FINISHING XI-:

Westwood

Hutchinson       Lees           Borner     Reach

Murphy       Luongo        Bannan       Harris

Rhodes      Fletcher

image.png.0d1b3b5c267f1d85ad18d28bd66d095f.png

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Thanks 1

Thought Harris stood out as always available but everyone played ok. Palmer was unlucky to be given a yellow card for a fair tackle purely because the ref succumbed to Neil Harris' and the Millwall benches appeals.

The most outstanding aspects of the game to me however are

1) Only 5 mins of added time - 5 subs in 2nd half and 30 seconds to a minute of timewasting at every Millwall free kick and goalkick. Ref finally booked their right back after 92 minutes.

2) I don't see how we could have given away 16 fouls to their 5 when Fletcher was fouled every time he went for a ball in the air. This happened last season in both games but at home they get away with it.

3) The 2nd half was crying out for Forestieri. Where was he? This was exactly the type of game where we needed a different option to pace as Millwall had everyone within 5 yards of their area all the way through the 2nd half.

We did not deserve to lose that.

Edited by the mighty wednesday

Lee came off early but worked really hard to harry their midfielders and link defence with attack so I've voted for him. He's had a superb start to the season.

Honourable mentions to Börner, who was quiet but didn't really get anything wrong, and Harris who was our most dangerous outlet despite being doubled up on for pretty much the entire game.

Lee Hutch Reach Harris Borner Palmer  were All good 

Baz did well when he came on , should have started for me 

Murphy was poor 

Rest average , Lees was ok but not sure who was at fault for the goal Westwood flapped and Lees and Iorfa didn't take care of Smith 

Gone for Hutch MOM 

Murphy was poor.  Lees was beaten in the air too much. 

Everyone else played well but we didn’t seem to have a connection between the strikers and wingers - balls in weren’t well timed with attacking runs. 

10 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Lee Hutch Reach Harris Borner Palmer  were All good 

Murphy was poor 

Rest average , Lees was ok but not sure who was at fault for the goal Westwood flapped and Lees and Iorfa didn't take care of Smith 

Gone for Hutch MOM 

Tend to agree with you about Murphy but he got a bit better in 2nd half. He'd have been subbed for FF if my application for manager had been taken seriously by DC.

It would have been a routine save, I think, if Westwood had stayed on his line.

48 minutes ago, Bez said:

Murphy was poor.  Lees was beaten in the air too much. 

Everyone else played well but we didn’t seem to have a connection between the strikers and wingers - balls in weren’t well timed with attacking runs. 

Our strikers aren't used to getting quality crosses into the box

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Well there was not much in terms of quality crosses today 

Zero quality. overhit ,underhit or floated into no mans land! Neither did either winger run at the defender INSIDE the box looking to make the defender commit to a tackle. Poor from both wing men in my opinion 

1 hour ago, HootHoot said:

Is FF not quietly serving his six match ban? Seems strange to leave him out of the squad altogether

Has anything been said about this?

If he’s not injured it’s a strange decision to not have him on the bench - crying out for him today 

Westwood - 5 - Another potentially game changing error in two games. Elementary mistake which has ultimately cost us. Decent save in the 2nd half from O'Brien's volley, but looked hesitant with crosses in the 1st half. 

Iorfa - 5 - Steady enough 1st half, but allowed Smith a free header for the goal. 

Lees - 7 - Defended strongly throughout, and competed well up against Millwall's direct approach.

Borner - 7 - Another examination passed without any worry's. Looked strong and assured, like he has done in the last two games also.

Palmer - 7 - Another accomplished performance at left back. Forming a good partnership with Harris, offering good support and could've scored with a decent effort in the 1st half. 

Hutchinson - 6 - Struggled to make an impact on the game in the 1st half, got drawn into making a lot of niggling fouls. Did alright at full back, but lacked a bit of quality in offensive areas. 

Reach - 7 - Best player in the 1st half. Looked to be positive and play on the front foot. Couple of speculative efforts, and although drifted out of the game a bit in the 2nd half, still provided an option from left back. 

Lee - 6 - Drifted in and out of the game, but showed some nice, neat touches throughout. Thought it was the right time to replace him, and go 4-4-2. 

Murphy - 6 - Didn't see as much of the ball as Harris, but was still a threat to Millwall, despite things not really going for him. 

Harris - 7 - Man of the Match - Saw a lot of the ball, and gave Romeo a tough time (although I thought he defended reasonably well against him). Constant threat, but probably should've yielded some attacking contribution from the amount of danger he posed. 

