European Football Official Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, markowl said:

True.

It must be amazing getting to the giddy heights of the Champions League every season.

Then losing to some part timers from Azerbaijan or Romania.

It is mate. Football can be brutal towards the fans. 14 mins to go, cruising it, then disaster strikes. That’s life.

58 minutes ago, John O'Brien said:

It is mate. Football can be brutal towards the fans. 14 mins to go, cruising it, then disaster strikes. That’s life.

You've still got the Europa. I’m well overdue a European trip I really hope Hearts qualify this season. Do you get over to many of the away European ties?

lol The best we have this season is a trip to Waterford to watch our U20/Colts team in the Challenge Cup. I’ll be giving that a miss.

3 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

You've still got the Europa. I’m well overdue a European trip I really hope Hearts qualify this season. Do you get over to many of the away European ties?

lol The best we have this season is a trip to Waterford to watch our U20/Colts team in the Challenge Cup. I’ll be giving that a miss.

Not so much now mate with my lad at Wednesday. But good luck to Hearts with the trip across the water.

On 16/08/2019 at 08:57, Beighton Owl 87 said:

ITV have secured a last minute deal for La Liga coverage for this season. Starts tonight with Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona on ITV4 for anyone who enjoys Spanish football. 

Underwhelming performance from Barcelona last night. Messi out injured, Suarez injured first half, Dembele and Griezmann failed to step up. Will add weight to the calls to bring Neymar back! 

Great winning goal from Aduriz though. 

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Took in my first German game today, Greuther Fürth 1-0 Jahn Regensburg in the second tier. Brilliant atmosphere, dreadful game. Would probably compare it to a mid-table SPL game in terms of quality, somewhere maybe top end of League One.

Or Championship top level.

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Took in my first German game today, Greuther Fürth 1-0 Jahn Regensburg in the second tier. Brilliant atmosphere, dreadful game. Would probably compare it to a mid-table SPL game in terms of quality, somewhere maybe top end of League One.

When you say you took it in and second tier, were you actually at the game?

if so, what did they charge at the turnstiles?

Champions league group stage draw today. With UEFA classing Russia as one of the top 6 countries it means that Zenit are seeded in pot 1, ahead of some strong teams in pot 2 including last year's finalist and semi finalist, the team that's won 4 of the last 6 Champions Leagues, plus Atletico who have made 2 of the last 6 finals and Dortmund.  Inter in pot 3 makes for a potential group of death.

Can't see Celtic anywhere though lol