Loan Watch Rides Again!

12 hours ago, malek said:

And then again, he was voted our player of the month, got played horribly out of position and with busted shoulder. Figure that out...

Is it that that lead you to the conclusion he’s our best LB?

13 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

If he'd done so well, he wouldn't have found himself out of work for 18 months before joining us.

I'm not going to comment on his performance at other clubs because I don't know enough about the circumstances and expectations at his other teams.

But let's not kid ourselves that the JL experiment had a well thought-out plan behind it.

I agree that we did finish the 17/18 season in good form once we'd reached safety from relegation.  JL's tactics, player selections and substitutions did get crazier as time went on; that October to December 2018 period was batsh*t mental.

Plenty of good managers are out of work a while, not saying Jos is a mastermind or anything but he's got both Hertha Berlin and Augsburg promoted out of the second division in Bundesliga, he also managed a 14th placed finish in the Bundesliga with his newly promoted Augsburg side. In Germany I reckon his stock is pretty decent.

7 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Is it that that lead you to the conclusion he’s our best LB?

Nope. For start he is quick and left footed, and those two are base requirements for left back position that none of our other left backs have.

1 hour ago, LSOwls said:

Kinda feel like the best thread on Owlstalk has been ruined by the Jos chat :ph34r:

Don't worry

Normal services will be resumed Sat'dy ...

Livingston v Aberdeen

Grimsby v Macclesfield  (yet again!)

And Sunday (the big one!) ...

Osnabruck v St Pauli    :biggrin:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, malek said:

Nope. For start he is quick and left footed, and those two are base requirements for left back position that none of our other left backs have.

It takes more than that. Too weak and lacking maturity to be our best left back, he's not even close which is why we have let him go to gain experience and hopefully he'll come back a better player for it

2 hours ago, malek said:

i'd have thought being able to defend is the base requirement for the left back position …..he's ok going forward but when it comes to defensive duties  he fell short .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'd have thought being able to defend is the base requirement for the left back position …..he's ok going forward but when it comes to defensive duties  he fell short .

I rate your opinion, but I'm not sure about that. Think his lack of experience and how to balance his attacking and defensive duties coused him some problems. Certainly got all tools to combat Championship wingers.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

Correct and it didn't take team long to work out that positionally he was awfully weak and in one game in particular the ball was constantly sent over at head height and he didn't win a single header against his winger

1 hour ago, malek said:

I rate your opinion, but I'm not sure about that. Think his lack of experience and how to balance his attacking and defensive duties coused him some problems. Certainly got all tools to combat Championship wingers.

I don't think he has …..going out on loan and hopefully getting game time will help him though. he's got potential I don't dispute that but potential and being the best left back in the club as you claim are a long way apart 

16 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Yes, I know. It's only a pet theory of mine

There was a photo published during his second season - I'm sure it was at Hillsborough

Jos was on the touchline passing instructions on to Adam Reach

Reach's expression was priceless, kind of:  "WTF you on about."  :laugh:

I took one look at that and thought 'that's the problem we're having, right there!'

Is this the one? 

Screenshot_20190920-005732_Google.jpg

• Like 1

21st September and not much for our loan-outs to shout about  :sad:

Livingston  0-2  Aberdeen            (att:  2,803)

It really is about time Jack Stobbs was given a start

He came off the bench at half time with his side trailing 1-0 but they still couldn't find the goal they wanted

Aberdeen's second came from the penalty spot deep into injury time

Grimsby  1-0  Macclesfield             (att:  3,794)

Connor Kirby on the other hand seems to have nailed his starting place

Macc's previous two trips to Grimsby (well, one and a half) failed to produce a single goal

The home side just about edged this one on match stats

So when a goal did finally happen it's perhaps only fair that it should go to them

Rushall Olympic  2-0  Gainsborough

More research required for this one  :biggrin: but it seems both these sides are on the same level of the league pyramid

But play in different regions

It also seems that Rushall are doing very well in theirs while Trinity are struggling

So this FA Cup qualifier was probably a tough tie for Ciaran Brennan to make his full debut, but he did okay by all accounts

As did his new side

But they were already 2-0 down when the home side went down to 10 men with ten minutes remaining

They gave it a go but that's how it finished

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22nd September

VfL Osnabruck  1-1  St Pauli               (att:  16,000)

Joost van Aken v Matt Penney finished with honours shared, on the face of it

Both started although Matt was subbed off with ten minutes left

The ref was busy waving his cards around by then and St Pauli played the last five minutes with ten men

1-1 at half time, VfL scored early and led for about 10mins - but couldn't make that late advantage count

The point leaves both sides in mid-table

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4