Fletcher - 6 - Struggled to compete aerially up against Pearce and Cooper, and as a result dropped deeper. Things improved when Rhodes went to play alongside him, and on another day, would've put away one of the few half chances he was presented.

Bannan - 7 - Really positive change. Bannan was afforded the space of The Den against Millwall's 10 men, and his probing from deep areas ensured we dominated possession and kept Millwall penned in. 

Luongo - 6 - Struggled to have a real impact on the game, and his frustration began to show late on, as he committed numerous silly fouls which played right into Millwall's hands. 

Rhodes - 6 - The game was crying out for him, and with some better, more measured crossing, could've got on the teamsheet. Probably a bit disappointed with the glancing header from the corner which went wide. 

Overall... disappointing result, but performance wise, although it could've been better, generally, we didn't do a lot wrong. Millwall really didn't cause us any problems from a defensive standpoint, and following the dismissal we dominated proceedings. That said, despite the number of shots on goal, we didn't really create a chance of real note, and that was a major disappointment. 

It's these sort of games that highlight our subtle deficiencies within the squad. We've a number of quality players...but how many true match winners have we got? Someone who can win a game with a moment of genius? Not many. Forestieri...and that's only based on the form of three seasons ago. The likes of Leeds, WBA etc. take something from these games, because they have that. 

Nothing too majorly worry about. I was pleased with the way Bullen went and attacked this game. He selected a side capable of standing up to Millwall's physicality, but still went with an attacking mindset. All three of his substitutions were proactive, and positive in respect to trying to change the game. Too often we've seen managers replace like for like, but Bullen changed personnel, roles and systems in an attempt to turn the game around. 

• Like 1

Westwood and lees missed it, iorfa was pushed and unsighted by lees' jump and no little man on post despite set piece threat, so 2 players, defensive set piece tactics and officials at fault for their winning goal imo.

Edited by Ash77

25 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Aren't both goals we have conceded this season been from Harris being beaten to a header in our own box?

He was in the vicinity, but it’s unlikely he was supposed to be marking the giant Smith. It’s our Achilles heel, headers conceded in the six yard box. In that respect, Hector is a huge miss. Actually, should we be bringing the diminutive Harris back to defend corners? Wouldn’t he be better employed occupying defenders on the half way line?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hugeowl said:

f

Murphy was poor 

Gone for Hutch MOM 

went for hutch also. Harris was and all other outfield players were good but no end product from any of harris crosses. Not really all his fault as some of the finishing was really poor. Can only remember Bannan having a chance that Harris created with a square cross pass, thought Bannans placed shot with the inside of his foot was soft and wrong choice as keeper was still nearer the post from closing the angle to harris. Maybe he tried to wrong foot the keeper. Needed more power from that range as accuracy should have been sacrificed for more power instead of trying to place for any realistic chance of equalising

Very disappointing result. We should not get too downbeat. We by far the better team away from home on a off day. Ref was poor also. Rhodes would have had a pen for the glancing header he flashed wide due to his shirt being pulled causing him to mistime it. Ref gave every foul Millwalls way before sending off. After we did not stand a chance of a decision from him. The team today was not setup for attacking a ten man team 1 nill up that was sitting back. Sending off totally nullified the swift counter attack I sure was planned. Cant blame Bullen but he will have learnt to have a plan c for the unexpected. Also thought Lee should have been rested and hope he was taken off for anything other than injury with Tuesday in mind. 

I wanted Dawson to get another game as away after a clean sheet another game could have done his confidence a world of good. As it happened Westwood cost us a goal when he flapped at the corner. He made a terrible decision as Millwall was putting 3 men around him boxing him in. Any attempt to clame a corner cross near the edge of his goal area was very risky as he was bound to be held up. The ref was never going to award him a foul so why he flapped instead of staying on his line is anyones guess. The chance to score was not on until he missed it. Staying on his line would have been a save I could have made from the header. Corners was always going to be a threat for Millwall and the KW is experienced to know that's not how to deal with that situation. 2 games 2 very bad errors by Westwood !! New contracts have this affect. What does Dawson have to do for a chance to keep his place for more than just a stand in ?? The majority feel that KW is our best keeper. I probably agree. Players standing in should keep place for a good performance. Bullen is left with a much more difficult decision now for our keeper in next game than it was for Dawson to keep his place for 1 more game. I firmly believe players of all standard and experience benefit from knowing that their performance in a game is judged for whether they play in the next game or not. The benefits of this far outweigh any negatives. Ultimately everyone knows where they stand. Without thoughts of favouritism or resentment