Ethel The Tree

Loan Watch Rides Again!

Looks like Conor Kirby has become a mainstay in the Macclesfield side, will do him the world of good to get 35+ games this season.

• Agree 3

Stobbs not even on the bench for Livingston today.

Another start and good performance for Penney in hard away game at Nurmberg. Did great to create goal that sadly got ruled out for offside. After pulling ball back for scorer Penney got judged for obstructing keeper's view while in offside position. Unlucky.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Wasn't able to access Owlstalk at all yesterday  :unsure: ... or this morning

So better late than never

6th October

Livingston  2-0  Celtic               (att:  8,196)

Jack Stobbs failed to make the matchday squad for the first time

Nothing to suggest he was injured, more a case of his manager making changes after chucking 3pts away last time out

So naturally, Livi go and produce their best result of the season so far even though Celtic played most of the game with 10 men

Get the impression Jack might have his work cut out to get back in  :sad:

FC Nurnberg  1-1  St Pauli           (att:  32,117)

Matt Penney played the whole of this one though - as LB in an orthodox back four

Which meant his best work was mostly done in his own half

The only thing separating these sides is a +1 goal difference but St Pauli might feel it should be 3pts

They led at half time, had a couple of goals ruled out (one by VAR) but looked to be hanging on a bit at the end

The point moves them up to 5th

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 5

After seeing what Börner has done after moving here from 2. Bundesliga, I really really hope that we're doing everything we can to ensure we bring Penney back at the end of his loan. If he's being a main left back for a side chasing promotion from that league, he's clearly kicked on enough to be a main left back for a similar side in the Championship. 

• Agree 8

Some good players on show in Bundesliga 2 from what I’ve seen so far.

Also lots of players have stepped up. Both full backs at Leipzig who are both German internationals were signed from Bochum and St Pauli respectively.

Some bargains to be had, just look at Borner and the guys Norwich signed and Huddersfield in their promotion season. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

After seeing what Börner has done after moving here from 2. Bundesliga, I really really hope that we're doing everything we can to ensure we bring Penney back at the end of his loan. If he's being a main left back for a side chasing promotion from that league, he's clearly kicked on enough to be a main left back for a similar side in the Championship. 

Saw in a German article that he loves Hamburg and certainly doing very well. You never know...

https://amp.mopo.de/sport/fc-st-pauli/st--pauli-neuling-matt-penney-ueber-eine-kuriose-enttaeuschung-und-heimatgefuehle-33260026?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Slogboy

1 hour ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Playing in front of small crowds in a side struggling for points and alongside senior pros who aren't getting paid  :mellow:

He can't be having as much fun as Matt Penney, but it's good experience all the same

It's Jack Stobbs who's drawn the short straw ... again

He's not getting the game time but worse than that, he's not starting matches

I thought the SPL was a good move for him but it's looking more like Last Chance Saloon

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Playing in front of small crowds in a side struggling for points and alongside senior pros who aren't getting paid  :mellow:

He can't be having as much fun as Matt Penney, but it's good experience all the same

It's Jack Stobbs who's drawn the short straw ... again

He's not getting the game time but worse than that, he's not starting matches

I thought the SPL was a good move for him but it's looking more like Last Chance Saloon

As long as he's getting first team games it's good experience. Players progress vat different times.

I like Stobbs but just can't see him making it here. Never stood out fir the U23s when I've seen them.

• Agree 1

Hopefully Penney can do well in Germany and come back here ready for next season. We need a new left back, rather than spending money on one, we might already have one right under our nose.

• Agree 1

Definitely a warm welcome back to Penney, and hopefully he can recommend a German monster of a striker or two when he gets back here.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I like Stobbs but just can't see him making it here. Never stood out fir the U23s when I've seen them.

I just think time is running out for him

He's 23 next February but has only made four senior league starts in total

That's two for us (both under Jos), one for Port Vale and one the other week for Livingston

He needs to see some serious action up there for the sake of his career

Otherwise, he'll see this season out in our U23s and be lucky to find another club when his contract expires  :sad:

Edited by Ethel The Tree
  • Agree 3

Is Penney out of contract in the summer? 

Can he be recalled in January?

He needs an extension because if he is out of contract then he may just be staying in Germany full time with a pre contract agreement in January. 

• Agree 4

Van Aken pinging it about the park. Certainly loves the Hollywood ball!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Van Aken pinging it about the park. Certainly loves the Hollywood ball!

What's it on pal? 

7th October

VfL Osnabruck  0-1  Arminia Bielefeld          (att:  15,800)

Joost van Aken's side needed to halt a slide of winless games against Julian Borner's old mates

They didn't manage it. They went behind around the hour mark and Joost himself was subbed off after 75mins

According to uk.soccerway, Bielefeld scored a second on 90mins and it was only after full time that someone decided it had been disallowed  :dry:

Anyhow, this league is almost as crazy as the Championship

If VfL had won tonight they'd have moved up to 5th, ahead of St Pauli

As it is they stay in 13th, 2pts above the drop zone while Bielefeld remain well-placed in 3rd

And Wehen Wiesbaden, remember them? The division's punchbag (until last week when VfL handed them their first win of the season)?

Well they visited 2nd placed Stuttgart on Friday night and won 2-1 in front of 49,627

What's the German for 'Lump on'?  :biggrin:

* klumpen auf

Edited by Ethel The Tree
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I think Penney and his style would fit nicely into a Monk system. 

• Agree 2