September 9th 78/79 season

4 hours ago, ArthurTeaCake said:

I could be wrong but was that the last time we had a midfielder score 20 in a season?

bloody hell ,I thought you was talking out your arris ….so looked it up and spot on mate 21 goals that season .

6 hours ago, MartinOwlMan said:

76 - 77 season

12. Sat 23 Oct  SHREWSBURY TOWN......... 0-1     6     17,030   
13. Sat 30 Oct  MANSFIELD TOWN.......... 0-2    11     15,559   

14. Tue  2 Nov  ROTHERHAM UNITED........ 1-3    12     18,204   Rodger Wylde

I was at all 3 of these games, what miserable times they were...

I think Sir Rodger missed a spot kick against Shrewsbury who won a bit against the run of play. “Wednesday pay the penalty” was a headline the next day. We weren’t very good back then but strangely, they remain some of my fondest memories as a fan.

pS it would be interesting to know how many teams got a crowd better than 18k back then even in Div 1

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

5 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Think Baggies went down that season and had already been relegated at that point. We had just lost the Semi v Everton and the atmosphere was completely flat. My only trip to the Hawthorns.

Cold and wet Tuesday night and a shitty away end.

8 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I think Sir Rodger missed a spot kick against Shrewsbury who won a bit against the run of play. “Wednesday pay the penalty” was a headline the next day. We weren’t very good back then but strangely, they remain some of my fondest memories as a fan.

pS it would be interesting to know how many teams got a crowd better than 18k back then even in Div 1

the lowest average in div 1 that season was 17k (Leicester )who also had the lowest highest gate of 26k so they all did   ...our average was 11k second only to Wrexham who just topped by a 100 or so .

Guest Theboylangers

I'm sure my first game was a 0-0 draw at home versus Southend, maybe 77/78 season. I will look it up unless any stattos on here have the facts? I was at the 0-0 Carlisle game when we got promoted, remember the pitch invasion but my Gran didn't fancy running on lol

2 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Away days were like Lincoln, Mansfield and Chesterfield. 

And bouncing on Preston's wooden kop, cops said stop bouncing, kin ell they shouldn't have said that. Like a trampoline in the end

If SAG had a been there that day :biggrin: