J VanAken

4 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Carlos spoke to Swansea while in the Wednesday job. https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/carlos-carvalhal-reveals-he-held-talks-with-swansea-chairman-during-sheffield-wednesday-stint-437235?amp facts. 

So Carlos did speak to Swansea. Asked to leave when fans start to turn. Carlos jumped when it got tough. 

Both him and Chansiri agreed that it was best he left. After that, he was free to go where he liked.

Bruce left us when we told him he can't.

• Like 1

On blaming Carvalhal, there is something of a Morton's fork argument. If he was responsible for recruitment, then he shouldn't have been; and the blame for poor recruitment choices doesn't rest with him but withe the wider sset up. And if he wasn't responsible, then he wasn't responsible.

There was some good and bad recruitment. Reach and Fletcher would count as good acquisitions. So too Bannan and Forestieri. Examples of less succcessful recruitments are also obvious.

It seems pretty strange to me to credit or blame the then first team coach for any of it. The issues were rather deeper. This is all to be honest pretty obvious.

16 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Both him and Chansiri agreed that it was best he left. After that, he was free to go where he liked.

Nobody knows for sure Bruce was told he couldn’t leave. Bruce himself claims he went with DC’s consent. Our statement clearly states our issue is with Newcastle employing them, and acknowledges the fact they’d resigned. So they’re must’ve been some form of consent on our part for the resignations to be acknowledged days later. 

The fact is both Bruce and Carlos did us over, but in different ways. Fair enough Carlos will be given more slack because he achieved far more than Bruce, and rightly so. But he was definitely not the saint he’s been held up as since. 

24 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Both left for Prem jobs. Chansiri wasn’t happy he put out a statement fuming about Carlos. 

Edited by 1993swfc

Guest Theboylangers
4 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Doesn’t matter whether people think he’s poor or what they think of our recruitment at the time. 

Its the here and now what’s important and this departure means s very good window just got that little bit better 

Correct. We are always on about getting 'dead wood' out of the club. 

We've done this, credit to all concerned. 

For what it's worth, I don't think he would have made it at this level, too many flaws in his game for the pace of this league. 

I wish him well but cannot see him ever playing for us again. 

7 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

On blaming Carvalhal, there is something of a Morton's fork argument. If he was responsible for recruitment, then he shouldn't have been; and the blame for poor recruitment choices doesn't rest with him but withe the wider sset up. And if he wasn't responsible, then he wasn't responsible.

There was some good and bad recruitment. Reach and Fletcher would count as good acquisitions. So too Bannan and Forestieri. Examples of less succcessful recruitments are also obvious.

It seems pretty strange to me to credit or blame the then first team coach for any of it. The issues were rather deeper. This is all to be honest pretty obvious.

Not sure about that. Any recruitment needs to fit a managers philosophy and he said a fair few times he didn’t want to sign “bouncers”, nor did he really want to play with wingers.

When I saw him at Cardiff I really thought we had signed a top player here.  Looked brilliant that game and we had got a bargin.

Can't image we paid 4m up front,  again must have been performance based / promotion based deal.

Unfortunately it wasn't to be and another player that we had high hopes for goes into the same bin as Abdi & Co.

Now we seem to have a proper recruitment team setup which has been evident from our business so far and we won't be making

these type of mistakes again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

When I saw him at Cardiff I really thought we had signed a top player here.  Looked brilliant that game and we had got a bargin.

Can't image we paid 4m up front,  again must have been performance based / promotion based deal.

Unfortunately it wasn't to be and another player that we had high hopes for goes into the same bin as Abdi & Co.

Now we seem to have a proper recruitment team setup which has been evident from our business so far and we won't be making

I think Luongo is a prime example of the approach we are taking as he was completely under the radar and almost a bit of a forgotten player in this league. But when you look at the various stats for his performances, coupled with age and his contract running down it looks like it was some good research. 

However the recruitment team and manager have to be in sync and it’s a shift in ideology on how we play which has allowed us to begin targeting players who can carry the ball and not rely on possession and technique alone.

7 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

It almost feels like wasted breath, but for the gajillionth time, it wasn't £4m.

It was, at the time, reported to be €4m which included add ons including a promotion fee and appearance bonuses. That equates to about £2.7m. As we haven't been promoted and he's barely played, it's probably much closer to a £2m fee. The £4m was a myth created by Owlstalk because apparently the Euro and Pound are the same and installments don't exist.

English Championship football was simply too higher standard for him.
I expect he will be on far too much money for his loan club to pick up all the tab but done well to get him out the door and recoup some money back.
Think the 2 embargo have sharpened minds that the way we conducted transfer business before with no out goings was not the way forward.

10 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If he wasn't happy, why did he accept his resignation? :rolleyes:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-wednesday-dejphon-chansiri-leaps-to-the-defence-of-under-fire-owls-boss-carlos-carvalhal-440557 Funnily enough you first piped up saying he was sacked. That changed :laugh: Read the statementsfrom less than 12 hours before he left. That’s not someone happy Carlos wanted to leave!

But I’ve kinda work out you don’t deal in facts, just waffle on about nothing instead :laugh: I doubt  you’ve read any link I’ve generously posted for you! The whole reason you’ve piped up is because I said something about Steve Bruce off the pitch and you wrote a whole paragraph about what happens on the pitch! :laugh:

Edited by 1993swfc

Our recruitment team..

" We're interested in JVA, how much do you want for him?"

Them

"Erm"

Us

"2 million?"

"Wow"

"Ok ok 3 million and not a penny more"

"Wow ok"

"Dam your hard bargaining sir, 4 million! How's dose that sound"

"Erm..yes..yes that sounds erm..reasonable, do you want a bag with that?"

13 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

Why didn't he insist like Bruce did and bring two recruitment people in who actually knew something ?