The problem with Bullen ....

The Monk

Yes, funny that as I was saying the same to another poster in another thread a while ago who was finding lowering his expectations a little tough after 20 years outside the Prem.

When you have grown up following Wednesday through Wilko, Big Ron and a lesser extent Tricky Trev it’s hard to accept performances like yesterday but as you say might be better to do so to aid the old blood pressure.

Edited by GMOwl72

12 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Bullen seems more concerned with keeping players happy.

It will all end in tears.

100%. I thought this with the strikers. One week on the bench it’s Rhodes coming on for 20, next it was Winnall, yesterday Forestieri and Nuhiu. Be bold. Pick a couple on the bench and stick with it. 

I went to Millwall saw the Luton game but missed the Preston match.

In the two games I saw I thought the team looked poor and largely clueless.

You are right in that Lee Bullen's strategy is not clearly evident.

I suspect that the strategy is to get the ball to Harris or Murphy and pray for a piece of individual brilliance.

11 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

You have no idea what Bullen's  match day strategy is...like the rest of the fookin, Championship Managerfookwits on here

How does that work then??, So you're suggesting whats seen on the pitch on match days, formations, tactics etc,  DOESN'T represent Bullen's "match day strategy"!?. I'd wager most people would imagine Bullen picks the team, sets the formation and tells them how he expects then to play, but you seemingly suggest otherwise!?. So the only other conclusion is you're suggesting players arent doing what Bullen sends them out to do, if whats seen isn't an idea of his match day strategy!!!. We struggled to breakdown 10 man Millwall, who even with 11 are bang average, was a very similar struggle v Luton til we scraped a win, and indeed we were poor against Preston. Bullen's 'plan B' seems to be straight from his playing days, if its not going well stick loads up top and hit it long!, he's done it in last 3 games. It's outdated and uninspired, and clearly not that successful. For me, these last few games have laid bare his tactical limitations, it comes across as more hope than expectation, which really isnt the way forward and wont put us in a place to challenge. He appears to be a solid dependable coach, but with every passing game his limitations are becoming more and more apparent. He's NOT the way forward, at best he's a stagnation, at worst becoming a liability. We need an experienced, tactically astute manger in asap, otherwise season will drift rapidly into a write off!!

Great post imo from Tommycockles:

Bullen's 'plan B' seems to be straight from his playing days, if its not going well stick loads up top and hit it long!, he's done it in last 3 games. It's outdated and uninspired, and clearly not that successful.

We need an experienced, tactically astute manger in asap, otherwise season will drift rapidly into a write off!

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

I went to Millwall saw the Luton game but missed the Preston match.

In the two games I saw I thought the team looked poor and largely clueless.

You are right in that Lee Bullen's strategy is not clearly evident.

I suspect that the strategy is to get the ball to Harris or Murphy and pray for a piece of individual brilliance.

For context, Millwall squad cost £800, 000, ours £35 million.

If you can't incorporate or motivate Fessi, forget about it. 

On 18/08/2019 at 13:47, Beholder said:

Is that people won't give him time

All managers will lose games.

But with Bullen there will be an inquest, hence all the threads on here telling us why he was naive. 

That wouldn't have happened with Bruce, but the defeat probably would have.

DC needs to appoint LB now and then bring in a experienced assistant to work along side him, he can then work with no uncertainty, knowing he has the confidence and the backing of the chairman.

Yes, he's a novice and will make mistakes but he come's across as someone who will learn from them rather than panicking and losing the plot. He bleeds Blue and white and although this is not essential it's not a bad thing to have, is it?

As fans we can do one of two things, we can get on his back, post ridiculous remarks on social media  and be negative or we can roll with the punches , deal with the losses without throwing our toys out of the pram and back him and the players he selects and plays 100%.

There has been some p1ss' poor names linked with the job and the one that most wanted (Hughton) did'nt want the job, the rest (Van Bronkhorst, Allardyce etc..) are way out of our league and would be beyond our financial clout.

Stability, continuity and unity is the only way to go IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

In response I would quote Mishowl who put it very succinctly:

"Our manager has one job, get us promoted. The problem with Bullen is, he won't achieve this."

Crystal ball? Tarot cards? A Medium? Time traveller?...........are you Doctor Who?  Did Billie Piper do a turn?

Seriously, how can anyone make a statement like that and not be in charge or be one of the above?

On 26/08/2019 at 10:50, tommycockles said:

How does that work then??, So you're suggesting whats seen on the pitch on match days, formations, tactics etc,  DOESN'T represent Bullen's "match day strategy"!?. I'd wager most people would imagine Bullen picks the team, sets the formation and tells them how he expects then to play, but you seemingly suggest otherwise!?. So the only other conclusion is you're suggesting players arent doing what Bullen sends them out to do, if whats seen isn't an idea of his match day strategy!!!. We struggled to breakdown 10 man Millwall, who even with 11 are bang average, was a very similar struggle v Luton til we scraped a win, and indeed we were poor against Preston. Bullen's 'plan B' seems to be straight from his playing days, if its not going well stick loads up top and hit it long!, he's done it in last 3 games. It's outdated and uninspired, and clearly not that successful. For me, these last few games have laid bare his tactical limitations, it comes across as more hope than expectation, which really isnt the way forward and wont put us in a place to challenge. He appears to be a solid dependable coach, but with every passing game his limitations are becoming more and more apparent. He's NOT the way forward, at best he's a stagnation, at worst becoming a liability. We need an experienced, tactically astute manger in asap, otherwise season will drift rapidly into a write off!!

Fantastic Post !