Will we score enough goals?

35 minutes ago, LittleG said:

I totally agree that it's not feasible to predict either way what our goal scoring will equate to. However I am concerned that our only forward options off the bench today were JR and Nuihu. 

yes i agree,very limited,we needed a Scott Hogan or the like,when he was available imo

Guest LittleG
30 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think most of us expect that FF will start v Luton.

With Harris seemingly our MOM I imagine we will see Harris and FF wide, swapping wings like Harris and Murphy did last week.

I hope you're right but don't think FF will start. 

Typically, a team needs about 75 league goals to stand a decent chance of going up - though clearly that doesn't guarantee it. If Fletcher got 15 as the main striker I'd probably think he'd done OK.

Not sure where the other 60 would come from to be honest.

14 hours ago, Nut said:

orI've only seen us once this season which was last week against Barnsley. I was really impressed with how we played going forward but was worried we didn't take more of the chances we created. It sounds like today we had loads of possession and created chances but didn't take them. As much as I like Fletcher and appreciate what he does for the team, he's not prolific and if Rhodes isn't going to step up, who's going to score the goals? We've no-one in midfield who is capable of double figures so I feel it's going to be a struggle to win enough games to reach the top 6 unless we can keep it really tight at the back.

I figured from the start (with bruce in charge) that we would get shut of hooper, (winnall or rhodes), joao, and nuhiu, and bring in one or two 'more all round' strikers who were more mobile and far more 'prolific'.

now i'm hoping were looking at see what happens between now and Christmas, and look to strengthen then.

15 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I gave us a bonus goal 

But you should’ve taken one away because one goal was scored by a player we’ve sold. 

We have five forwards but I worry for us when Fletcher gets injured. I know why we sold Joao  because you can only sell players people want to buy. But the fact other teams didn’t want to pay reasonable money our other forwards indicates how good they are. 

We just gotta keep playing to our strengths, stick to the same philosophy and over the season we will win more than we lose. The first big test will be how we react to defeat. We don't have to score shed loads to make the top 6, I remember Hull being low scorers but still making the top 6 and getting promoted. Despite not taking more of our chances against Barnsley and not taking any against 10 man Millwall, the main positive is that in all three games so far, we're creating chances. We just need to stick with it and be more ruthless like we were against Reading.

21 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

I am struggling to see why people can’t understand that we won’t win or score in every game this season?

A big game on Tuesday now to see how we react to the defeat.

I’m struggling to see why you can’t understand the OP’s point. 

We’re not saying we should win and score in every game, the thread is about whether we’ll score enough over a season to be in the running 

15 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

To me, this is exactly the problem. This is what is likely to stop us challenging for an automatic place. We just don't score enough goals over a season. When you look at how many the promoted sides score, we don't get anywhere near those figures. 

It's not a kneejerk reaction. I'm really pleased with the start we've made (until today). We don't have a prolific striker. Our midfielders don't score enough. The defenders also don't chip in enough. In the 90s you could always rely on Nigel Pearson to bag a few from corners. 

I don't know what our xG statistics are so far this season but I know they've been quite poor the last few seasons. Even today, with all the shots on goal (21 or something) by all accounts, they weren't great shots or chances. 

Hopefully Harris can score more and Fletch finds some form in front of goal but that is the worry with only one up front. Bannan needs to score more and Reach needs to work on tap ins as well as screamers. I hope I'm wrong. We have a good squad but everyone needs to step up in front of the net. 

we wont be challenging top 6 never mind automatic  

Guest wilyfox

I don't think we'll score enough, no. Wasn't enough striker outs & ins this summer. Fletcher is the only one suiting the central role in our chosen 4-3-3. He's plan A, and there is no cover and competition for his role. Rhodes can't lead the line. Nuhiu can't high press. Forestieri too lightweight for the role, and both mascots would get a game before Winnall. We needed a new option up there. Same crop of strikers for years. 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

I’m struggling to see why you can’t understand the OP’s point. 

We’re not saying we should win and score in every game, the thread is about whether we’ll score enough over a season to be in the running 

I do understand thank you. OP is based on 3 games where we have scored 5 goals. Is this a crisis? 

16 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

We had twenty odd attempts on goal..however being away it wasn't enough...how I long for CC not getting in the opponents half for a full season until the 60th minute...

Too right - unbelievable drivel posted one here some of the time.  We're Championship, we're Wednesday, we're going to have a good season.  Perspective has gone missing yet again.  Man City let in twice as many as we did. What does that make them? Guardiola had better watch out for his job...