Forestieri

I don't want to over-analyse things, but this comment seems a little odd:

"I really felt that we were going to have to maybe defend a lead rather than chase a lead so I went with Jordan and Atdhe on the bench."

All managers have to live and die by such decisions, and there's obviously a certain element of hindsight at play here, but to leave out one of best attacking players because you didn't anticipate that we might need to come from behind in a tough away fixture seems a bit naïve to me.

• Like 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

"I really felt that we were going to have to maybe defend a lead rather than chase a lead so I went with Jordan and Atdhe on the bench."

All managers have to live and die by such decisions, and there's obviously a certain element of hindsight at play here, but to leave out one of best attacking players because you didn't anticipate that we might need to come from behind in a tough away fixture seems a bit naïve to me.

Naive is being very kind 

1 hour ago, siowls said:

We had six in midfield at one point - threw everything at them. Easy to say he’d put it in the net but in reality he offers nothing more than what was on the pitch today. 

Enjoy the rest of the season!

If Rhodes was on the pitch then it's safe to say FF offers more.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Also, if you’re defending a lead you either need Nuhiu to help win the balls and Forestieri to counter, Rhodes is more of a box man. If chasing something then there’s a case for any of them really but in both scenarios you’d want FF available.

Bullen being very honest in his interviews. 

Quite refreshing. 

I'm sure they'll be packing off to media training if he gets the job though so he can speak in riddles like the rest of them do and give absolutely nothing away that can be picked up on and looked at in minutiae...

• Haha 1

Well, he's owned his decision at least, and not tried to pass it off as being merely due to injury, but it's a questionable decision to leave FF out of the 18.

Certainly, I've seen FF come on and change a game more times than I've seen Rhodes do so.

Bullen's reasons for not taking him are ridiculous.

He shouldn't be our manager.

With regards to Nando - a lot of criticism coming his way about his performances. The last stand out performance was against Norwich away (champions), towards the end of the season, when he pulled off one of the best goals the division has seen.

It's absolutely criminal that he isn't even getting picked for the bench.

And yes, he would have been the difference today because the guy scores goals. It's what he does.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Quite refreshing. 

I'm sure they'll be packing off to media training if he gets the job though so he can speak in riddles like the rest of them do and give absolutely nothing away that can be picked up on and looked at in minutiae...

I dunno, I always thought Bruce was pretty open and honest when being interviewed during his time here...well, until the post-Lincoln friendly one, anyway.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Quite refreshing. 

I seem to remember Bullen once saying that he actually did some kind of sports' journalism course when he quit playing while he was deciding which direction to go in next.

Just now, markowl said:

Nice to see owlstalk reverting to type.

Players not in the squad are world beaters when we lose.

Because nobody rated Forestieri at all until now, you mean?

:duntmatter:

Come on, I'm as much a critic of 'Heffernan Syndrome' as the next man, but I don't think it really applies in this case.

6 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

Bullen's reasons for not taking him are ridiculous.

Don't worry it won't last. 

Soon as they've had him away hell be using analogies about omelettes and vague comments about it not being so much about balance as balance.

11 minutes ago, torres said:

To not have him on the bench for tactical reasons is ridiculous 

Especially when both Nuhiu and Rhodes are selected who are unlikely to both get on and are both limited whereas FF offers options up top, wide, or even at CAM.

And when we have 2 full backs on the bench, yet we play the second half with midfielders moved to both full back positions.... 

11 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If this is really the case I think he should have talked himself out of the permanent role  lol

7 minutes ago, cowl said:

I seem to remember Bullen once saying that he actually did some kind of sports' journalism course when he quit playing while he was deciding which direction to go in next.

Aye. Rings a bell.

Mind there's a difference between being a journalist and media trained.

Journalist - Make things up

Media trained - Being vague to a point where no one remembers the question!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Murphy only occasionally got into crossing positions inside the box and as well as Harris did he tended to run across the box and passed sideways.

Neither have Forestieri's composure on the ball to draw fouls and beat players, He is also more of a goal;scorer than either of the other two.

I think he could have made the difference today.

Thats fine in hindsight, but Bully had got it right until today.

FF will get plenty of opportunity, almost certainly starting Tuesday. 

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Especially when both Nuhiu and Rhodes are selected who are unlikely to both get on and are both limited whereas FF offers options up top, wide, or even at CAM.

And when we have 2 full backs on the bench, yet we play the second half with midfielders moved to both full back positions.... 

Agreed 

To have odabajo on the bench allows for back up for both full back positions as he can play either 

So having Fox on the bench was a debatable decision.

To not have FF but have Rhodes and Nuhiu is a huge call  - sadly I think it’s bitten him on the backside 

40 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

No fan pressure? To bring back senior players.? That’s why the clown man got the sack. Don’t invent scenarios. 

Nobody would have batted an eyelid if he hadn't brought those 3 non match fit players straight in the day after Jos went. But he did and it paid dividends straight away with 2 wins and 2 Westwood clean sheets after Dawson had kept 2 in over 4 months. So I'm  not sure how you can say you think he'd have preferred to play Dawson (who hasn't done too much wrong when he's played to be fair)

He kept Jos's formation but tactically was totally different. And he's playing 433 with 2 wingers this season, Jos would have nightmares playing that attacking!