Will we score enough goals?

I've only seen us once this season which was last week against Barnsley. I was really impressed with how we played going forward but was worried we didn't take more of the chances we created. It sounds like today we had loads of possession and created chances but didn't take them. As much as I like Fletcher and appreciate what he does for the team, he's not prolific and if Rhodes isn't going to step up, who's going to score the goals? We've no-one in midfield who is capable of double figures so I feel it's going to be a struggle to win enough games to reach the top 6 unless we can keep it really tight at the back.

Guest LittleG
Just now, Holmowl said:

I gave us a bonus goal 

We might need you to give us a bonus goal in quite a few more matches this season.

To me, this is exactly the problem. This is what is likely to stop us challenging for an automatic place. We just don't score enough goals over a season. When you look at how many the promoted sides score, we don't get anywhere near those figures. 

It's not a kneejerk reaction. I'm really pleased with the start we've made (until today). We don't have a prolific striker. Our midfielders don't score enough. The defenders also don't chip in enough. In the 90s you could always rely on Nigel Pearson to bag a few from corners. 

I don't know what our xG statistics are so far this season but I know they've been quite poor the last few seasons. Even today, with all the shots on goal (21 or something) by all accounts, they weren't great shots or chances. 

Hopefully Harris can score more and Fletch finds some form in front of goal but that is the worry with only one up front. Bannan needs to score more and Reach needs to work on tap ins as well as screamers. I hope I'm wrong. We have a good squad but everyone needs to step up in front of the net. 

7 minutes ago, LittleG said:

We might need you to give us a bonus goal in quite a few more matches this season.

Haha

TBF we have 5 after two aways and a home.

Equates to a 77 goal season. Which is excellent. We’ve been getting around 60 recently.

Its ridiculous to predict a high-scoring season based on this, but even more ridiculous to predict we won’t score enough.

Its easy to blame the forwards but from what I saw from the game the problem comes from distribution urgency getting the ball into the box. Millwall put 10 men behind it and forced us to swing in crosses to have a fair shot at it; but our buildup was just way too slow. I think Rhodes had maybe 3 good chances but every time he could get to the ball he was basically standing still as he already made his run into the lane but the ball took an extra 2-3 second to get to him. All of those headers were from a stand still with no pace on it. We just need to be more urgent on the counter. I was having flashbacks of the 16-17 season under Carlos where Bannan would play the ball laterally too much instead of downfield, so then you have players like Fletcher running back for a link up pass to create any kind of space but now is out of position to do anything if he gets a return ball.

I think we are going to have to rely on Kieran Lee more than we all anticipated because as good as Luongo is, he's just a better version of Pelupessy but doesn't offer that extra drive in the final third, and Bannan will always play a distribution role no matter what.

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Haha

TBF we have 5 after two aways and a home.

Equates to a 77 goal season. Which is excellent. We’ve been getting around 60 recently.

Its ridiculous to predict a high-scoring season based on this, but even more ridiculous to predict we won’t score enough.

I totally agree that it's not feasible to predict either way what our goal scoring will equate to. However I am concerned that our only forward options off the bench today were JR and Nuihu. 

35 minutes ago, Nut said:

I've only seen us once this season which was last week against Barnsley. I was really impressed with how we played going forward but was worried we didn't take more of the chances we created. It sounds like today we had loads of possession and created chances but didn't take them. As much as I like Fletcher and appreciate what he does for the team, he's not prolific and if Rhodes isn't going to step up, who's going to score the goals? We've no-one in midfield who is capable of double figures so I feel it's going to be a struggle to win enough games to reach the top 6 unless we can keep it really tight at the back.

History suggests we need Lee fit to contribute a real goal threat from midfield. Must admit our striking options could be better. It’s laughable anybody says different because the consensus at the end of last season was get shut for most of them. We needed at least one striker coming in during the window. 

43 minutes ago, Nut said:

come back in May lol

13 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Been saying the same. I don’t believe we have enough goals in us to bother the top 6. 

We’ve lost our 3 best goal scorers (if you include FF who it seems will be a bit part player). 

I think most of us expect that FF will start v Luton.

With Harris seemingly our MOM I imagine we will see Harris and FF wide, swapping wings like Harris and Murphy did last week.

52 minutes ago, Nut said:

It was different today. Against Barnsley we made some more clear openings and really I felt it should have been at least four goals.

I'm thinking of the chance where Fletcher sent Reach through, Luongo getting squared through and the chance for Hutchinson. 

Today's shots were half chances. Credit Millwall they defended well and deep and got bodies in the way. 

Another thing which I don't think had been given enough credence is that the deepness of their defensive and midfield lines meant there was no space behind for the likes of Reach and especially Lee to make those late ghosted runs that they are so adept at and which they were doing against Barnsley.

Today was a tough game and we didn't have enough to break them down in the end. Their lad getting sent off really compacted the play. Had it stayed 11v11 id have actually fancied our chances of equalising (we'd looked positive in the first half) and going on to get a winner.

People will say we should busy teams like this, especially when they're down to ten men, but we all know football doesn't work like that.

What I will day is that it was nice to see us still ploughing on when in recent years we might have set up shop to defend a 1-0 defeat!

More positives than negatives so far this season.

Starting wih our willingness to get forward.