September 9th 78/79 season

Would some one be able to tell me who scored for the owls vs Southend on this day 9/9/78/79 season

it was my very first game and for the life of me I can’t remember, I think Hornsby scored a penalty Thank you 

Edited by gary67mc

4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I think that season was my first match, could be wrong, but i knew it was home to Carlisle and finished 0-0. Awful game.

Just seen Stattos post - was thinking that even the day we celebrated going up from the Third we played an awful 0-0 with Carlisle - must have been so bad it felt like we lived through it twice!

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Just seen Stattos post - was thinking that even the day we celebrated going up from the Third we played an awful 0-0 with Carlisle - must have been so bad it felt like we lived through it twice!

Actually may have been that one as i remember promotion being part of it. Its a while ago so memory a bit vague.

7 minutes ago, MartinOwlMan said:

76 - 77 season

12. Sat 23 Oct  SHREWSBURY TOWN......... 0-1     6     17,030   
13. Sat 30 Oct  MANSFIELD TOWN.......... 0-2    11     15,559   

14. Tue  2 Nov  ROTHERHAM UNITED........ 1-3    12     18,204   Rodger Wylde

I was at all 3 of these games, what miserable times they were...

Assuming the stats are correct it just shows you how our crowds were a bit tricky to predict in the past. Take this from the season we came 5th in Division 1

38. Wed 16 Apr  ARSENAL................. 2-0     6     16,344   Carl Shutt, Mel Sterland

We got a bigger crowd against Shrewsbury when we were poo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Assuming the stats are correct it just shows you how our crowds were a bit tricky to predict in the past. Take this from the season we came 5th in Division 1

38. Wed 16 Apr  ARSENAL................. 2-0     6     16,344   Carl Shutt, Mel Sterland

That is amazing!

I did notice however that we had a very good record at Hillsborough that season before that run of three games

25 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Crowds in general were terrible that season.

22nd April 1986.  WBA v Owls 1-1 in front of 6,201.             10,259 for Leicester v Owls.