September 9th 78/79 season

16 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Crowds in general were terrible that season.

22nd April 1986.  WBA v Owls 1-1 in front of 6,201.             10,259 for Leicester v Owls.  

Attendances were low right around country in them days, clubs like Leeds, Chelsea and Newcastle were all getting well below 20,000 for most games.

Wed 27 Apr 1982 A Leeds United............ 2-1      16,591   Gary Bannister, Own Goal
Edited by bradowl

Bizarrely that Southend match was my first game too. My grandad had spent ages trying to get me to go but I wouldn't for some reason despite following everything in the Star for ages... I then thought that game was the most exciting thing I'd ever seen and never stopped going. We lost the next match 2-3 (Plymouth or Lincoln, Tynan's last game rings a bell??) Then it was a shocking 0-0, could've been the Carlisle game..... Been downhill ever since.

53 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Crowds in general were terrible that season.

22nd April 1986.  WBA v Owls 1-1 in front of 6,201.             10,259 for Leicester v Owls.  

Think Baggies went down that season and had already been relegated at that point. We had just lost the Semi v Everton and the atmosphere was completely flat. My only trip to the Hawthorns.

4 hours ago, Greengrass said:

.....and we were allowed to leave via Leppings Lane.

I probably stood on the Leppings Lane end that day. Yeah SAG take that 

I was at this Southend game, aged 9. My recollection is sitting in the south stand with my dad. Dave Cusack was playing for Southend having just been transferred by Wednesday and he was getting some proper abuse from the Hillsborough faithful.