if it was Bullen - who would be his assistant?

38 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Steve Watson.

Good shout, he was the first person I thought of too. Went to see York City last year and they played some decent stuff. Has experience and possibly contacts at the highest level, and knows Bully and the club. I actually thought he was really underrated when he was here, his legs had definitely gone but he was still quality... and he scored against the pigs

I think it’s more likely Thompson would step up permanently to the first team. He was brought in by Megson as a first team coach and then moved to the academy by Jones.

We’ll have to probably being in a new under 23 coach though.

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

I’m going for Glenn Loovens again...I’ll get my tin hat. 

I wouldn’t mind Miguel or Jose

Loovens isn't a bad shout to be honest. Sensible bloke and although he was here he's also been around during his career. Would he give up playing to become assistant manager and has he got his 'badgers'.

2 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Ignore the Stewart Graye comments - it was just a suggestion.

The main point - who could Bullen bring in? Any ex-colleagues? Do you tend to know your assistant from previous?

LB seems to have all angles covered with his current staff.  They've looked at the opposition, got everyone fit, tuned the tactics to each match/team.  Makes you wonder why clubs have to have 3-5 first-team coaches - can dilute the messages.  Just a thought 

Allardyce probably wouldn't take the managers job, because (A) we're not Prem and (B) he's said he wants his next job to be a DoF ... 

So maybe Allardyce could be a good liaison between Bullen & Chansiri? 

Could kinda kill 2 birds with 1 stone 

4 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

If it ain’t broke don’t try fix it leave it as it is bullen in charge no need for assistant clearly so far 

I don't think I can remember the last time I negged someone but my god man..we have 2 full time first team coaches at the club, and one is a goalkeeper coach. The rest are fitness and sports science. This is the championship not a pub team, who says the squad couldn't have won those games with absolutely no one in charge and no coaches? I think it's possible. These are the good times it's the hard times we need proper backroom staff to cope with the pressure, Bullen has done terrific but in my eyes those 2 wins and pre season prove we have a great squad not he's a great manager, he needs at least a few months to judge that and great squads will win games but they won't be promoted without a great manager

Edited by keepitsteel89

4 hours ago, prowl said:

Loovens isn't a bad shout to be honest. Sensible bloke and although he was here he's also been around during his career. Would he give up playing to become assistant manager and has he got his 'badgers'.

Met him before espanyol game and he said another year at Sunderland but ‘who knows!’ with a glint in his eye. Made me think at the time 

Guest gizowl

Why do we need  DOF, just had the best transfer window for yrs ,so scouting and recruiting is good which was set up by Bruce, Academy the best we've had ever,if Bullen is given the job he needs to recruit a couple of coaches and decide the roles they take,him and DC will already have a good working relationship and trust each other, so why bring a middle man in to potentially rock the boat. 

23 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Why do we need  DOF, just had the best transfer window for yrs ,so scouting and recruiting is good which was set up by Bruce, Academy the best we've had ever,if Bullen is given the job he needs to recruit a couple of coaches and decide the roles they take,him and DC will already have a good working relationship and trust each other, so why bring a middle man in to potentially rock the boat. 

I'm pretty sure Bruce covered manager like your old school manager and did this himself too.

Now, does Bullen need this?  Who knows.   I think you only go for this position if your club decides it's the route they want to go down.   Managers have to be on board with it, and who is more important, manager or DOF?   Arguably you appoint a DOF for longer term than you expect a manager to be in position.