J VanAken

35 minutes ago, andypandy said:

Osnatraz.........hated it.......but a good move for Joost, game time, hopefully build confidence, and either return a better player or he will put himself in the shop window to move on !

Spent over six years there top place, watched a lot of VFL's games with quite a few other Brits and we made some good friends over there.

Skip to 2.20 in this, that's like it every home game and can get a tad lively. 

Bremen bruken pub was always good before and after a match, especially when someone brought them a CD with this on to play as they wanted British football songs, luckily they all saw the funny side.

12 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

No point in comparing anything if your going to go down that road nothing is ever in the same context.   Your just attempting to close the debate down with a very clumsy tactic.  

I’m talking to someone I agree with not someone I dont agree with. So I wasn’t really debating with someone else. Weird tactic. 

Edited by 1993swfc

28 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Ridiculous people blindly support Carlos no matter what he did. Just because he finished 4th and 6th he’s deemed the “best manager in the last 20”, their is no context in that because none had the financial backing of Carvalhal! Steve Bruce did more off the field in 6 months than Carvalhal did in 3 years.

Bruce took us from 17th to 12th and left us high and dry and without a manager..

Carlos took his from 13th to Wembley and 90 minutes from the Premier League, then was a penalty miss away from taking us back there.

In terms of most fun I've had watching between Carlos and Bruce, Carlos wins hands down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Bruce took us from 17th to 12th and left us high and dry and without a manager..

Carlos took his from 13th to Wembley and 90 minutes from the Premier League, then was a penalty miss away from taking us back there.

In terms of most fun I've had watching between Carlos and Bruce, Carlos wins hands down.

Can you not read? I said off the field. 

1 hour ago, Owly Mowly said:

Wonder if a team coming from 3rd tier of German league be able to cover 100% - hope so 

They are a good team on the up,they did well last season,even if it’s Liga 3 but they have made quite a few good signings so far and look to mean business, so a really good move all around

It's a bit harsh to say he was rubbish, maybe he could have grown into Championship football. Some players need time to adapt when they move here, given several months he might have found his feet. He came here, played a few games and wasn't up to it, his confidence was shot then he got injured. He never really had a chance.

If there is a fault it's with the person who signed him, either he was rubbish and shouldn't have been signed or he was a potentially good player who was never going to get the time to find his feet because we couldn't lose points while he learned how to play here.

If he can resurrect his carrer then good for him.

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

At Championship level he’s absolutely awful.

A very expensive mistake.

It’s crazy someone authorised the signing of someone that had played as little games as Van Aken. In 16/17 (year before he joined us) he only managed 26 games and 15/16 only played 20 times. He’d managed 46 games in 2 years prior to signing him, madness. 

3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Some people say the best measure of a manager is the state you were in when he left 

We were an absolute basket case of a team and squad when Carlos left and heading for relegation 

Bruce had a few good results and was starting to turn the squad around.

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Who cares about off the field. It's what happens on it that counts.

Off the field though, Bruce mugged us off and left us managerless a week into pre season.

Well that’s what I was on about before you waffled on about something I wasn’t talking about. Yeah why should we care about FFP? Or Bruce bringing in Strudwick and a proper recruitment team. Carlos jumped ship to Swansea as soon as it got difficult. 

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Vfl Osnabruck are 2nd tier not 3rd. Promoted from liga 3 as champions last season.

Very good standard football. 

I’ve watched them a few time over last season and they played some good football,they have now signed some good player and will get better

• Like 1

Good luck Joost.

In the Carlos debate, there are two facts that don't seem to be able to co-exist in some people's minds.

Firstly Carlos had a high degree of relative success at Hillsborough and brought a feel good factor back to the club via the playoff final etc.

Secondly Carlos was in charge of the players and backroom staff in the lead up to and duration of our worst injury crisis in recent times.

Both of these things are down to the same guy.

17 minutes ago, lawsom34 said:

Spent over six years there top place, watched a lot of VFL's games with quite a few other Brits and we made some good friends over there.

Skip to 2.20 in this, that's like it every home game and can get a tad lively. 

Bremen bruken pub was always good before and after a match, especially when someone brought them a CD with this on to play as they wanted British football songs, luckily they all saw the funny side.

I lived there for 3 years and went to a few matches too, they where a good team then and what I’ve seen last season there on there way again,like you said the place was always buzzin...great times

16 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Well that’s what I was on about before you waffled on about something I wasn’t talking about. Yeah why should we care about FFP? Or Bruce bringing in Strudwick and a proper recruitment team. Carlos jumped ship to Swansea as soon as it got difficult. 

Carlos got the sack the went to Swansea.

Bruce left us before the season after talking to a new team behind our backs for a month.