what's going on up there, whether he has fitness problems, is out of form or out of favour

I've tried a little internet research but drew a blank  :sad:

What I did discover though is that Livingston are running away with it at the top of the SPFL Reserve League 2

Has Jack been turning out for them?  Dunno

I do recall him doing well for Port Vale's reserves and still not getting anywhere near their 1st team - bit of a coincidence?

Probably not

Maybe there's a Scottish Owl out there who could dig around on our behalf and come up with some info

(other than him not being good enough) ... which might be the real reason anyway  :unsure:

The fact that he has not managed to get regular starts on loan at any of the clubs he has been with, I think suggests his time with us will not be extended.

14 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

The fact that he has not managed to get regular starts on loan at any of the clubs he has been with, I think suggests his time with us will not be extended.

Agreed

Potential-wise, I'd have put Jack Stobbs on a par with Sean Clare

And that being the case I thought a move to the SPL might have worked for him

Right now though, it looks as though the standard (don't laugh) is too high for both of them

With the experience Clare has gained at Hearts, I can see him moving on to an English League 1 club without too much difficulty

Not so Jack

Unless he gets some senior games under his belt and quickly, he's more likely to be looking for a proper job next summer

And maybe playing part-time in the Northern Premier  :mellow:

If he has an agent then now is the time for him to earn his crust

On 03/11/2019 at 18:26, Slogboy said:

He's doing well in Germany and getting played. Doubt monk will play him here. How many minutes do our u23s get in the first team, a big fat zero!

I'm sure they'd get games if they were good enough ... .Preston,kirby ,Penney,hunt,neilson,ogrady ,wildsmith ,Clare ,Baker all got games under Jos and boy didn't he get slaughtered for doing so .

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I'm sure they'd get games if they were good enough ... .Preston,kirby ,Penney,hunt,neilson,ogrady ,wildsmith ,Clare ,Baker all got games under Jos and boy didn't he get slaughtered for doing so .

I'm still not convinced Jos was leading some kind of youth crusade

He was plugging gaps while the injury crisis cleared up, and as each senior pro recovered those juniors fell back down the pecking order

I reckon it's a reflection of the size and quality of our senior squad that none of them have managed to break back in despite three managerial changes

Thorniley, Penney & Baker are perhaps best placed to have a decent career ahead of them, but not necessarily with us

• Like 1