Positive Wednesday

10 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

We were poor today. We never really threatened even while we controlled the whole game.

That's not the most disappointing part of today though. Sometimes you can have days when it just doesn't click going forward no matter how much you dominate. However, when you have those days it's imperative you don't make mistakes at the other end. We made a very big mistake against a very obvious  threat.

It really is frustrating how poorly we defended that corner. Thinking about it will ruin my week. Need to shut that shit out.

Could not agree more. After the huge mistake at Reading a solid performance was paramount from KW. LB must be fuming after putting faith in him and dropping Dawson. Very very disappointed with Westwood today

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Positive start to the season. 

Keep it up boys.

Exactly. Sometimes they will win when undeserved or unexpected sometimes things won't go their way. 

It's the overall that counts, that's why it makes me laugh when some focus on individual results and table gaze every week with every result...

I'd just make the point that being critical of the Milwall performance does not equate to thinking we've not made a positive start to the season. You can hold both view points.....

Edited by Morepork

2 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I'd just make the point that being critical of the Milwall performance does not equate to thinking we've not made a positive start to the season. You can hold both view points.....

Mmmmm...

You can hold two seemingly contradictory viewpoints.

However most people on Owlstalk prefer not to.

Polarised opinions are usually the way forward.

Still give it a go, see how you get on.

lol

Why change the style of play and ditch the high pressing game that’s been THE feature to our excellent start to the season to accommodate a poor Millwall side ..... let them worry about us not us them!

Being over cautious and paying poor teams too much respect has once again cost us dearly........ FFS we have technically better, faster players.... show some bottle and take the initiative Wednesday!

Edited by casbahowl

5 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

Mmmmm...

You can hold two seemingly contradictory viewpoints.

However most people on Owlstalk prefer not to.

Polarised opinions are usually the way forward.

Still give it a go, see how you get on.

lol

There's no contradiction in being disappointed with today but pleased with our start overall.

Balanced perspective is the key to OT mental health..... lol

6 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Why change the style of play and ditch the high pressing game that’s been THE feature to our start to accommodate a poor Millwall side ..... let them worry about us not us them!

To be honest I thought both teams were getting stuck right in with their closing down till the sending off. There seemed to be hardly any time on the ball for the first 20 minutes. 

As to the thread, it's nice to read something positive and I agree with most of it.

However in my mind the jury is still out on LB as manager.

The first time he stepped in as caretaker he didn't seem to be able to pull things round.

The second time he took advantage of reinstating good players into a reasonable team and achieved a bit of a bounce.

This time he's benefitted from someone else's signings and pre season preparation to start well.

As many people are saying it's about how he will respond when things are a bit tougher.

I think I have doubts and would prefer an experienced chap at the helm.

Having said all that I'm looking forward to seeing the lads play on Tuesday night especially with two actual wingers.

You'll be able to pick me out of the crowd, I'll be the chap stood up shouting 'get t'by-line, get t'by-line'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be honest I thought both teams were getting stuck right in with their closing down till the sending off. There seemed to be hardly any time on the ball for the first 20 minutes. 

I’m referring to the “high press” mate, the one that’s terrified the defences of both Reading & Barnsley.......... getting “stuck in” in the midfield areas isn’t the same as the high press on the back four!

Over cautious against a poor side!

9 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

I’m referring to the “high press” mate, the one that’s terrified the defences of both Reading & Barnsley.......... getting “stuck in” in the midfield areas isn’t the same as the high press on the back four!

Over cautious against a poor side!

It was always going to lend itself to being more a 4-1-4-1 out of possession and scrunching the space and going in when the shape was solid. Few teams in the world would go into away games full on gung-ho. 

Clearly we had set triggers when we were going.

To be honest, I think it was working too till their lad went off too. If not a little scrappy game. 

I'm pretty sure we'll be closing Luton down at the edge of their own box back home at Hillsborough on Tuesday night.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It was always going to lend itself to being more a 4-1-4-1 out of possession and scrunching the space and going in when the shape was solid. Few teams in the world would go into away games full on gung-ho. 

Clearly we had set triggers when we were going.

To be honest, I think it was working too till their lad went off too. If not a little scrappy game. 

I'm pretty sure we'll be closing Luton down at the edge of their own box back home at Hillsborough on Tuesday night.

Probably so but we had a real chance of 3 valuable away points, playing against a poor team who for 54 minutes had 10 men......... poor from the team who were picked & the person who picked them!

I’ve not been today so can’t comment on our overall performance... however, just watched the Sky highlights a few times and their centre forward shoves Iorfa in the back before connecting with his header. No way he’s getting there otherwise, whether Westwood stays on his line or not. If it was in the PL the goal would’ve been disallowed — when you watch it back it’s a clear foul, but without VAR it’s almost impossible for refs to spot infringements like this at corners. These things happen and we have to move on... fortunately we have the chance to do that very soon on Tuesday night against Luton. 

Guest The Horse
7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Few teams in the world would go into away games full on gung-ho. 

I don't get this.

Do teams get an extra player when at home or something?

In this day and age it should be irrelevant whether you're home or away - if you have the better players you impose yourself and let the opposition worry about you. Regardless of where the grass is located.

8 hours ago, Stoop said:

No positivity from me today, whether we played well or not, the fact remains that we lost to a very very average millwall side with 10 men for 55 minutes 

So we were great when we were unbeaten but Millwall are poor yet they're unbeaten...reyt

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

So we were great when we were unbeaten but Millwall are poor yet they're unbeaten...reyt

Never said we were great

Never said millwall are poor

said they are very very average and I’m disappointed we didn’t do better 

Guest Bulgaria
7 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Probably so but we had a real chance of 3 valuable away points, playing against a poor team who for 54 minutes had 10 men......... poor from the team who were picked & the person who picked them!

Whilst i agree with you on most points, to blame Bullen is harsh, i think he did all he could to be honest, maybe with hindsight he could have put Atty on rather than Rhodes...  The players played with no brain for the last 15 minutes. The stupid fouls they gave away in the last 10 was schoolboy stuff, maybe we have sighed some fast players but maybe we got them cheap because they have no real football brain.

2 hours ago, Stoop said:

Never said we were great

Never said millwall are poor

said they are very very average and I’m disappointed we didn’t do better 

Who knows Millwall might be this years surprise team. They aren't pretty and they lack quality but they do know how to disrupt and upset other teams. They are dogged in defence and have a good team ethic.

Let's leave it until we are 10 games in before we say who is great, average or poor. That includes us, bit like the curates egg at the minute, some really good signs  and some not so good. I think we need to settle down into our new style and the new players need to bed in so everyone can read each others game. We've solved the pace problem, we seem to be aiming for the high press as a general rule and we are attacking rather than passing it around the back 4 and keeper. That is a big improvement, now we need to learn how to win dirty and get in the refs face more. We need to stop being nice.

There's a long way to go in the season.